Lyngdorf discussion

@Rock Danger I think it’s best Left to NAV and Rich as I don’t know where the mic is and I can navigate my way round the issue for now.

I am not so confident with these things Hence why @Seriously Ltd built the room and Jacobs AV did the control 4 and rack etc

I would just like to think it’s more than box shifting with this level of product.

Last edited by a moderator:
@shaunc50 someone here posted they had success by simply performing a backup then reset to factory default and then restore the backup. I forget what it actually fixed, pops when changing sources maybe?
While this procedure is not ideal and of course can reintroduce the original issues but it only takes a few minutes and everything should come back as originally configured.

Otherwise, I have had great experiences with Lyngdorf support to be honest...Good luck!

@Rock Danger I think it’s best Left to NAV and Rich as I don’t know where the mic is and I can navigate my way round the issue for now.

I am not so confident with these things Hence why @Seriously Ltd built the room and Jacobs AV did the control 4 and rack etc

I would just like to think it’s more than box shifting with this level of product.

No worries. Maybe your fault is just a reset issue. It is a massive firmware update as it remaps inputs adds DTS:X Pro and Imax enhanced and the addition of extra LFE subwoofers. That's practically a full core re-write - yes, I know that doesn't help you, but it would be my best guess having been involved in tech for decades now.

'box shifting' is a bit ambiguous. I can't think of why any small business would sell something if it continually came up faulty, it's false economy. Box shifting usually refers to large chain stores knocking out high volumes of washing machines and common items.

If you have a thing and the thing goes faulty, for whatever reason - then the law has put safeguards for you in place, namely warranty. All you need to be worried about is your warranty agreement being fulfilled, which is agreed between you and the merchant on sale of goods.

Everything else is just annoying...

Appears to be. Only have feedback from one user so far as the Pro firmware only released yesterday for Storm.

Edit: Release notes for Storm make it very clear. They are doing 24 channel decode of objects so DSP based solutions can definitely exceed 14 native channel decode.

I just looked on the StormAudio release note and they mentioned:

DTS:X ProTM 24 channel decoder is now supported.

Where did you find this is native and not with Upmixer?

How do you calibrate RP?

The RP guide has a number of tips.
One of them is "for room position do them in and around ear height".
Do you calibrate up to 95% around ear height and beyond that add height and low measurement, as well as closer to the walls?

I always stopped at 98% at most, has anyone tested 100% and indeed there is an advantage?

Yes to the first part.
Re whether to go to 100%, why not try it and see if it is better with your speakers in your room as you can.

How do you calibrate RP?

The RP guide has a number of tips.
One of them is "for room position do them in and around ear height".
Do you calibrate up to 95% around ear height and beyond that add height and low measurement, as well as closer to the walls?

I always stopped at 98% at most, has anyone tested 100% and indeed there is an advantage?
For me going to 100% made a noticeable difference. Bass was much better controlled. It took me the same amount of measurements to go from 98% to 100% as it did to go from zero to 98%.

For me going to 100% made a noticeable difference. Bass was much better controlled. It took me the same amount of measurements to go from 98% to 100% as it did to go from zero to 98%.

In order to get from 98% to 100%, do you measure only at extremes points or throughout the room?

Do you also measure around ear height up to 95%

This stuff is in the manual.

Keep taking measurements until RoomKnowledge reaches minimum 90%. These are the rules of thumb when measuring the room:

• the microphone should be in random and varying positions, heights, and orientations. Point it up/down/sideways, the more random positions the better*
• the microphone should not be closer than 0.5m/1.5ft from the floor, ceiling, and walls.
• the microphone should be at least 1m/3ft from the front of the loudspeakers.
• there should be at least 50cm/1.5ft between each measurement.
• do not take symmetrical measurements in the room.

*There is no concrete evidence to suggest that 100% is any better than high 90's. I've had them 97, 98, 99. Even Lyngdorf don't endorse it otherwise they'd say to keep on going to 100%.

Yep that is what I do - measurements at different heights, mic orientations, etc. That’s why a good mic stand for RP is essential. With Dirac I could get away with using my Manfreddo Camera Tripod - but not with RP. I usually pause at 98% and then a day later try and get to 100% - certainly gives my ears a rest- george

@Seriously Ltd am I best waiting till you come over with NAV to test this please as it would save sending the unit back, if it works we can then restore the room perfect.

I could have done this for you for free on a Sunday. If your unit dies at the hands of a firmware update that's a warranty conversation. Dealer having it couriered back to Denmark and you having it refitted. Or you could make the argument to the company to offset the re-installation charges (if any)

If your boiler died, your plumber would charge you to put the new one in.

As a former CI if you were calling me out to troubleshoot a system it wouldn't be cheap. If you don't want any forum help, you should probably be doing these coms over email, so you have a conversation chain.

@Mono Because then people who have seen the past messages can see the issue and what they need to do to resolve it, also I find that talking open about issues and seeing the solution is the best way forward for anyone - think Trust pilot.

@Rock Danger I am more on the feeling that Rich can come up and see if the reset works and then reset up the calibration, I involved the forum as I wonder if others had the issue as rich was saying it could be a HDMI issue but it clearly was not and I did not want to be forced down the HDMI switcher route.

Also I was surprised that they could not offer a Demo unit if they rarely break down and only need 1 / 2 to tied customers over - after all this is in warranty and postal delays etc.

I do not have an issue with paying the plumber to repair the boiler but would assume with an elevated service basic items to look after the customer were given (although I do not want anything for FREE just what's fair).

Last edited:
@Seriously Ltd am I best waiting till you come over with NAV to test this please as it would save sending the unit back, if it works we can then restore the room perfect.
Hi Shaun,

As per my email to you over the weekend, we want to arrange a date for us, Jacobs AV and Quiet interiors to return to site.

I have not had a reply to that email and we do not discuss client arrangements on an open forum as it is not appropriate.
Regards
Rich@SeriouslyCinema

I just looked on the StormAudio release note and they mentioned:

DTS:X ProTM 24 channel decoder is now supported.

Where did you find this is native and not with Upmixer?

Decoding and upmixing are two different things.

I could have done this for you for free on a Sunday. If your unit dies at the hands of a firmware update that's a warranty conversation. Dealer having it couriered back to Denmark and you having it refitted. Or you could make the argument to the company to offset the re-installation charges (if any)

If your boiler died, your plumber would charge you to put the new one in.

As a former CI if you were calling me out to troubleshoot a system it wouldn't be cheap. If you don't want any forum help, you should probably be doing these coms over email, so you have a conversation chain.
You were a confidential informant? For the Met? For Interpol?

*There is no concrete evidence to suggest that 100% is any better than high 90's. I've had them 97, 98, 99. Even Lyngdorf don't endorse it otherwise they'd say to keep on going to 100%.

I added another 6 readings to my already 100% calibration on the 1120 and it actually produced some definite, subtle, but perceptible improvements to both vocals and general clarity so it seems to me that RP does actually process readings made after the magical 100% - and make suitable amendments to the DSP profile if it hears something different?

I added another 6 readings to my already 100% calibration on the 1120 and it actually produced some definite, subtle, but perceptible improvements to both vocals and general clarity so it seems to me that RP does actually process readings made after the magical 100% - and make suitable amendments to the DSP profile if it hears something different?
Great feedback. I am going to have to try this now also. :cool:

This is unfortunately nothing more than a placebo effect. The filters are no longer adjusted or augmented past 100%, the difference between mid 90's and 100% isn't going to be audible and if it was you'd be listening in a very good room, from the perspective of someone mixing a a record or movie over time.

Your source material is widely different and inconsistent, it is the same for most of us. You also have to wrestle with the fact that you do not hear the same thing the same way twice. Your perception of audio fidelity will change without you knowing it, for a bunch of different biological reasons.

Studio engineers and musicians especially are repeating the same sound and tone over and over again, that's something that is crafted. It's also the reason why that engineers will not look at anything until they've tracked the drum recordings consistently, because if not then they can't be manipulated in post without being all over the place.

You can get slightly better room perfect runs, even before you start fiddling with speaker locations and crossovers / distances, but again it's not massively better. That's the only time I've noticed it ever being subtly and subjectively 'better'

Subjectively speaking, if you think it's better then take another 10,20,50 more readings - but it's completely in your head. I've got up and walked away from tuning instruments, recording and mixing because my brain would simply not work and then be fine as little as 20 mins later.

This is unfortunately nothing more than a placebo effect. The filters are no longer adjusted or augmented past 100%, the difference between mid 90's and 100% isn't going to be audible and if it was you'd be listening in a very good room, from the perspective of someone mixing a a record or movie over time.

It does seem odd that the Lyngdorf OS enables extra readings then even though it is at 100% - you would think that if the new readings are just thrown away they would disable that menu function?

I have taken 2 complete calibrations in the past and not altered any settings, measurements or MLP and I have tried to repeat the random locations as near as possible on both runs - they came out with totally different sound signatures so maybe it is not as "perfect" as you might like to believe.

I've got up and walked away from tuning instruments, recording and mixing because my brain would simply not work and then be fine as little as 20 mins later.

That is why I think I said in my original post I tried again the next day just to be sure my ears were not playing tricks.

It does seem odd that the Lyngdorf OS enables extra readings then even though it is at 100% - you would think that if the new readings are just thrown away they would disable that menu function?

Yes, a normal company might do that. Lyngdorf will come at it from more of an engineering company perspective and think 'why would anyone add to 100%?' The thought that you can just keep going and it will get better is a real stretch. For example why can it only be positive changes? why let you stop the process at 90%? At what point above a theoretical 100% is enough, surely the same rules can be applied to anything above 90%?

I have taken 2 complete calibrations in the past and not altered any settings, measurements or MLP and I have tried to repeat the random locations as near as possible on both runs - they came out with totally different sound signatures so maybe it is not as "perfect" as you might like to believe.

I don't believe it's perfect and have said long before anyone that their can be slightly different calibrations with nothing changed, except the mic position. I've measured individual speakers after runs with REW and I'm satisfied that the readings are consistent at least from what REW can tell you. It is more likely in your head than anything else and no one is exempt from this to varying degrees.

Any real change worth talking about are those made with better / different speaker locations and crossovers, or if something is moved/removed in the room and finally using the voicing tool for post eq. The rest is just very flimsy subjective theory.

It does seem odd that the Lyngdorf OS enables extra readings ..
Thank you for sharing your experience. I think you can look at opinion of Rock Danger with grain of salt as he is from “pro audio word”.and never believe his ears, only measurements.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I think you can look at opinion of Rock Danger with grain of salt as he is from “pro audio word”.and never believe his ears, only measurements.

Your ignorance is showing. I've made the case for how musical instruments were created and how theatres / concert halls were constructed 100's of years ago relying not on acoustic measurements and almost solely on the the human ear. You can go back further in time for the foundations of acoustics and why the design of many instruments remain largely the same.

Measurements are a diagnostic tool, the data from those measurements are then correlated with decades of research into what is pleasing to the human ear (I have brought this up many times in the past) without this correlation it cannot be interpreted properly, it's not a chicken / egg argument.

What is being suggested is not endorsed by the company that created it. It's a subjective and flimsy claim.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom