Lyngdorf discussion

you could always get one of these if you want to use SPdif.
Thx for the input. I’m thinking adding the Metrum Ambre streamer with AES output instead of my music server’s usb output.

For the last 6 months I have been using the USB input on my LA3400 where-as the 6-7 years before I used AES or SPDIF. I cannot really describe it very well and my memory might not be that accurate but I found the SPDIF and AES inputs considerable better sounding than USB. Although usb sounds and good the sound can be a bit edgy and hard sounding and not as smooth as before with spdif and AES. The lan input on the LA 3400 is not better than usb I've tried that as well. I'm thinking of adding a separate streamer with AES output to avoid USB. I know there are various ways to improve usb with reclockers and other power supplies and even a different clock etc. But that's all adding various boxes just to try to improve the usb output where-as I think others like AES are better suited for audio. It's not that usb sounds bad on the LA combined with my Innuos streamer but I recall it sounding better before with my Nad M50 with AES output (I cannot compare this now anymore since I sold the NAD).
I use Ethernet for my MP-50 for music and that works really well.

I use Chord Company Ethernet and that had a big impact on the quality and timing of the music. I also have a audiophile switch which improved everything including Netflix picture quality.

I use Chord Company Ethernet and that had a big impact on the quality and timing of the music. I also have a audiophile switch which improved everything including Netflix picture quality.
Ok, but the MP50 has no decent media player built-in so that’s not really an option. The builtin MP50 player is terrible from a usability point of view. The LA3400 at least has Roon.

Ok, but the MP50 has no decent media player built-in so that’s not really an option. The builtin MP50 player is terrible from a usability point of view. The LA3400 at least has Roon.

The MP-50 has the exact same media player as the 3400, they're just waiting on Roon certification.

The MP-50 has the exact same media player as the 3400, they're just waiting on Roon certification.
No that does not seem to be the case. The MP50 is not a Roon endpoint and I believe LA said so as well and they’ll not provide a firmware update to make the MP50 Roon Ready.

No that does not seem to be the case. The MP50 is not a Roon endpoint and I believe LA said so as well and they’ll not provide a firmware update to make the MP50 Roon Ready.

Nah, I'm gonna go with you being wrong :D

"Hi

We are just waiting for Roon’s certification – as the player is the same as the certified TDAI-3400, it is only a matter of time.

Best regards
Flemming Smith
Lyngdorf Audio"

Nah, I'm gonna go with you being wrong :D

"Hi

We are just waiting for Roon’s certification – as the player is the same as the certified TDAI-3400, it is only a matter of time.

Best regards
Flemming Smith
Lyngdorf Audio"
Not sure if you remember but a while back, due to a configuration management mistake, the MP-50 suddenly had Roon support (I think it was version 3.0.7). It was a bit buggy but sounded great when it worked. But then they issued a "fix" that took it away, I suppose since it was not certified yet. So it will come, no worries ;-)

Thx for the input. I’m thinking adding the Metrum Ambre streamer with AES output instead of my music server’s usb output.

I'm confused by you guys using this Metrum Ambre. If you use the digital out into your Lyngdorf then you've paid £1000 for the high quality dac in the MA and then bypassed it.
Doesn't it make more sense to buy some kind of streaming transport?

I'm confused by you guys using this Metrum Ambre. If you use the digital out into your Lyngdorf then you've paid £1000 for the high quality dac in the MA and then bypassed it.
No, the Metrum Ambre IS just a transport and it has no dac inside just digital out.

I think that is exactly what the MA is - a Roon end point with AES, Coax, AES, Optical and I2S outputs, so a Roon "streaming transport".
Whether such a streamer is needed given that the 3400 is already Roon Ready and the MP-50 soon will be, is another question. Personally I hope I can sell my microRendu streamer as soon as the MP-50 supports Roon, but it will be interesting to A/B the two. I noticed that dCS recently re-implemented their Roon/RaaT support so I guess there must be some room for improvements in the implementation details even if Roon supplies a SDK...
More info for geeks: Roon Knowledge Base - RAAT

and

What the ASA had to say about Chord Ethernet cables
The Chord Company Ltd

No, the Metrum Ambre IS just a transport and it has no dac inside just digital out.

Metrum Ambre is Roon only. But Roon is not the only Holy Audio Grail..... What I miss is the LMS/Squeezelite solution. Not only in the Ambre, but also in the TDAI 3400/MP50. Is is small, simple, in every NAS available and sounds really good.

and

What the ASA had to say about Chord Ethernet cables
The Chord Company Ltd
I didn’t buy on their marketing material. As with all my music purchases I buy with my hears. That includes the music and the hardware.

It’s all a personal thing, like car ownership, where we choose to buy our houses ...

I didn’t buy on their marketing material. As with all my music purchases I buy with my hears. That includes the music and the hardware.

It’s all a personal thing, like car ownership, where we choose to buy our houses ...
So what you are saying is that a Chord Ethernet cable is intelligent enough to unpack TCP/IP packets, find the exact bit to change to improve the sound, recalculate the check bits and then repack the packet in real time - wow seriously intelligent copper or is it magic?

So what you are saying is that a Chord Ethernet cable is intelligent enough to unpack TCP/IP packets, find the exact bit to change to improve the sound, recalculate the check bits and then repack the packet in real time - wow seriously intelligent copper or is it magic?
No I am saying I like Disclosure but not Michael Jackson!

Just noticed your signature.

“Minds are like parachutes - they function better when they are open.”

That doesn’t align with your comments.

Just noticed your signature.

“Minds are like parachutes - they function better when they are open.”

That doesn’t align with your comments.
I think it does - it would need a seriously closed mind to believe a piece of copper has that much intelligence.

If you subscribe to the ethernet thing then you have to by default do the same with HDMI cables - don't see a lot of that happening here tho.

It all goes back again to people saying Pc's are noisy.. they're not anymore. Some routers are horrendous and like cable/sat boxes can dump shit all over your connected system, however hardware does 99.999% of the heavy lifting to fix things, not the cables when they're half decently made.

The open mind argument is kinda like saying 'well it was ghosts and if you don't believe in ghosts then your frequency response will suffer'

If you subscribe to the ethernet thing then you have to by default do the same with HDMI cables - don't see a lot of that happening here tho.

It all goes back again to people saying Pc's are noisy.. they're not anymore. Some routers are horrendous and like cable/sat boxes can dump sh*t all over your connected system, however hardware does 99.999% of the heavy lifting to fix things, not the cables when they're half decently made.

The open mind argument is kinda like saying 'well it was ghosts and if you don't believe in ghosts then your frequency response will suffer'
OMG ... I need to move to a haunted house now?

:rotfl::facepalm:

OMG ... I need to move to a haunted house now?

:rotfl::facepalm:

Or move in with Russ Andrews.... christ, imagine being stuck beside him on a long haul flight.

I

I might try and report somebody on this thread to ASA for his unsubstantiated and ludicrous claims:rotfl:
Thats a bit harsh on Orange55

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom