Lyngdorf discussion

That's right, after the update you will get the choice "speakers + 1 BW-2 sub".

THANK YOU!
The software update changed SW version from 1.36a/DSP version 2.06a, to SW version 1.4a, DSP stayed the same. And that new choice for spekars and 1 bw-2 sub came up.

i did Advanced Settings/speaker setup/ chose 1 sub and then ”speakers with BW-2 sub”

Ran Speaker setup guide and chose sub connected to ANALOG OUT. On the sub, now line in is to bypass (bypass sub controls) and input switch to bypass.

Sound confirmation came from all 3 speakers, now the sub does respond! But the test confirmation response sound from the sub is much diminished from the test sound coming from the speakers, I about that.....

Ran RP to 98%

Now in MENU, for RP, I can set RP menu between focus or global. Choice was stuck on bypass before, no other choice.

Played system tester music, and found MUCH more base is coming from the main speakers that the sub. Sub sound level out is VERY soft.

Tried changing voicing, from neutral to action movie , base 1 and base 2. Still, so much more base is coming from the main speakers than the sub.

Should I be going into ADVANCED SETTINGS and be applying high pass to speakers and low pass to sub, to get a better balance between what is coming out of the sub? I thought with the preset ”speakers with BW-2 sub”, that the right crossover frequency assignment would be made, and I would not have to do any more tweaking.

What am i missing? What else to check?
Thank you.

THANK YOU!
The software update changed SW version from 1.36a/DSP version 2.06a, to SW version 1.4a, DSP stayed the same. And that new choice for spekars and 1 bw-2 sub came up.

i did Advanced Settings/speaker setup/ chose 1 sub and then ”speakers with BW-2 sub”

Ran Speaker setup guide and chose sub connected to ANALOG OUT. On the sub, now line in is to bypass (bypass sub controls) and input switch to bypass.

Sound confirmation came from all 3 speakers, now the sub does respond! But the test confirmation response sound from the sub is much diminished from the test sound coming from the speakers, I about that.....

Ran RP to 98%

Now in MENU, for RP, I can set RP menu between focus or global. Choice was stuck on bypass before, no other choice.

Played system tester music, and found MUCH more base is coming from the main speakers that the sub. Sub sound level out is VERY soft.

Tried changing voicing, from neutral to action movie , base 1 and base 2. Still, so much more base is coming from the main speakers than the sub.

Should I be going into ADVANCED SETTINGS and be applying high pass to speakers and low pass to sub, to get a better balance between what is coming out of the sub? I thought with the preset ”speakers with BW-2 sub”, that the right crossover frequency assignment would be made, and I would not have to do any more tweaking.

What am i missing? What else to check?
Thank you.

Great news. It needs a little help setting the levels right, but you can solve this by going to Advanced settings -> Analog output -> output level. Set it to some higher level, confirm that the level is fine by listening to some music with RP in Bypass, and then re-run RP.

Last edited:
Thanks @Rock Danger for the recommendation, these arrived today:
6324BE58-D794-467D-9C61-5C44CD368EF8.jpeg

Swapped out the other cables and these look to be working great, no issues flicking between inputs (hope I’ve not just jinxed things :rotfl: )

Hopefully so.. All my stuff is working 100% where it wasn't before. Kinda interesting that there are obviously some short cables that are worse than others.... copper gauge I suppose...

I think 2020 should be the year everyone throws out CAT5 and janky HDMI.

Hmm, Rock are you becoming that cable guy? Next thing will be silver gauge? And after that??? :D And what is wrong with CAT5e??????:rolleyes:
PS: no I actually like shielded ethernet cables. And silver for the rest, also shielded somehow.... FUD;-)

Last edited:
Hmm, Rock are you becoming that cable guy? Next thing will be silver gauge? And after that??? :D And what is wrong with CAT5e??????:rolleyes:
PS: no I actually like shielded ethernet cables. And silver for the rest, also shielded somehow;-)

Yes, do you not see I've been doing some Roon support recently too? I've also briefly talked about jazz.

Don't remember putting an 'e' on the end of CAT5..... how dare you sir *glove slap*

beeswax pistols at dawn.

Roon, Jazz, cables... Seriously, this is good news! Soon I can invite you over to listen to my new tube riaa :)

Last edited:
Hi - i plugged in my Nord yesterday and rewired everything to get back to 5.1.4 from 5.1. I was a bit cream crackered so I forgot to measure the distances from the focus position to all speakers before I ran RoomPerfect. Yesterday after around an hour I got to 99%.

This morning I remembered that I need to add distances and checked and yep all the distances were zero. I thought %£%%^.

But RoomPerfect allowed me to edit all the distances for the Focus Position this morning which I did. I added a couple more measurements this morning to get to 100%.

Will this be ok? RoomPerfect ran its calculations including my edited distances.

Or do I need to run a complete RoomPerfect calibration again?

George

Hi - i plugged in my Nord yesterday and rewired everything to get back to 5.1.4 from 5.1. I was a bit cream crackered so I forgot to measure the distances from the focus position to all speakers before I ran RoomPerfect. Yesterday after around an hour I got to 99%.

This morning I remembered that I need to add distances and checked and yep all the distances were zero. I thought %£%%^.

But RoomPerfect allowed me to edit all the distances for the Focus Position this morning which I did. I added a couple more measurements this morning to get to 100%.

Will this be ok? RoomPerfect ran its calculations including my edited distances.

Or do I need to run a complete RoomPerfect calibration again?

George
Nope, it won’t be ok. When you change distances you must rerun RP from scratch.

Nope, it won’t be ok. When you change distances you must rerun RP from scratch.

Thanks - thought so - but I was hoping - a job for this afternoon then - George

Roon, Jazz, cables... Seriously, this is good news! Soon I can invite you over to listen to my new tube riaa :)

I was watching a TV show last night that's very well shot, you'd swear it was HDR and it has gorgeous locations and I thought to myself that must be up near Eriksville, but turned out to be 100 mile south of me.

As soon as the you move the family of squatters out of the westminsters, I can bunk there, sounds good.

Great news. It needs a little help setting the levels right, but you can solve this by going to Advanced settings -> Analog output -> output level. Set it to some higher level, confirm that the level is fine by listening to some music with RP in Bypass, and then re-run RP.
Hestepare is right. It is best to tweak all the levels and distances to get it as right as possible before re-running RP. What I did was to play some familiar music in Bypass mode, and slowly up the Analog output e.g. +1.0, then +1.5 then +2.0 etc. till you get a nice comfortable blend between speakers and sub.

Not to worry Pebbles, I've already made a note of this in my diary.

Does it say "Hestepare's Hopes and Dream Journal - my journey becoming a woman"?

I don't know how to write such intricate sentences, sorry

I don't know how to write such intricate sentences, sorry
Oh sure you do!
1590255925786.png

If you can figure out TDAI you can figure this out too :rotfl:

Last edited:
Well that's something you don't hear every day......

...or ever.
Well. I have selective memory loss and can only remember the solitary success. I blanked out the other 23 hours of trial and error that sent me down rabbit holes and dead ends.:rotfl:

There are only successes. As they say in cycling, there is no such thing as tailwind. Only headwind and strong legs

BTW: any of you already compared Purify amplifiers with Lyngdorf TDAI amps? It is being whispered on the internet that these Purify amps are much better, because of the more advanced technology. Also better measuring amps. Peter Lyngdorf is involved and will use the same technology in the upcoming newest Lyngdorf amps. My plan is to compare a Purify amp with the SDA2400 and the TDAI2170 in time.

I am considering for example this 4 channel amp (because of my project with DSP and digital crossovers and a waveguide-cardioide monitor):

AUDIOPHONICS HPA-Q400ET Amplificateur 4 voies Class D Purifi 4x400W 4 Ohm - Audiophonics

hi - did look at both Apollon and Nord for a 3 channel Purifi but couldn't justify the premium on the NC500s which I got on Friday as most of my use is Home Theatre although with Roon I am playing a lot more music than I did previously - George

I thought I would write a few words on RoomPerfect vs Audyssey vs Dirac.

I used Audyssey for 5 years on a Marantz AV8801 (so pre Audyssey App). Audyssey is very easy to use - plug in mic and then follow the instructions. Audyssey every now and again got a good result in my room. The problem was it was really hard to reproduce. So if you changed something the next time it would sound terrible. Then there was the whole 'dark art' of mic positioning. All in all I didn't really like what Audyssey did in my room. So next my adventure was with Dirac.

I used Dirac for nearly 2 years first on NAD M17v2 processor (which I had a few issues with) and then a NAD T777v3. I did like what Dirac did in my room. But it had a very steep learning curve and I had a few experts in to do a few Dirac calibrations for me. So I picked up a few tips from them. Also the early days of NAD Dirac were really buggy but the latest releases of Dirac and NAD firmware are pretty stable. I thought the NAD/Dirac combo was pretty good the downside of the T777v3 for me was the fans were a little noisy. The appeal of the MP50 was the 'silence' of the unit - and yep it is quiet.

RoomPerfect - been using this for 2 weeks now and done 3 calibrations. One which was nixed due to a noob error in forgetting to do the measurements of my speakers from the focus position. But RoomPerfect is pretty easy to use once you have done all the prelim steps (i.e. define speaker size, measure distances, etc). It does take some getting used to do random positions after all the dark arts of Audyssey and even Dirac to some extent re mic positions. But I do like the fact that once you get to 100% knowledge that is as good as it gets. So no worries re did I get my mic positions correct, did I tune my Dirac curves correctly? I also like that you can 'pause' the measurements, i.e. get to 98% have a little rest as the tones especially the high frequency ones are loud and do get your ears ringing! After a little break you can get to 100%. Also the results are great - my sub is really well integrated into the overall soundscape. Also ran the Dolby Atmos demos (leaf & amaze) and Atmos is best that is has sounded in my room. Some of this maybe due to the 'native' performance of the Lyngdorf as I'm comparing a £2.5k (RRP) AV8801 vs £5.5k (RRP) M17v2 vs £12k (RRP) MP 50.

Still got a few things to learn, voicings are a little bit of mystery although I'm using Music on my Roon Tidal tracks and it seems to work for me.

Anyway enough rambling - George

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom