Lyngdorf discussion

Thanks. Good to know there is support lurking.
I use Auro 3D for processing in a 7.2.6 speaker configuration. At setup did the requisite sub adjust procedure and all was well. Ran RP and it indicates that I have only a single lfe sub; output shows as 7.1.6. What am I missing?
This is because LFE is always counted as .1 as it’s a mono signal. Are you running stereo subs (Aux 1 and 2) or using LFE out?

Running stereo subs in aux 1 and aux 2. No LFE Connected.
Attached show config and channel gain. As you can see, only lfe showing channel gain page.

Attachments

• 4B98BE96-9577-4B16-A508-49C12E97208C.png
    4B98BE96-9577-4B16-A508-49C12E97208C.png
    243.9 KB · Views: 61
  • F389BACD-EAD4-4DF6-A0B5-734CA756C5F2.png
    F389BACD-EAD4-4DF6-A0B5-734CA756C5F2.png
    192.7 KB · Views: 59
Attached show config and channel gain. As you can see, only lfe showing channel gain page.

It doesn't show AUX 1 and 2 because they are the LFE channel. This is because you have assigned them as subs and are therefore already represented. You're not missing anything .

Is there any way of telling which my unit has? Either physically or through the setup menu somehow?
The 2K board has 4 inputs and the 4K board has 3 inputs, so yours is the 4K board.

What I mean by that is only that the group delay is very straight all the way down, unlike my ported subs in particular... I'm outside my comfort sone here, no doubt about that, so please help :D
difficult to think of an explanation for that, I see that the tannoys are a compound horn so the low end is a back loaded horn which will necessarily have a spike in group delay around the tune of the horn. It would be interesting to a find a hornresp sim of it though to see it in more detail, a quick google shows some DIY versions but no obvious schematics.

AV processor has to synchronise the front L&R with everything else, so you want to add the additional distance to the front L&R there so any delay that it can’t know about once the front L&R signal has left it’s pre-out sockets, is taken into account.

If you’re connecting your sub to the processor then just add the additional distance there to take into account the sub’s DSP delay (If any). If you’re connecting the sub to the 3400, then add the additional distance in the sub set-up there, which will simply sync it up with the front L&R. In the latter case of course you’ll tell your processor there’s no sub, and it will mix the LFE channel into the front L&R.

Obviously have your L&R on bypass or full range in the receiver you want the Lyngdorf to have the full fat signal to do its processing on

jay

This is something I'm ashamed to say I've never really took the time to setup properly. I also run my tdai-2170 with a Marantz avr.
I'm adding a sda-2400 soon so I'll have to try setting up properly this time. Regarding the sub delay, where did you get the 170cm figure from please? I have two BK XLS400 subs but have had no luck googling for this info.
@dazed&confused I see you mention you also use a BK sub, are you aware of what the 'sub delay' should be set to?

Many Thanks

I have mk sound subs and luckily enough I have a very helpful dealer in Rob who supplied all the appropriate delays.

good luck

Jay

This is something I'm ashamed to say I've never really took the time to setup properly. I also run my tdai-2170 with a Marantz avr.
I'm adding a sda-2400 soon so I'll have to try setting up properly this time. Regarding the sub delay, where did you get the 170cm figure from please? I have two BK XLS400 subs but have had no luck googling for this info.
@dazed&confused I see you mention you also use a BK sub, are you aware of what the 'sub delay' should be set to?

Many Thanks

Sorry if I said bk should have been mk

typing quickly on a phone !!!!!

The delay you set in the receiver is the longest measurement either front of speaker or back or sub then add 52cm for the additional processing in the Lyngdorf.

Hi Jay

Thanks again for all of your information and explanation - I've managed to get it clear in my head now!

Can I just ask, where did you find out that the processing in the Lyngdorf 2170 equates to 52cm? I presume this would be the same for the 3400?

David.

He's talking about the delay needed for an MK sub in his system @dazed&confused - it's not the Lyngdorf processing, it's the amp in the sub.

You will have to use your manufacturers recommended delay setting or to be more accurate use REW to find the proper delay for you speakers in your room with your crossover of choice.

Everyone needs to calm down a bit @arisholm as well as myself and others have said it's an extra nudge in performance but it's not critical by any means and requires some knowledge and patience. 99.9% of AV users don't even bother with this kind of thing, so some perspective is required.

He's talking about the delay needed for an MK sub in his system @dazed&confused - it's not the Lyngdorf processing, it's the amp in the sub.

You will have to use your manufacturers recommended delay setting or to be more accurate use REW to find the proper delay for you speakers in your room with your crossover of choice.

Everyone needs to calm down a bit @arisholm as well as myself and others have said it's an extra nudge in performance but it's not critical by any means and requires some knowledge and patience. 99.9% of AV users don't even bother with this kind of thing, so some perspective is required.

To add further nuance: for some, it is required and will make a huge difference. But in those cases, it’s pretty obvious that something is amiss.

agreed - but if you know what it is and for JL seems to be 12ms then no harm in using - in some respects it is hard to know what difference it makes without going down the REW rabbit hole as with the Lyngdorf my understanding is that I would need to do a new RP calibration with it set to 0ms and then somehow compare and yes the whole debate re audio memory comes into play - and if by some reason preferred the delay I could potentially 'roll back' to a previous version. At the moment I'm very happy with the bass in my setup - so I'm ok with this set 12ms delay set in my RP config - george

No, that's not correct Rock Danger. He is most definitely talking about the delay caused by the Lyngdorf processing - he lists 2 separate figures: 52cm for the Lyngdorf processing and 170cm for the MK sub.

Jay's information in post #13076 is a response to my question in post #13067.

Are you saying he's wrong?

Thanks,

David.

It doesn't show AUX 1 and 2 because they are the LFE channel. This is because you have assigned them as subs and are therefore already represented. You're not missing anything .
Got it. Thank you very much.

No, that's not correct Rock Danger. He is most definitely talking about the delay caused by the Lyngdorf processing - he lists 2 separate figures: 52cm for the Lyngdorf processing and 170cm for the MK sub.

Jay's information in post #13076 is a response to my question in post #13067.

Are you saying he's wrong?

Thanks,

David.

I'm trying to work out where you add 52 cm to an entire amp.? Or does he mean 52cm for the left and right speakers maybe? I've never heard that come up before to be honest and you'd still need to use REW for it to be accurate - it's not a one glove fits all, just a rough guide.

I figure if you're going to do it you might as well not roughly guess it.

Hi Jay

Thanks again for all of your information and explanation - I've managed to get it clear in my head now!

Can I just ask, where did you find out that the processing in the Lyngdorf 2170 equates to 52cm? I presume this would be the same for the 3400?

David.

The 52cm with regards to the tdai-2170 is stated in the owners manual mate.
Regards
Anthony

Setup of surround receiver
On the surround receiver, adjust the settings as follows:
1. No subwoofer connected; this must be connected to the TDAI-2170 instead.
2. Front speakers: X-Large, or corresponding reference for full frequency range speakers.
3. Measure and set up the distances/delays to the front speakers.
• Measure the distance to your front left and right speaker, and the subwoofer if you have one
in your setup.
• Take the longest distance measured and add 52 cm / 20.5 in. This adjusts for the delay
caused by the processing of the TDAI-2170.
• Input this number for BOTH the left and right speaker in the surround receiver menu.
4. Connect the surround processor´s front speaker “pre-out” to a stereo analog input on the TDAI-

agreed - but if you know what it is and for JL seems to be 12ms then no harm in using - in some respects it is hard to know what difference it makes without going down the REW rabbit hole as with the Lyngdorf my understanding is that I would need to do a new RP calibration with it set to 0ms and then somehow compare and yes the whole debate re audio memory comes into play - and if by some reason preferred the delay I could potentially 'roll back' to a previous version. At the moment I'm very happy with the bass in my setup - so I'm ok with this set 12ms delay set in my RP config - george

Well, there's no harm in using that figure unless it's wrong and you make things worse. You cannot know what the delay is without also knowing the distance and the crossover point. That's what REW does - it measures the timing reference and then allows you to adjust the distance to the sub until the graph is suitable around the crossover area.

This is all done before RP calibration and eliminates audio memory - 12ms is very audible, but 2-4ms not so much with the average sub delay being around 5ms for most (taken from Tom V at PSA) - there's plenty of timing tests you can do with headphones to demonstrate this.

The 52cm with regards to the tdai-2170 is stated in the owners manual mate.
Regards
Anthony

Thank's Anthony - that's perfect

I'm trying to work out where you add 52 cm to an entire amp.? Or does he mean 52cm for the left and right speakers maybe? I've never heard that come up before to be honest and you'd still need to use REW for it to be accurate - it's not a one glove fits all, just a rough guide.

I figure if you're going to do it you might as well not roughly guess it.
Yes, that's right - 53cm would be added both to the left speaker and the right speaker, because you would want a corresponding delay to be applied to the centre speaker and the surround speakers. See the instructions in Anthony's post #13,144.

Can you tell me please, why do you say 52cm is just a rough guide?

You cannot know what the delay is without also knowing the distance and the crossover point.
Can you explain this a bit more please? Wouldn't the delay that you would add to the other speakers, to compensate for a sub's DSP (or the Lyndorf's) DSP be the same regardless of the distance of the sub and other speakers?

Also how does the crossover point effect things (I'm probably being completely dim, but I'm wondering why this would matter when the spend of sound is independent of frequency)?

Can you explain this a bit more please? Wouldn't the delay that you would add to the other speakers, to compensate for a sub's DSP (or the Lyndorf's) DSP be the same regardless of the distance of the sub and other speakers?

Not any better than I have already - with sub delay to achieve correct timing is dependent on distance and your crossover and a few other things that I'm not particularly great on.

My sub manufacturer says there is no delay and I asked them twice - turns out for me using an 80hz x-over in my room at 12ft to the MLP it's about 4.8ms to get it looking good. Again this throws back to Tom V's post about these things being approx 5ms - this guy makes subs, so it's a reliable source.

Of course, the manufacturer is wrong here but even if they were right, throwing out arbitrary best guesses is not accurate, hence if you are going to do this and again for perspective most people don't, then you need to use REW.

I understand about the TDA now - I'm dipping in and out in the middle of work while skim reading and missing bits here and there.

Hi Jay

David.

In the manual mate probably the same for the 3400 if it’s not in the manual

enjoy

jay

Lyngdorf newbie here so please be gentle! I have got a 3400 on loan and have worked through the RP setup getting great sounding results. As others have mentioned the owner's manual is not great. I am trying to work out how to play (stereo) FLAC files from a USB stick. From a previous post I thought I just needed to insert the USB stick into the front panel, open the vPlayer via the app on my iPhone and the files would be listed there. They are not.

What am I doing wrong?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom