Lyngdorf discussion

The Lyngdorf app doesn’t have great user experience. The streamer control is too basic. ( being polite )

I would have loved to be in the design meeting when it was suggested that every time a user returned to the App it forgot where they were and took them back to the root of their music library. Even if the phone had locked itself through the default settings on say an iPhone.

Then another suggestion of ensuring there was no way of queuing up what the user would want to listen to next.

Lots of nodding heads and it was all agreed.

Haha., yes it would seem like that. I totally agree that it is not worthwhile, - but it is there!

The player itself has not gotten so much attention, as you as a lyngdorf costumer are assumed to know better already, and would prefer something like ROON to playback, find, discover and organise your library as well as your favorite HIFI streaming service.

No matter what lyngdorf would do in order to enhance the DNLA browsing experience, it will never get anywhere near that. The costumers are not "average joe", so the company are not spending time and money on something that virtually none of the users will use for real. Thats why you cant make playlists and things like that too. It is simply a "convinience player" when everything else fails.

Thats why we ROON or something else similar (when not playing hard, real media, that is... naturally :rotfl: :rolleyes:

Where i disagree is on the APP user experience, when NOT using it as a DNLA browser.. The lyngdorf app is great, smooth, convinient way to the most important features you need. And it does that extremely well and intuitive on my view.

Haha., yes it would seem like that. I totally agree that it is not worthwhile, - but it is there!

The player itself has not gotten so much attention, as you as a lyngdorf costumer are assumed to know better already, and would prefer something like ROON to playback, find, discover and organise your library as well as your favorite HIFI streaming service.

No matter what lyngdorf would do in order to enhance the DNLA browsing experience, it will never get anywhere near that. The costumers are not "average joe", so the company are not spending time and money on something that virtually none of the users will use for real. Thats why you cant make playlists and things like that too. It is simply a "convinience player" when everything else fails.

Thats why we ROON or something else similar (when not playing hard, real media, that is... naturally :rotfl: :rolleyes:

Where i disagree is on the APP user experience, when NOT using it as a DNLA browser.. The lyngdorf app is great, smooth, convinient way to the most important features you need. And it does that extremely well and intuitive on my view.
I do agree with the Lyngdorf approach, despite my comment. It makes total sense to outsource all of the hard work required to build and maintain a streaming solution. It means any new services and upgrades are taken care of by another party and Lyngdorf do not have to invest and manage the software updates. Had I been in the meeting I would have voted to outsource to Roon as the best solution for Lyngdorf customers.

Also the sound quality of the internal streamer was like an Easter Egg surprise to me and saved me £5-£6K on a streamer when moving to the MP-50. So I am very glad it has it and makes for a nice surprise over other brands that only have AirPlay or PlayFi, which both sound very poor.

Finally, yes agree the App is stable and doesn't crash for me, and gives me the info I need, what else could I wish for? :rolleyes::)

Sorry to change tac - is 2k the rrp for the 1120 ? I have noticed one uk website that is listing it at 2195 ?

Looking forward to the first impressions once the units arrive....

Cheers

Matt
£2,195.00 is the correct retail price for the TDA 1120.
Rich@SeriouslyCinema

MP50/60 "Legacy" decoding mode

There was somebody asking the intelligent question " What the hell is Legacy mode?" I dont know if that got answered, but here it is:

Legacy mode is simply a mode that decodes object based formats in the vanilla container format, stripping the object info for the height channels.

So if you want to hear a ATMOS (TrueHD) or DTS:X track as it would sound without the height channels, simply use the legacy post processing option, and the processor will act as it is legacy dolby or DTS.

This only has a effect if you have a system with configured height channels, naturally :)

MP50/60 "Legacy" decoding mode

There was somebody asking the intelligent question " What the hell is Legacy mode?" I dont know if that got answered, but here it is:

Legacy mode is simply a mode that decodes object based formats in the vanilla container format, stripping the object info for the height channels.

So if you want to hear a ATMOS (TrueHD) or DTS:X track as it would sound without the height channels, simply use the legacy post processing option, and the processor will act as it is legacy dolby or DTS.

This only has a effect if you have a system with configured height channels, naturally :)

It may have been me actually as there is no literature on the difference between that and do not change.

Also the upmixer could do with following it's parent codec - in other words if you have DD5.1 it should be go to Dolby Upmixer and DTS to Neural:X - especially since do not change covers.. well, not changing it.

The app needs to stay awake on mobile devices - no one wants to go into the devices section just to get the app going if your phone has gone into screensaver mode - and keep alive is not a monumental task.

The app also reports wrong upmixer used if changed elsewhere, front panel can report different things too - myself and @Seriously Ltd have discovered this.

Maybe I should get on this beta testing lark?

Also noted that the new nvidia shield TV* with it's latest hotfixes applied with playback of DTS 5.1 can cause HDMI cracking noises when pausing or stopping playback. This did not happen on the Vero4K so cannot be confirmed until the latest public release is launched - altho this behaviour didn't happen with a Denon user who kindly used the same player and source material.

*currently the most popular media player out there.

When listening to YouTube music, or streamed music I normally would use NONE (no post processing) but last night I used Auro 2D OMG I thought it sounded great.

After 5 minutes in this mode i went back to 2 channel and the sound went further back into the room and sounded just a bit flatter in general.

I'm sure someone spoke here about this mode but can't remember who?

Now I did try this Auro 2D in the past and didn't like it at all BUT I did have a different speaker brand for the surrounds, now they are all the same brand with exactly the same voicing maybe something to do with that?

Of course they are sir 👍 it's quite freaky actually, I've never turned my my head so much in films wish I had these sooner.

<del>

Last edited:
Did you try to post this? 🙃
Not exactly, I deleted a really bad joke, but I'll keep the spot in case I come up with a good one;-)
But since you ask, now I am waiting eagerly for my Audio Note TT3 record player with a tube Riaa to arrive. THD must be at least 5%?? :) But somehow it sounds pretty good! So my buddy @stjernholm suggested that I get an RME or Tascam A/D box so that I can preserve all the lovely THD, the lack of channel separation, the artistic amount of wow, flutter and rumble forever and store it completely transparently in high-rez digital format and stream it through the MP-50 and all my alternative room correction filters :) We'll see :laugh:

Last edited:
My MP-60 showed a new software update this morning, to 3.7.0. While there are no release notes, this seems to be the (long-awaited) update to the internal player to include Roon Raat support! It shows as uncertified if you add it to Roon, but in my (brief) experiments it works great.

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

How long have I waited for this!!!! joyus of joys...

The updated mobile app is also in beta and I think it's not going to time out on screen lock.

So... there's that too... I mean, it's not like Roon cool or anything..

The updated mobile app is also in beta and I think it's not going to time out on screen lock.

So... there's that too... I mean, it's not like Roon cool or anything..
That will make a bigger difference to my enjoyment than Roon. :thumbsup::smashin::):cool:

That will make a bigger difference to my enjoyment than Roon. :thumbsup::smashin::):cool:

The app pisses me off with that timeout nonsense... I'm also working with Nvidia on a wee DTS bug, but it might be a Lyngdorf one, time will tell hopefully.

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

How long have I waited for this!!!! joyus of joys...
The Rock will be totally Marooned I am sure, just wait and see ;-)
And how nice that I can upgrade to 3.7.0 from the web, otherwise there would be sooo many stairs up to the movie room! Ops, done, gotta Ruun upstairs now! :cool:

Last edited:
Wow Roon sounds good, so much better than HDMI from my Oppo, not kidding :)

I’ve just noticed LA‘s MXA-8400 popping up on a local pricelist over here (Belgium) for 7000 euro incl. vat. I was expecting worse. Delivery is planned for this summer.
Tdai 1120 seems to be 2000 euro, vat incl. Nice price.

OK friends, so now that the MP-50 supports Roon I can FINALLY A/B different sources and even different RC-systems/filters/settings very quickly with the same speakers and amps. Because Roon has this "zone grouping" function. This is very interesting. Got to bring some buddies over to help me blind-testing a few DACs I have available vs MP-50, compare RP with Audiolense, HAF, ARC. Now possible with a single click on my remote! Geek heaven :)

Last edited:
The app pisses me off with that timeout nonsense... I'm also working with Nvidia on a wee DTS bug, but it might be a Lyngdorf one, time will tell hopefully.
What's the DTS bug rock?

What's the DTS bug rock?

DTS 5.1 content via the Nvidia Shield when paused or stopped falls back to PCM (which is normal) however it doesn't mute it properly and out of my left speaker it goes pop.. POP!

This doesn't happen when you are on PCM only via the Shield or at all with the Vero4k+ it could be solely down to the shield but it might not and one of them will have to patch it.

Lyngdorf say they can't recreate it, but likely because they're on earlier Shield firmware - this is a common and complex problem with HDMI and affects Tv.s laptops, soundbars, etc.. It's pretty easy to miss as well - how may of your movies are native DTS 5.1?

Wow Roon sounds good, so much better than HDMI from my Oppo, not kidding :)

Watch out, the objectivists will nag you! Same '0's and '1's... 😉

Watch out, the objectivists will nag you! Same '0's and '1's... 😉
In case you didn't catch this by now, I am in the category of schizophrenic subjoctivist, covered with a secret formula of science and FUD to protect myself ;-)

But seriously, jitter is a fairly well-known issue so no big surprise to me that an internal streamer in the MP-50 sounds better than microRendu (USB)->Oppo (HDMI)->MP-50...
but I doubt Roon sounds any better than Audirvana through the same streamer in default settings. That would be 0 and 1 IMO...

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom