Lyngdorf discussion

Can you explain the sub adjust feature as I have not used that and wonder how it might help? Thanks.

So, you go to do a new room perfect run - got to setup>speakers and room>adjust sub

It'll play a test tone thru the left speaker and then in a little bit it'll play a tone thru the sub. It'll ask you to turn it up or down (in my case down, many times) then it'll move to the right speaker, rinse and repeat.

Then run RP.

btw I don't doubt you Jules when you say an extra bit helped you, but that would be the exception and not the rule, which is why it exists in the first place.

I honesty thought that it's made me turn the subs down so much how can this be? Surely it'll be anaemic and too thin. So I ran a few test discs and that theory was blown out the window.

However, tonally it feels a lot more real and the DSP is much more noticeable (to me at least) Also the quality gap between bands is a lot more pronounced. It's not like a comfortable KEF or B&W with no RC that will give you and ok sounding everything - you get what's on the track and I do understand why people struggle with that and say 'it's too clinical'

Blame the loudness wars etc...

So, you go to do a new room perfect run - got to setup>speakers and room>adjust sub

It'll play a test tone thru the left speaker and then in a little bit it'll play a tone thru the sub. It'll ask you to turn it up or down (in my case down, many times) then it'll move to the right speaker, rinse and repeat.

Then run RP.

btw I don't doubt you Jules when you say an extra bit helped you, but that would be the exception and not the rule, which is why it exists in the first place.

I honesty thought that it's made me turn the subs down so much how can this be? Surely it'll be anaemic and too thin. So I ran a few test discs and that theory was blown out the window.

However, tonally it feels a lot more real and the DSP is much more noticeable (to me at least) Also the quality gap between bands is a lot more pronounced. It's not like a comfortable KEF or B&W with no RC that will give you and ok sounding everything - you get what's on the track and I do understand why people struggle with that and say 'it's too clinical'

Blame the loudness wars etc...
Great. Thanks. 🤩

I like more real and ‘too clinical’ 👍

Great. Thanks. 🤩

I like more real and ‘too clinical’ 👍

I think one of the problems about Lyngdorf is that they do stuff and don't tell you about it or emphasise it enough in their literature or by doing webinars on best practices and problem solving. Of course that's probably a time and money thing.

You may see this rectified somewhat in the near future.

I think one of the problems about Lyngdorf is that they do stuff and don't tell you about it or emphasise it enough in their literature or by doing webinars on best practices and problem solving. Of course that's probably a time and money thing.

You may see this rectified somewhat in the near future.

I think they will have to rectify it through Webinars as the client base seems to be growing quite rapidly now, probably driven by the new 1120.

I think they will have to rectify it through Webinars as the client base seems to be growing quite rapidly now, probably driven by the new 1120.

Sure, and by the processors too, not just the MP40. I see a lot of brands catering to the more tech savvy people on youtube and for those that are mildly interested and like to keep up.

The typical high end processor user doesn't give a fudge, they just want it to turn on and work - then terrorise their dealer if it doesn't. The webinars should primarily be for dealer support with hobbyists being allowed to follow along.

The typical high end processor user doesn't give a fudge, they just want it to turn on and work - then terrorise their dealer if it doesn't. The webinars should primarily be for dealer support with hobbyists being allowed to follow along.
I wonder why they even bother with a high end processor then:)
In my experience, the typical high-end hifi user has knowledge and skills to tweak and match the hell out of their 2-ch systems, tweaking and matching tubes, pickups, amps, preamps, cables, speakers, moving speakers around in 1cm increments... using their ears mostly during the endless tweaking. Perhaps movie rooms are just more fashionable and they want the best even though they have no clue how it works, a bit PBS?

Last edited:
In my experience, the typical high-end hifi user has knowledge and skills to tweak and match the hell out of their 2-ch systems, tweaking and matching tubes, pickups, amps, preamps, cables, speakers, moving speakers around in 1cm increments... Perhaps movie rooms are just more fashionable and they want the best even though they have no clue how it works, a bit PBS?

Well, they like the sound. I'm not saying there aren't hobbyists to varying degrees - I mean look at the forum. But the real high end stuff like Steinway Lyngdorf end to end systems, you won't see a clatter of users posting about them, but they certainly exist!

HiFi is a little bit different, there's less to deal with but the HiFi forum here is, mostly a graveyard. I'm sure movie rooms are becoming fashionable with covid. But certainly in the USA there's always some sort of den/game/movie room.

In my experience, the typical high-end hifi user has knowledge and skills to tweak and match the hell out of their 2-ch systems, tweaking and matching tubes, pickups, amps, preamps, cables, speakers, moving speakers around in 1cm increments... Perhaps movie rooms are just more fashionable and they want the best even though they have no clue how it works, a bit PBS?

The average millionaire wanting a 250-400k home cinema doesn't want to fudge. He wants something ready and done. Maybe he cares about image and quality a bit but most importantly he wants to impress his friends and showoff the price tag.
This forum and thread is mostly for those who want to fudge.
We don't make the bulk of sales at all.

Just received the mail about the MP-60 HDMI 2.1.
Two things seems disappoint...

8K 50/60Hz, 40 Gbps and 4K 100/120Hz, 18 Gpbs as outlined in the HDMI 2.1 specification.
The 2.1 requires 48 Gpbs, maybe they have a typo, maybe not.

After the upgrade, the MP-60 HDMI connections will be 5 inputs and 2 outputs all featuring 8K video pass-through.

Price not revealed.

Just received the mail about the MP-60 HDMI 2.1.
Two things seems disappoint...

8K 50/60Hz, 40 Gbps and 4K 100/120Hz, 18 Gpbs as outlined in the HDMI 2.1 specification.
The 2.1 requires 48 Gpbs, maybe they have a typo, maybe not.

After the upgrade, the MP-60 HDMI connections will be 5 inputs and 2 outputs all featuring 8K video pass-through.

Price not revealed.

It's a 40Gbps board that does HDR, HDR 10+ HLG and Dolby Vision. It covers everything that 10bit will allow. Every 2.1 board is 40Gbps and most TV sets are this now.

Key features of HDMI 2.1 include:
• 8K 50/60Hz, 40 Gbps and 4K 100/120Hz, 18 Gpbs as outlined in the HDMI 2.1 specification
• Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC)
• Support for Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) modes
• Support for static and dynamic HDR allowing for extended dynamic range and wide color gamut
support
• HDCP 2.3 premium content protection

q44it1HMK-JJAQltUvA4r45UlRAO2uHcXgO3WKZvC9E.jpg

The full 2.1 specifications are 48 Gpbs
They indeed mention on the fact sheet -
The MP-60 2.1 supports 40 Gbps fixed rate link (FRL) and 18 Gbps transition minimized differential signaling (TMDS) video rates.

from HDMI-org website:

HDMI® 2.1 Specification
HDMI® Specification 2.1 is the most recent update of the HDMI® specification and supports a range of higher video resolutions and refresh rates including 8K60 and 4K120, and resolutions up to 10K. Dynamic HDR formats are also supported, and bandwidth capability is increased up to 48Gbps.

To me it sounds a limited board.

The full 2.1 specifications are 48 Gpbs
They indeed mention on the fact sheet -
The MP-60 2.1 supports 40 Gbps fixed rate link (FRL) and 18 Gbps transition minimized differential signaling (TMDS) video rates.

from HDMI-org website:

HDMI® 2.1 Specification
HDMI® Specification 2.1 is the most recent update of the HDMI® specification and supports a range of higher video resolutions and refresh rates including 8K60 and 4K120, and resolutions up to 10K. Dynamic HDR formats are also supported, and bandwidth capability is increased up to 48Gbps.

To me it sounds a limited board.

It's 40Gbps board. Unless you have a 12 bit panel or content then it's not limited. Last I checked there was no 12bit panels. This same circle jerk went around about the LG tv sets. All the Denon's etc are 40Gbps also.

This hasn't hurt the sales or any HDMI 2.1 equipment, that last 8Gbps has been omitted since the LG C9 the CX, GX etc are all 40Gbps. The Xbox series X is 40Gbps, and the PS5 is 32Gbps (for now)

It clearly is not important.

Ah so do I need to as my installer if they used it? 🤔🤔🤔

Well, if they did it then no.

But you've stereo subs and I don't believe it was working then, which is why I've never used it until recently.

Well, if they did it then no.

But you've stereo subs and I don't believe it was working then, which is why I've never used it until recently.
Lol. Sorry to pull you up ... so your last answer was wrong it hadn’t been there since day one for multi subs. That makes sense and now rings a bell.

I am happy now that I do need to have a go at that. Thanks. 😀😀

Lol. Sorry to pull you up ... so your last answer was wrong it hadn’t been there since day one for multi subs. That makes sense and now rings a bell.

I am happy now that I do need to have a go at that. Thanks. 😀😀

Ahem, no it has been there since day 1. It just didn't work on day 1 for multi subs. Was added as a fix a while later but by that time, I was like 'meh' about it.

This is too early for day drinking Jules.

Ahem, no it has been there since day 1. It just didn't work on day 1 for multi subs. Was added as a fix a while later but by that time, I was like 'meh' about it.

This is too early for day drinking Jules.
I suppose it is a Monday. 👍

...Of course, I'm not following the special forum expert advice of upping the heights by 6dB, sub by 5, sides by 4....

Thought I'd read/scanned the whole thread, but missed this one.

Thought I'd read/scanned the whole thread, but missed this one.

Oh yeah, that's what you're supposed to do. Didn't you know that people who make room correction systems are all a bunch of idiots and that <inset denon user here> has all the hot takes on acoustics? You must be living under a rock sir.

Also make sure your Atmos speakers aren't any better than 16X9 car speakers, because that's all you need.

bunch of fudgeing Ruprects.

Ah so do I need to as my installer if they used it? 🤔🤔🤔
When your MP50 was installed, the sub adjust function was only intended for the LFE output. It was not available on the Aux outputs.
This was then added quite a bit later.
It had been it would most certainly have been used sir 🙃

When your MP50 was installed, the sub adjust function was only intended for the LFE output. It was not available on the Aux outputs.
This was then added quite a bit later.
It had been it would most certainly have been used sir 🙃
I do remember now. Was just teasing. 😀😀

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom