Lyngdorf discussion

Stuff the ports with a pair of rolled socks. This will "reduce" the bass output of the speakers and make them more suitable to place against the wall.
I asked Adam Audio tech support about that for my pro monitors, just thought I would try it as an experiment to see how it affected impulse response, sub integration etc, but they were clearly insulted and not happy at all about that proposal as the ports are a big, integral part of the (active in my case) speaker design;-) Of course I tried it anyways and the phase looked really weird afterwords and caused huge timing issues/delays in the impulse... So now I use socks mainly for my feet...

I don't think you need to do that. I have large rear ported speakers and have them up against the rear wall. Sounds awful without RC but with RC (either RP or Trinnov) not a problem at all.
That's my experience anyway.

The reason to stuff the ports is to avoid possible air noises of having the ports against the wall.

The reason to stuff the ports is to avoid possible air noises of having the ports against the wall.

I get that but it's just never caused a problem, or not one I can hear in my set up anyway.

Great video! I noticed that the speaker cabling (and possible power cable) seems to be aftermarket.
Speaker cable would be aftermarket as Lyngdorf do not supply speaker cable.....down to the dealer to decide what to use / their preference or which they supply to their customers.

Speaker cable would be aftermarket as Lyngdorf do not supply speaker cable.....down to the dealer to decide what to use / their preference or which they supply to their customers.
I am naive enough to think that some people who sell cables believe that they can increase SQ... My wife has encouraged me to buy better cables since she could hear the difference, so then it was easy and I ended up being a Wireworld and Nordost "fan" (sorry @Steve webber 413). And those fancy cables do add significantly to the geek factor when your mother in law comes for a visit, so that could be worth a few pennies by itself... :):eek:

Last edited:
Did any of you with an MP50 had to change the channel gain after running roomperfect?

Seems that the volume on my surrounds (S150T) is a little bit low.

Did any of you with an MP50 had to change the channel gain after running roomperfect?

No. Running IW150 all good.

Not hear either..
I was running surrounds as direct radiating and was too directional now have switched them to Di-pole and this does give me sense that the volume has dropped but once a good surround scene kicks in nope all is good.

But with tri-poles they must be magic :D I've always wanted them.

I did not get your point about the delay.

So if I choose 0.8 delay time on the Lyngdorf, this means that the Lyngdorf will delay the main speakers to match the REL subwoofers?
Do you like this approach?

My general comment is that you want different speakers to play the same sound at the same time, i.e. no relative delay.

I know nothing about REL or suitable delay to achieve that.

Of course I tried it anyways and the phase looked really weird afterwords and caused huge timing issues/delays in the impulse... So now I use socks mainly for my feet...

Plugging the port will change it to a sealed design which has far superior phase and transient response than ported (not to say audibly so).

So you'd need to redo your setup after the change.

My general comment is that you want different speakers to play the same sound at the same time, i.e. no relative delay.

I know nothing about REL or suitable delay to achieve that.

Plugging the port will change it to a sealed design which has far superior phase and transient response than ported (not to say audibly so).

So you'd need to redo your setup after the change.

I'm not sure it will change it to a sealed 'design', that would depend on the speaker. My speakers never came with port bungs because they weren't designed to have the ports blocked. So stuffing something into the ports will seal them but that doesn't mean the that the speaker was ever designed to be used in that way.

Not hear either..
I was running surrounds as direct radiating and was too directional now have switched them to Di-pole and this does give me sense that the volume has dropped but once a good surround scene kicks in nope all is good.

But with tri-poles they must be magic :D I've always wanted them.

That’s exactly what I’m experiencing. I cannot compair with direct radiating speakers but when I put the dolby Atmos trailers disc the surrounds seem fine. When I put a movie the surrounds seem more quite, maybe it’s just how it suppose to sound :D:D:D

I'm not sure it will change it to a sealed 'design', that would depend on the speaker. My speakers never came with port bungs because they weren't designed to have the ports blocked. So stuffing something into the ports will seal them but that doesn't mean the that the speaker was ever designed to be used in that way.
You MA Platinum 300 were never designed to be placed close to the walls either.

So stuffing something into the ports will seal them but that doesn't mean the that the speaker was ever designed to be used in that way.

I didn't say such.

Nevetheless if the port is closed it will function as a sealed design.

Likely not optimally; woofers for ported have lower Q than for sealed (because the port will raise the system Q), so the bass will likely be overdamped.

I found this on the Lyngdorf website

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 7.05.52 PM.png

To my knowledge, I never saw speakers placed in the corners like this pic. I assume that are talking about subwoofers BUT in the text they say SPEAKERS. Even if you check the 2170 manual it says the same thing.
Apparently, Lyngdorf recommends placing speakers against the wall, which seems counterproductive given everything we've all been told about soundstage width and especially depth.

I am wondering if any of you did compare different speakers' placements with the Lyngdorf amp?

Last edited:
'... the optimal position of traditional box speakers is against the wall, where there are practically no modes."

That is amazingly incorrect - wall placement maximally excites the length modes, while full (trihedral) corner placement maximally excites *all* of the room's modes.

'... the optimal position of traditional box speakers is against the wall, where there are practically no modes."

That is amazingly incorrect - wall placement maximally excites the length modes, while full (trihedral) corner placement maximally excites *all* of the room's modes.

Yes, I agree and this is why we need Lyngdorf to comment on this. Or maybe any experts here on the forum.

There are speakers designed for corner placement. Go and check pi speakers.
There are others too, which take advantege of the gain provided by a corner to improve efficiency.

What I notice with lyngdorf speakers and room perfect is that the sound stage grows behind the front wall and it is a bit confusing visually as we ear the sound coming from behind the a wall and Our senses fool us. I have gotten used to this though and it makes for a great sound IMO.

Placing a speaker against the wall does not increase the room mode, it only changes our perception of it in the listening position.
Moving it out into the room creates peaks and dips in the frequency response which might make the speaker sound better in the listening position, but then you have to deal with the reflections.

Last edited:
Placing a speaker against the wall does not increase the room mode, it only changes our perception of it in the listening position.
Moving it out into the room creates peaks and dips in the frequency response which might make the speaker sound better in the listening position, but then you have to deal with the reflections.

The first sentence is incorrect; see the Harman white paper on subwoofers

https://www.harman.com/sites/default/files/multsubs_0.pdf

or read any acoustics text for a more technical treatment.

The second sentence is correct, but misses the fact that there are modal peaks and dips no matter where in the room the speaker is.

Placing a speaker in a corner only reduces/eliminates reflections from the adjacent surfaces, not the rest of them.

Last edited:
I found this on the Lyngdorf website

View attachment 1143390

To my knowledge, I never saw speakers placed in the corners like this pic. I assume that are talking about subwoofers BUT in the text they say SPEAKERS. Even if you check the 2170 manual it says the same thing.
Apparently, Lyngdorf recommends placing speakers against the wall, which seems counterproductive given everything we've all been told about soundstage width and especially depth.

I am wondering if any of you did compare different speakers' placements with the Lyngdorf amp?
Sonic - that image refers to the original Lyngdorf W-210 corner woofers and not speakers.

Exactly, room modes (what's in a name) are room dependent, not speaker dependent. Except for exciting them that is. Cancellation is another matter.

If I had to say something negative about RoomPerfect, it is that is doesn't fight room modes fully. I expect this is because its algorithms prevent from correction (attenuation) above a certain value. With room modes, sometimes very strong attenuation (together with a very high Q value) is needed. I do this manually in Roon with PEQ.

Last edited:
There are speakers designed for corner placement. Go and check pi speakers.
There are others too, which take advantege of the gain provided by a corner to improve efficiency.

What I notice with lyngdorf speakers and room perfect is that the sound stage grows behind the front wall and it is a bit confusing visually as we ear the sound coming from behind the a wall and Our senses fool us. I have gotten used to this though and it makes for a great sound IMO.

Okay, so it is fine to place back ported speakers against the wall?

If moving out create peaks, what about the rule of thirds of placement?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom