Lyngdorf MP-40 AV Processor Review & Comments

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
I made sure all my nephews had 120hz monitors when I built their PC's years ago.. I still do for some reason.. aren't kids supposed to be tech geniuses now? .. no, they're still idiots.

24hz (not p) isn't going away anytime soon, it's the go to look for all movies with some exceptions like the Hobbit (which was tore into for using 48hz?) and then a couple of movies at 60 hz look like day time soap, hence the term 'soap opera effect'

60hz is fine for me, I'm not a competitive twitch gamer, I'm 50yrs old now, it's a recreational distraction. But I do want my movies to look and sound good and at no point is HDMI 2.1 a factor in this. This product is not marketed for gamers, in fact every AVR's primary purpose is for movies and TV. You're not going to see a gsync badge on these any time soon.. altho D&M are probably working on a sticker for it now, as soon as the actual 2.1 chipset works of course.

And with the plethora of switches and video processors around this has been lifesaving for those that already want their sound as is but want to manipulate the video, be that from Lumagen or something from HDFury, right down to random Amazon £30 thing...

Someone mentioned a good scenario and I'm paraphrasing but goes along the lines of.

"Nice system, how does it sound?"

"Well, not the best... in fact I was just about to hang myself from the ceiling fan before you came round"

"Aye, but sure.. look at all them HDMI ports tho! that's dope AF"

Last edited:

Cribbster

Looking at all the love on these forums for Lyngdorf over recent months makes me think I really need to find a way to listen to them. It is dreamland stuff though although, for my hifi the integrated amps seem to be creeping in at an "affordable" price point either the TDAI-1120 or the TDAI-2170. Both seem appealing. Having never heard them though it's hard to say if they will move me from the curious to the "wow, got to have" camp. :)

Steve356

Distinguished Member
Looking at all the love on these forums for Lyngdorf over recent months makes me think I really need to find a way to listen to them. It is dreamland stuff though although, for my hifi the integrated amps seem to be creeping in at an "affordable" price point either the TDAI-1120 or the TDAI-2170. Both seem appealing. Having never heard them though it's hard to say if they will move me from the curious to the "wow, got to have" camp. :)

Try and get a home loan of one of them. :thumbsup:

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Please do feel free to get in touch. We can arrange for a home trial. They really are that good.
[email protected]

Steve Bruzonsky

Novice Member
I helped a friend demo and setup a Lyngdorf MP-50 SSP and was impressed price/performance.
The new MP-40 and MP-60 are ROON Ready. Its too bad you don't comment on performance with ROON, and whether the MP-40 plays ROON both stereo as well as multi-channel, and up to what sample/bit rate the MP40 can accept and process digital music files - 96-24, 48-24, 48-16, 44-24 or 44-16. And how does ROON music sound via ethernet ROON Ready as opposed to using the USB input.
And is the internal processing of the DAC done at 48-16, 48-24 or do we get lucky and 96-24? (My understanding is that the only SSPs with internal DAC processing higher than 48-16 or 48-24 are Theta Casablanca IV & V (96-24) and Trinnov (up to 192-24).

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Stereo only. The Trinnov implementation will do multi-channel.

I've always been slightly curious of this. Is Roon not just an all in one streaming interface that bitstreams audio out. I see people making roon core devices out of intel NUC's etc.

If the meta data is there surely it's fine.

Or is it the case of the internal player in the MP40 only accepts 2ch PCM?

dBrowne

I suspect the latter.

Edit: Cross quoting answer from the Lyngdorf MP-40 thread:
Also, ROON at least now does not do Dolby Atmos. Dolby Atmos is packed into the bitstream of Dolby TrueHD 5.1 or 7.1 and ROON does not decode bitstream.

Does this mean that Trinnov accesses and decodes Tidal outside of Roon?

Last edited:

Doubleroll

Attachments

• Specs for media player.pdf
    86.2 KB · Views: 112

Steve Bruzonsky

Novice Member
Trinnov SSPs DO NOT play TIDAL outside built-in ROON Ready ethernet - they play Tidal via ROON. Again, ROON plays PCM decoded from bitstream. If you want to play Dolby Atmos music, you need to havve a blu ray disc and blu ray player via HDMI, or an Apple TV 4k box via HDMI streaming TIDAL is my understanding. I do not doTIDAL as I hve lots of music on my server.

Steve Bruzonsky

Novice Member
Discussing the semantics of multi-channel ROON and AVRs and SSPs, here's what I recently posted at the Theta Digital thread at the 20k+ forum at AVS Forum:

When I talked to John Baloff (ATI-Theta digital tech) recently, it was clear that ROON if feasible for 5.1 channel 96-24 via ethernet is a difficult task and if possible no earlier than the next Casablanca model whenever that may be.

ROON for the Casablanca V is a lot more difficult than I anticipated. At CEDIA several years ago the top dog ROON guy made it sound easy, they supply the code, and all the manufacturer has to do is supply the hardware.

But here's what i have come to realize since then. NO receivers are ROON Ready (ethernet). The only SSPs that are ROON Ready are Trinnov (large engineering staff and the Trinnov SSPs process up to 192-24 at the sample/bit rate submitted, with no upsampling or downsampling); Lyngdorf MP-40/50/60 2 channel only and internal processing is at 48k so regardless of if it accepts up to 192-24 or 96-24 (not sure) processing is only at 48k; and Storm Audio, for which I don't know if it handles ROON 5.1 vs only 2 channel but again internal processing limited to 48k.

Sure implementing ROON Ready ethernet is easy - for 2 channel. Not for 5.1 channel at 96-24 or even higher, which is what Theta wants to do IF they can do it in a cost-effective manner. And obviously this is too complex for a field upgrade. HA! And at CEDIA several years ago, the ROON top dog made it sound like getting ROON into the Casablanca would be easy - sure, for 2 channel even, high resolution, as that year at CEDIA DCS 2 channel high end DAC was ROON Ready ethernet.

There are now many ROON TESTED components, 2 channel only. They ;may use built-in Google Chrome or Apple Airplay which process no higher than 44-16, 44-24 or 48-16 which may accept music data/files via ethernet and/or USB. Again, if Theta Digital does it, it MUST be at minimum 5.1 channels 96-24!

As I mention above, as stated by John Baloff: "But Theta is dependent on getting the right RJ45 card and ethernet ROON Ready processing at up to 5.1 96-24 (John said it would be great if it could do up to 5.1 192-24) and getting the kinks out so it works smoothly without issues. This has turned out to be a long term solution, for the next Casablanca model.

And for those relatively few Casablanca lovers who are really into music and who may even consider themselves as audiophiles, lets hope Theta is able to work this out. There ain't no guarentee, as you can see by the state of the industry when it comes to multi-channel 5.1 hi rez ROON Ready ethernet - only Trinnov has solved this, and Trinnov relies on extensive in house engineering and is not so dependent on other manufacturers for some of the hardware Theta requires to pull this off.

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Spotify from your phone, always a winner.

masa68

Novice Member
Anybody here who switched from an Arcam AV 40 to the Lyngdorf MP-40? How would you describe the SQ difference? Ignore the software issues of the Arcam.

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
We have swapped out several Arcams for MP40’s and 60’s. There is a very noticeable increase in performance.
[email protected]

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Regardless of performance, at least an MP40/60 will 'just work' rather than the issues with the AV40 (and I speak as an Arcam owner, though of the previous version).
It's depressing how many bugs modern equipment seems to have, though it's worth trying to find out the brands who give good support and regular updates (such as Lumagen do in the video world).

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Anybody here who switched from an Arcam AV 40 to the Lyngdorf MP-40? How would you describe the SQ difference? Ignore the software issues of the Arcam.

It isn't just the software. Some units won't even turn on and several Arcam dealers are not taking any more stock or going with other brands.

As soon as you add EDID, HDCP, High Bandwidth and DSP into an AVR it is no longer just a wee HiFi amp - it is a computer and since there is no real unified connection standard, then you will get some products that will not play with others.

mrapbp

I am considering one of these. Does anyone have any views on the lack of HDMI inputs, if it’s causing issues and if there is a work around? I have 5 and really don’t want to be swapping them around, especially at this price!

Thanks!

scrowe

Distinguished Member
I am considering one of these. Does anyone have any views on the lack of HDMI inputs, if it’s causing issues and if there is a work around? I have 5 and really don’t want to be swapping them around, especially at this price!

Thanks!
What display device and what are the 5 HDMI devices?

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member

Thanks!

The workaround is a 4K 60hz 18gbps switch - you'd take 3 of your devices (especially if they're games consoles) plug them into the switch and then plug the switch into one of the HDMI inputs. The more important one's like TV boxes, media players, put them into the remaining ports.

In theory, that should work - there are more expensive solutions, but here is a pikey examples:

Amazon product

Or you can sacrifice the audio and buy something cheaper - like one of the new Anthem processors. I wouldn't be looking at anything else if reliability is a concern.

mrapbp

I have a Samsung QE75Q90R TV and the HDMI inputs I use are:

SkyQ
Blu-ray player
Zappiti box
PS4
PS5
Probably Xbox series X at some point

scrowe

Distinguished Member
I have a Samsung QE75Q90R TV and the HDMI inputs I use are:

SkyQ
Blu-ray player
Zappiti box
PS4
PS5
Probably Xbox series X at some point

The TV doesn’t support eArc just Arc. But it’s new enough to hopefully pass DD+ via Arc. So 3 devices that need HD audio formats can go to MP-40 and 2 devices that don’t can go straight to TV (Sky and one other) and pass non-HD audio back to MP-40 via Arc.

or as @Rock Danger said, a HDMI switch can be used.

mrapbp

Thanks for the responses!

So it sounds like there are a couple of options. Just got to decide if I’m happy paying that much for a product I need to use a workaround with, might struggle with that a bit.....

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
Yep ARC can be used also, but you can sometimes run into lip-sync issues, however that's why we have lip-sync adjust...

jimperry

Standard Member
The workaround is a 4K 60hz 18gbps switch - you'd take 3 of your devices (especially if they're games consoles) plug them into the switch and then plug the switch into one of the HDMI inputs. The more important one's like TV boxes, media players, put them into the remaining ports.

In theory, that should work - there are more expensive solutions, but here is a pikey examples:

Amazon product

Or you can sacrifice the audio and buy something cheaper - like one of the new Anthem processors. I wouldn't be looking at anything else if reliability is a concern.
I have an MP-40 on order. I'm fine with only 3 HDMI inputs. I use a cable box, Apple TV, and Blu ray player. The USB audio input is important to me too for streaming music, but I may switch to Roon to stream music once I get it. I believe at some point this will support Tidal connect too. I've tried all the lower cost options --- Emotiva RMC-1, JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Monolith HTP-1 and have either returned them or sold them. All had untolerable (to me) firmware issues. There are several key features that attracted me to the MP-40: Room Perfect, Audio quality, reliability. The audio quality is extremely important to me and I like the fact this thing just passes the video unaltered to my display. I wanted to pay less but realized I wasn't happy with anything less.

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
I have an MP-40 on order. I'm fine with only 3 HDMI inputs. I use a cable box, Apple TV, and Blu ray player. The USB audio input is important to me too for streaming music, but I may switch to Roon to stream music once I get it. I believe at some point this will support Tidal connect too. I've tried all the lower cost options --- Emotiva RMC-1, JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Monolith HTP-1 and have either returned them or sold them. All had untolerable (to me) firmware issues. There are several key features that attracted me to the MP-40: Room Perfect, Audio quality, reliability. The audio quality is extremely important to me and I like the fact this thing just passes the video unaltered to my display. I wanted to pay less but realized I wasn't happy with anything less.

It was a very polarized issue in the review. Of course it makes no difference to me being an MP60 user and ironically having 2 inputs being used, or 3 if you count the few times I log into the server a year.

No one unit is perfect, but Lyngdorf are consistently pulling people in from the audio and video world with their products. If the HiFi wombles like it on their 2ch it's a pretty good seal of approval.

Would I like some extra features? sure, a couple.. but not much it does 99% of what I want. I can't think of a company that has HiFi products as good as their AV.. or vice versa.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

BAFTA 2021 awards sees Nomadland as big winner
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung rumoured to be buying OLED TV panels from LG Display
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix signs with Sony for first streaming rights in U.S.
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Pro launches C10 MkII speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom