Lyngdorf discussion

^Very helpful to get your real world perspective George!

Thanks for taking the time to post... @ggwoodland

But I do like the fact that once you get to 100% knowledge that is as good as it gets. So no worries re did I get my mic positions correct, did I tune my Dirac curves correctly?

Not sure if it was intentional but I believe the question mark is warranted.

I suppose it's possible that totally different sets of mic positions/orientations could result in the same set of RP filters, but I doubt it it.

I suspect 100% room knowledge means that all of the room modes below the Schroeder freq have been identified.

Users on the McIintosh MX160 thread at the AVS forum are saying that there's a significant increase in sound quality with f/w 3.9.0.

Anyone here experience that and know why that would be, as the changelog doesn't seem to include anything related to SQ .

I can't try it myself yet as my system is out of commission due to remodeling activities.

Last edited:
It's easy to imagine differences in audio, especially when you have no possibility to A/B…

All,

Been a while, peeps. Gave up reading a while back during the rather childish and tiresome mud slinging period between a member and everyone else.

Anyway, I have a question: I’m looking at upgrading my MH-2s to Dali Rubicon LCRs. I have a TDA3400 so was wondering if anyone had any experience with these speakers? I plan to continue to use the BW-2s for the bass end but I just don’t think the MH-2s are giving me all the amp can offer.

Cheers

I've been thinking about the same for the last 2 years. I heard a pair of rubicon towers in a dealer nearby with a decent amplifier and source and liked the sound. I remember one of the dealers here recommending the LCRs.

All,

Been a while, peeps. Gave up reading a while back during the rather childish and tiresome mud slinging period between a member and everyone else.

Anyway, I have a question: I’m looking at upgrading my MH-2s to Dali Rubicon LCRs. I have a TDA3400 so was wondering if anyone had any experience with these speakers? I plan to continue to use the BW-2s for the bass end but I just don’t think the MH-2s are giving me all the amp can offer.

Cheers

Not sure if it was intentional but I believe the question mark is warranted.

I suppose it's possible that totally different sets of mic positions/orientations could result in the same set of RP filters, but I doubt it it.

I suspect 100% room knowledge means that all of the room modes below the Schroeder freq have been identified.
Noah - I'm sure you are correct that the filters to get to RP 100% are different per combination of mic position/speaker layout/focus position. But what I was trying to say was with Audyssey and Dirac you always felt the next calibration/Dirac curve adjustment would be the one. With RP saying 100% it is hard to think what to do to improve. I suppose you could do some REW/FuzzMeasure measurements to see what RP has done just to satisfy a tech curiosity - I must admit no inclination at present to do that. But even with that what would you change, with random mic positions can't really change that. Your only choice is back to basics and change MLP, speaker layout, etc - George

Hello
Does anyone know what is likely to be the price of the MXA-8400?
Will it have the RJ45 port compatible AES67 input?

Hello

£6,995.00 inc VAT.

No.

Last edited:
Noah - I'm sure you are correct that the filters to get to RP 100% are different per combination of mic position/speaker layout/focus position...With RP saying 100% it is hard to think what to do to improve...But even with that what would you change, with random mic positions can't really change that.

George,

If the filters are different, the sound can be different; as an example there was earlier discussion here on how bass can be altered by how close the mic is placed to walls.

George,

If the filters are different, the sound can be different; as an example there was earlier discussion here on how bass can be altered by how close the mic is placed to walls.

Link?

Hello

For those in Euro-land 7000€ incl. vat.

Think I'll get one.

I have a Lyngdorf MP-50, I'm playing around between using MP-50 directly (through LAN) as a Roon Endpoint, or through HQPlayer to a second PC, and USB output to MP-50.

Multiple listening sessions seem to indicate to me that, with HQPLayer, up/down sampling to 96KHz, actually sounds more relaxed vs. 192KHz that sound more stressed. (My Roon Core and HQPLayer reside on the same machine with Intel i9-9900k and 16GB or memory).

It seems that the mp-50's DAC chip is 192KHz, so the result is a bit curious to me.

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions? Thanks a bunch!

I have a Lyngdorf MP-50, I'm playing around between using MP-50 directly (through LAN) as a Roon Endpoint, or through HQPlayer to a second PC, and USB output to MP-50.

Multiple listening sessions seem to indicate to me that, with HQPLayer, up/down sampling to 96KHz, actually sounds more relaxed vs. 192KHz that sound more stressed. (My Roon Core and HQPLayer reside on the same machine with Intel i9-9900k and 16GB or memory).

It seems that the mp-50's DAC chip is 192KHz, so the result is a bit curious to me.

Not necessarily that curious since the MP-50 uses an ASRC to up/down sample everything to 96kHz before further DSP (including Room Perfect). If an external up/downsampler does a better job including better filters etc it is at least theoretically possible that it will result in an improvement, in particular for 44.1kHz and 88.2kHz source material.. So I tried this too, with just using the Roon upsampler but I could not really notice a substantial difference, if any. But maybe I don't have sufficiently golden ears, or HQPlayer does it even better than Roon ;-)

Give me strength....

It's all about the notes you don't hear Erik. And also the dark transients.. and the holographic micro wibble.

If an external up/downsampler does a better job including better filters etc it is at least theoretically possible that it will result in an improvement, in particular for 44.1kHz and 88.2kHz source material.

What you will lose, however, is the ICC feature – that only works as long as the source material is untouched going into the Lyngdorf, according to Flemming. If the MP's have ICC, that is.

Here's what he wrote:

"ICC works as long as the signal is still original !

if your player has passed the signal through a sample rate converter, the [signal] is already distorted."

Give me strength....

It's all about the notes you don't hear Erik. And also the dark transients.. and the holographic micro wibble.
.... and hammering away with Judas Priest on my stereo for the past 35 years probably did not help... but in theory... ;-)

.... and hammering away with Judas Priest on my stereo for the past 35 years probably did not help... but in theory... ;-)

Did you know that In Viking land per 1 million people, they buy the most metal albums. Sweeden, Norway etc..

You guys with your metal and weird pickled fish goods....

What you will lose, however, is the ICC feature – that only works as long as the source material is untouched going into the Lyngdorf, according to Flemming. If the MP's have ICC, that is.

Here's what he wrote:

"ICC works as long as the signal is still original !

if your player has passed the signal through a sample rate converter, the [signal] is already distorted."
Ooh that's interesting. I'd forgotten that and I'm having Roon convert everything to 96Khz to match the 2170 internal processing.

I wonder which is the best way to go... I'll experiment, but interested in others' views.

I adhere to to the KISS principle and what you have done does sound a little complex to me, to use Roon with 2 PCs and HQPlayer. I am fine with just my iMac and Roon - sounds pretty good to me - George

Ooh that's interesting. I'd forgotten that and I'm having Roon convert everything to 96Khz to match the 2170 internal processing.

I wonder which is the best way to go... I'll experiment, but interested in others' views.
My (admittedly limited) understanding of ICC specifically is that is applying a small negative gain to the samples so that "inter-sample overs" does not hit above 0 dBFS, which it may on quite a few "loudness war" style mixes. You can achieve more or less the same thing in Roon DSP by adjusting the headroom in the DSP-settings (apply say -3dB gain) and turn on the clipping indicator. This gain adjustment is performed before upsampling. Perhaps ICC does this in a more elaborate or dynamic way but a gain reduction of 3dB will often be enough to prevent digital clipping due to inter-sample overs. In a similar way, Benchmark DAC "allows +3.5dB headroom above 0dbFS" to prevent digital clipping due to inter sample overs.

I also let Roon convert everything to 96 kHz and added 3 dB of headroom, but I turned it off as I felt it added an extra step where one could have been avoided. I can't say that I've noticed the slightest difference, except perhaps for my old iMac core running a little bit cooler.

You can achieve more or less the same thing in Roon DSP by adjusting the headroom in the DSP-settings (apply say -3dB gain)
I also let Roon convert everything to 96 kHz and added 3 dB of headroom, but I turned it off as I felt it added an extra step where one could have been avoided. I can't say that I've noticed the slightest difference, except perhaps for my old iMac core running a little bit cooler.

I’ve already done the same actually, but does simply adding headroom, allow the restoration of peaks that have been clipped in the recorded content?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom