Lyngdorf MP-40 AV Processor Review & Comments

A lot of folk would like such a device, unfortunately it is forbidden under the terms of HDCP licensing to provide digital outputs for any of the higher end lossless codecs.

Yes, I recall a conversation with Meridian about this some 10 years ago, I think they have a licence to do something but no one else can following some involvement in the HDMI development, I like Meridian you buy in to digital to speaker and thats not for me.

You could use an Oppo 203 with VanityHD mod., this provides a digital 7.1 output board with spdif or AES. So you could use the Oppo as pre-amp and then connect digitally to your choice of DACs and amps. They stopped making those digital boards as Oppo stopped the production of its blu ray players but time to time they show op on the Bay.
I'm aware you could use such a device if you wanted to, but it would limit you to less than state of the art audio formats (7.1 only). And the Oppo players are a bit cranky in their own right (audio format changes causing audio to go missing, etc).

I’ve been thinking about upgrading from my Arcam AVR550 to the MP40. I have M&K IW300s in the front, 4 IW150s for surround and a couple for atmos all powered by a Yamaha 11 channel power amp; plus 2 SVS SB4000s. With an oppo, Apple TV and Virgin, I think I’m fine with the 3 inputs (current set up allows for xbox connection but its not essential). Most important is that I need to connect my 65 Sony OLED and my Sony 4K projector with no drop off on quality. Can this be done?
I have a lot of hard surfaces in the room and this isn’t going to change, so very interested in what Room Perfect can do for me. It sounded great at Rob’s but that was in a treated room.

You could use an Oppo 203 with VanityHD mod., this provides a digital 7.1 output board with spdif or AES. So you could use the Oppo as pre-amp and then connect digitally to your choice of DACs and amps. They stopped making those digital boards as Oppo stopped the production of its blu ray players but time to time they show op on the Bay.

A number of devices offer digital output and most will not down sample if HDCP is not present. If you are using an HTPC or media player HDCP wont likely be an issue. If you are using other source devices it can be stripped.

JBL SDP-55 - Dante Output - Dante output not yet stable
Lyngdorf - AES Output
Storm Audio - AES or AVB Output
Datasat - AES or Dante Output

I’ve been thinking about upgrading from my Arcam AVR550 to the MP40. I have M&K IW300s in the front, 4 IW150s for surround and a couple for atmos all powered by a Yamaha 11 channel power amp; plus 2 SVS SB4000s. With an oppo, Apple TV and Virgin, I think I’m fine with the 3 inputs (current set up allows for xbox connection but its not essential). Most important is that I need to connect my 65 Sony OLED and my Sony 4K projector with no drop off on quality. Can this be done?
I have a lot of hard surfaces in the room and this isn’t going to change, so very interested in what Room Perfect can do for me. It sounded great at Rob’s but that was in a treated room.
The Lyngdorf will work perfectly in an untreated room. RoomPerfect excels at this and does not want extensive or need a room treatment.
If you want to try dont hesitate to get in touch.
Rich@SeriouslyCinema

A number of devices offer digital output and most will not down sample if HDCP is not present. If you are using an HTPC or media player HDCP wont likely be an issue. If you are using other source devices it can be stripped.

JBL SDP-55 - Dante Output - Dante output not yet stable
Lyngdorf - AES Output
Storm Audio - AES or AVB Output
Datasat - AES or Dante Output
We’ve recently supplied an MP60 with AES digital out. The MP60 has been designed to work with Meridian products and Meridian now only specify the MP60 as the de facto processor for their multichannel systems.

I'm aware you could use such a device if you wanted to, but it would limit you to less than state of the art audio formats (7.1 only). And the Oppo players are a bit cranky in their own right (audio format changes causing audio to go missing, etc).

To be honest I would prefer a state of the art 7.1 set up then a mediocre atmos set up.

This is an example of "real" hi-res in 5.1. No audio over HDMI in this set up as you cannot get full hi-res over HDMI, IN MULTICHANNEL. Stereo is a different story.
AIX Records, Revel Speakers, Benchmark Audio 5.1 High Resolution Demo

To be honest I would prefer a state of the art 7.1 set up then a mediocre atmos set up.

This is an example of "real" hi-res in 5.1. No audio over HDMI in this set up as you cannot get full hi-res over HDMI, IN MULTICHANNEL. Stereo is a different story.
AIX Records, Revel Speakers, Benchmark Audio 5.1 High Resolution Demo
This is getting a bit off topic, but no-ones arguing for a mediocre anything here...

We’ve recently supplied an MP60 with AES digital out. The MP60 has been designed to work with Meridian products and Meridian now only specify the MP60 as the de facto processor for their multichannel systems.
So is the AES out only active with unencrypted Non-HDCP sources and / or Room perfect processing of an AES out from a DCI server? There's precious little information about either the AES IO or the AES67 output in the manuals for the MP60 product.

The AES out works with all sources as normal and RoomPerfect is applied.
Really? Are you sure the AES works with HDMI HDCP protected sources? That would seem to be in contra of the HDCP license which was always limited to no digital outputs above 48K / 16bit... I wonder how come. Or are there special rules now if you can afford a £12k processor? :) Lyngdorf aren't alone as the list above from @Krobar shows, but something must have changed unless they're all "flipping the bird" to HDCP... :rotfl: Does anyone have any sources on this?

The MP40 only has a single hdmi out.
This will not molest the picture in anyway.
you can use an hdmi splitter form HD Fury.
I could easily live with 3 HDMI inputs but I could not spend £8k on a pro that needs a splitter on the HDMI out, even though your professional advise will be that its fine. (I could always bin the TV I suppose !)

Last edited:
I could easily live with 3 HDMI inputs but I could not spend £8k on a pro that needs a splitter on the HDMI out, even though your professional advise will be that its fine. (I could always bin the TV I suppose !)

Exactly where I stand. As an owner of the tdai 2170/marantz combo, I'd love to upgrade my system by replacing this with an mp40 as financially this is within my reach. An mp60 is out of my reach unfortunately. However I simply can't justify to myself spending £8k plus on a processor and then having to add an hdmi splitter, it would drive me mad lol
Thats not to say the mp40 isn't still a bargain... and I'm completely envious of all mp 40/50/60 owners 😂

Regards

Yes, I recall a conversation with Meridian about this some 10 years ago, I think they have a licence to do something but no one else can following some involvement in the HDMI development, I like Meridian you buy in to digital to speaker and thats not for me.
Meridian doesn't offer normal digital output. They have speaker link which is proprietary to Meridian, so a closed system only working from their processors to their speakers. No one else can use it, that's why they were able to do it when everyone else couldn't. This is similar to what Kaleidescape offers when it comes to ripping and playing back movies. It's a closed system.

Are you saying the MP60 offers speaker link output (16 RJ45 outputs)? That's the only way you could connect it directly to their speakers. In every other case you'd need a 271, but then I'm not getting the designing part for Meridian, as the 271 accepts digital and analogue connections from any processor and outputs SL to speakers.

I'm a fan, and a Lyngdorf processor is on my list of upgrades for the home cinema. So when the MP40 popped up, my eyes lit up. I have a long list of items that are higher priority for the family, so a more wallet friendly Lyngdorf processor minus the extra channels I don't need is certainly of interest to me.

Having said that, I agree with the general sentiment on here regarding the HDMI ports. It does seem stingy, but I also see the point that they do run the risk of being hoisted by their own petard by not compromising on their sound quality and cannibalising the MP60's market.

And Rock, as a gamer, 2.1 is a necessity for 120hz gaming and VRR. Given the scarcity of supply, you may have missed them, but PS5 and XSX have both launched this month, I believe they're quite popular ;-)
Anyhow, I'm already enjoying my PS5, and any amp/processor which doesn't support 2.1 is already obsolete in my book. Good job I'm a patient sort, and in no rush AV upgrade wise, as I can afford to wait to see what Lyngdorf do in the next few years!

Hi Mike.

I don't agree, I've a series X that runs 60hz via projector and I also have a 10 series LG with gsync and vrr. 120hz twitch gamers using Lyngdorf products would be incredibly low numbers If taken from MP40 pool as they tend to be pc master race on 120hz + monitors and the majority of them are using headsets / mouse and keys too.

Also there's a counter argument for nerfing the visuals for frames. The world of high end cinema is almost 100% causal console gamers.

Last edited:
A guy from our dev studio once said, "The problem with generalisations is, they're all wrong" 😄

I don't believe you have to be ESport pro or PC master race advocate to appreciate high refresh rates and VRR. I do believe that with this generation of consoles, both of these features are being brought to a much larger general audience than ever before.

Unfortunately, the PS5 or Series are still at the mercy of game engines and the fancies of art directors and producers, and the sad reality is, there's still titles that don't keep a lock on 60hz, so the argument can still be made for VRR providing a nicer experience.

You don't have to be, but the vast majority of Lyngdorf owners aren't going to be anything more than casual gamers if at all.

Most graphics cards are 2.0b and then as you point out there's the issue with titles and studios and again nerfing the visuals for frames.

I'm playing 60hz 4k HDR now in a 116'' screen. There are many trade offs to all of this, not to mention the primary function of the MP40 is a cinema processor first and everything else second.

A guy from our dev studio once said, "The problem with generalisations is, they're all wrong" 😄

I don't believe you have to be ESport pro or PC master race advocate to appreciate high refresh rates and VRR. I do believe that with this generation of consoles, both of these features are being brought to a much larger general audience than ever before.

Unfortunately, the PS5 or Series are still at the mercy of game engines and the fancies of art directors and producers, and the sad reality is, there's still titles that don't keep a lock on 60hz, so the argument can still be made for VRR providing a nicer experience.

I laughed at my mates (all PC gamers) when they bought 120hz monitors. Then I saw them in action and bought one myself. 24fps is far too low for rapid motion in films, 60fps/hz is too low for a FPS or rally game. End of.

As a PC gamer it is frustrating that your graphic card never stays current for long and you need more ompf, but at least we get gsync on monitors!

My projector won't do 120hz though so for me personally that's moot on a processor right now. However if I ever need to get a TV (flat printed oled or whatever ;-) or get a projector which does 120hz you can be sure I'll only get a processor or receiver which works with that.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom