Lyngdorf MP-40 AV Processor Review & Comments

jimperry

Standard Member
It was a very polarized issue in the review. Of course it makes no difference to me being an MP60 user and ironically having 2 inputs being used, or 3 if you count the few times I log into the server a year.

No one unit is perfect, but Lyngdorf are consistently pulling people in from the audio and video world with their products. If the HiFi wombles like it on their 2ch it's a pretty good seal of approval.

Would I like some extra features? sure, a couple.. but not much it does 99% of what I want. I can't think of a company that has HiFi products as good as their AV.. or vice versa.
When I discovered I could get the same level of audio quality as the MP-60 in the MP-40 it was a no-brainer. It's like the MP-40 was made for someone like me who wants a single setup with both high-end 2 channel support for music and multi-channel support for HT but doesn't need a ton of inputs. It's hard to find one unit that can be used for both under 10k USD with this level of quality.

mrapbp

Has anyone been able to secure any kind of discount on either the MP- 40 or MP-60? Looking around on Google the prices seem to be ther same everywhere.

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Has anyone been able to secure any kind of discount on either the MP- 40 or MP-60? Looking around on Google the prices seem to be ther same everywhere.

@Seriously Ltd does a bit for forum members, he's maybe worth a shout. Lyngdorf pricing is pretty strictly controlled to avoid gouging.

jimperry

Standard Member
Where are you located? I feel like I got a great price from my authorized dealer in the US.

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Feel free to contact us by pm/email to discuss.
Best regards
[email protected]

jfinnie

Distinguished Member
The workaround is a 4K 60hz 18gbps switch - you'd take 3 of your devices (especially if they're games consoles) plug them into the switch and then plug the switch into one of the HDMI inputs. The more important one's like TV boxes, media players, put them into the remaining ports.
<cough> 8 port switch see sig <cough> :p

mrapbp

Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the MP-40 and 60? Is it just the extra HDMI inputs ?

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
MP60 16 discrete channels
MP40 12 discrete and 4 AUX.
MP60 8 hdmi in 2 out
MP40 3 hdmi in 1 out
MP60 2.1 future board upgrade (price TBC), DTS: X Pro, Optional Digital AES input and or output for an additional cost.

[email protected]

arisholm

Just listen to a MP-40, 50 or 60 (all models share the same analog output stages and most stuff that affects SQ) in stereo or surround, even before running RP. The main difference I heard when moving from my "top of the line" Onkyo processor was the improved dynamics and the almost scary transient response! Night and day. And suddenly proper "imaging" of stereo sources. If I did not already have the MP-50 I personally would have saved up and bought the MP-60 as it is the most future proof and has all the options including digital outputs.

RickyDeg

even before running RP.

For some reason I was under the impression RP had to be executed before anything could even be played on the Lyngdorf(s) 😲

arisholm

For some reason I was under the impression RP had to be executed before anything could even be played on the Lyngdorf(s) 😲
Nope. Sounds great before RP too depending on how good room and speakers you have, but unlike some other RC it never sounds "worse" after ;-)

mrapbp

Can I get peoples views on what power amp/s they are using with the MP-40 please? I have been looking at the 11 channel Emotiva and Yamaha’s. 11 channels is enough and I will not be adding any more speakers. I would imagine either of these would do the job just fine but wanted to get some views.

Do I need to look at anything different/better? As I’m already spending so much I want to make sure I get this piece right as well (buy once but right etc!). Would something like 2 x Arcam A720’s make any sense (or something else?) or am I just over complicating things?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
We often use the Yamaha A5200 power amplifier with both the MP40 and MP60.

We keep a stock of them for this very reason.

jimperry

Standard Member
Can I get peoples views on what power amp/s they are using with the MP-40 please? I have been looking at the 11 channel Emotiva and Yamaha’s. 11 channels is enough and I will not be adding any more speakers. I would imagine either of these would do the job just fine but wanted to get some views.

Do I need to look at anything different/better? As I’m already spending so much I want to make sure I get this piece right as well (buy once but right etc!). Would something like 2 x Arcam A720’s make any sense (or something else?) or am I just over complicating things?

Thanks!
I use a Nord NC1200 SE for stereo listening. Colin makes very fine Class D amps. You can check out reviews on Audio Science Review. For multi-channel I add in a 5 channel ATI 525 amp. It is also a class D amp. ATIs is very well known and respected amplifier company here in US.

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Do you know if the 2.1 board will be retrofit or factory fit only with the product when new?

You can send it off to get the board upgrade and then I'd imagine the new units later in the year will come with these boards as standard, I'm sure the RRP will reflect this tho.

Steve356

Distinguished Member
Does this mean that if you get the 2.1 board, the MP40 will get the same number of HDMI inputs as the MP60, i.e. 5?

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Does this mean that if you get the 2.1 board, the MP40 will get the same number of HDMI inputs as the MP60, i.e. 5?

Given it's triangular layout, I'd say probably not - there must be boards in the way.

What I've never understood is why they put the hottest component at the bottom of the unit. It's just ribbon cables and screws that connect it. If it had been accessible by the top or even the bottom then like other processors it could have been dealer fit.

ru555

Hi...is see it has just one LFE...to connect 3 subs can you reassign the LFE to 3 of the AUX outputs?

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

BAFTA 2021 awards sees Nomadland as big winner
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung rumoured to be buying OLED TV panels from LG Display
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix signs with Sony for first streaming rights in U.S.
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Pro launches C10 MkII speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom