Lyngdorf MP-40 AV Processor Review & Comments

ashenfie

But at least it has Auro 3-D but no HDR10+ pass-thru
:clap:

Phil1975

Distinguished Member
Another excellent product from Lyngdorf and review.
I can only dream of owning one....! :)

bogart99

Another excellent product from Lyngdorf and review.
I can only dream of owning one....! :)
Yes and that is what 99.99% of people reading the review will do is just dream then move on to something more sensible. I would love to know how much it actually costs to produce one of these.
Though I suppose if people are prepared to pay that sort of money they will keep asking it.

Russ 66

I would love to know how much it actually costs to produce one of these.
Looking at how they skimped on the HDMI connections I would say as little as possible!
The real cost is not the parts and manufacture but R&D, advertising, etc, etc.

motorkiller

unground

Thanks for another great review @Phil Hinton . Presumably the provision of three HDMI inputs was a design choice rather than just being stingy. Are Lyngdorf anticipating that users will house a number of HDMI inputs on their telly and use eARC, or is the target market really dedicated cinema rooms?

DLxP

3* HDMI :rotfl:

DLxP

I guess the provision of three HDMIs at a £8.5k price point really does make it best in class - it's in a class of 1.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
I guess the provision of three HDMIs at a £8.5k price point really does make it best in class - it's in a class of 1.
Obviously, you are paying for a state of the art processor with RoomPerfect EQ and probably the best sounding all in one for Music and Movies combined, along with stunning build quality - that's where your money is going. There are ways of getting around the 3 HDMI input limitation and if you need even more you can opt for the MP-60 which has eight in and two out (one with eARC). The MP-40 is the pared-down version of the MP-60, hence the cut-down connections and lower price point, so you have a choice as they both perform the same, which is what makes them best in class.

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
You can’t buy a better sounding Processor than the Lyngdorf MP60 at £11,995.

The MP40 provides the exact same sound quality at less than half the price of many alternatives so something had to be removed to hit that price point.

Most new install we see use a BD player and Sky or some other tuner so 3 HDMI inputs isn’t an issue.

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
Weight doesn’t equate to build quality ..but at 6.7kg, it’s light. New Years resolution is to hear a Lyngdorf pro in action :thumbsup:

DLxP

Obviously, you are paying for a state of the art processor with RoomPerfect EQ and probably the best sounding all in one for Music and Movies combined, along with stunning build quality - that's where your money is going. There are ways of getting around the 3 HDMI input limitation and if you need even more you can opt for the MP-60 which has eight in and two out (one with eARC). The MP-40 is the pared-down version of the MP-60, hence the cut-down connections and lower price point, so you have a choice as they both perform the same, which is what makes them best in class.
I expect it performs fantastically so I can see why it gets high praise. I've seen the S/N ratio and other measurements of the MP-60, so if this performs as well, then that's brilliant, and yes, more or less SOTA. RP is also very interesting. I like its philosophy of preserving the sound of speakers (although quite how it achieves that, I'm not sure).

That all said, and with the greatest of respect, this explanation has suggested customers who want more HDMIs on their £8.5k product either buy an HDMI splitter or spend £4k more. I posit that's absurd, and it's reasonable to expect more than three HDMIs on an £8.5k processor. Every competitor, at either side of this price point, provides at least twice as many HDMI inputs.

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
That all said, and with the greatest of respect, this explanation has suggested customers who want more HDMIs on their £8.5k product either buy an HDMI splitter or spend £4k more. I posit that's absurd, and it's reasonable to expect more than three HDMIs on an £8.5k processor. Every competitor, at either side of this price point, provides at least twice as many HDMI inputs.
I'm not a salesman for the product, so I am not defending it and I try to be as unbiased and fair as I can be in my review assessments.

However, Lyngdorf is very clear about the product and why it exists as it does. In their words, it is an MP-60 with enough bits removed that doesn't affect the sound quality and performance, but meets the lower price point and offers an alternative for less money. In that respect, they have produced exactly that and it has meant a reduction in HDMI inputs and outputs (as well as fewer channels of decoding and control items).

It is clear this is the case in all their marketing, so anyone looking at this product should have full knowledge that this is how they have achieved the price point without affecting performance. More HDMI inputs would have been nice, but I feel they are not hiding the fact they had to make cuts, and I don't really think it is a major issue given there are workarounds if you are desperate to have more.

Given the choice to either have the MP-60 or a more cost-effective version with some compromises in connectivity, but keeping the same performance, is a good thing and I accept they have to make those decisions. Others will disagree, but nobody is holding a gun to people's heads to buy one and nobody is hiding the fact that there is reduced connectivity as a result of paring down without affecting performance.

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
To bring the MP40 in at this price point certain things had to be omitted.
We are currently installing a full cinema with an MP40.

Krobar

I expect it performs fantastically so I can see why it gets high praise. I've seen the S/N ratio and other measurements of the MP-60, so if this performs as well, then that's brilliant, and yes, more or less SOTA. RP is also very interesting. I like its philosophy of preserving the sound of speakers (although quite how it achieves that, I'm not sure).

Can you share a link to these MP-60 measurements?

drillo

To bring the MP40 in at this price point certain things had to be omitted.
We are currently installing a full cinema with an MP40.
You can buy an entire 7 channel receiver with more HDMI's for £300....ergo this isn't a necessary omission to hit a price point IMHO - its to add to the rationale for a '60

DLxP

Can you share a link to these MP-60 measurements?
Lol - I think I asked you a similar question on a different forum!

1605286265503.png

I was mistaken, they're measurements for the MP-50. The MP-50 performs very well, so one would expect the MP-60 (and 40) to be just as good.

DLxP

Lol - I think I asked you a similar question on a different forum!

View attachment 1401262

I was mistaken, they're measurements for the MP-50. The MP-50 performs very well, so one would expect the MP-60 to be just as good.

The measurements start from this post.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky agrees movie deal with Entertainment One
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett