Quantcast

Lyngdorf discussion

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If I use the M&K tripole speaker as SL and SR near or against the back wall I'm sure it will superb for movies.

Who can tell me if the use of such speaker (or dipole from different brand) also delivers good sound if being used for multi-ch audio?

The alternative is obviously using "normal" direct radiating speakers as SL and SR. I assume that will be better for multi-ch audio, but a lesser experience for movies ...
The Tripoles will work perfectly for both applications. No compromise with either.

Marcel073

Thanks.

Would you say that direct radiating speakers would also mean "no compromise with either application"? (assuming that a good quality speaker will be used)

JoeSepi

Thanks.

Would you say that direct radiating speakers would also mean "no compromise with either application"? (assuming that a good quality speaker will be used)
Well, it's what Dolby recommends for base and height speakers for Atmos.

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
We will always try and specify triple loudspeakers for surround use in any multi channel system.

Dolby recommend direct as this is what most manufacturers make so it keeps things simple. A tripole speaker will give a more immersive experience in our opinion.

It’s also horses for courses. We’ve designed many cinema rooms with monopole speakers of tripoles cannot be accommodated due to their physical nature.

Marcel073

@JoeSepi
As Rob Sinden stated in one of his previous posts: Better not be concerned too much about the exact specifications of Dolby, THX and ITU in terms of speaker placement.

@Seriously Ltd
So far I was referring to SL and SR.
What do you recommend your clients for Atmos channels: tripole or direct radiation?
(in my case it will be on-ceiling as in-ceiling is a no-go)

anjan

I have MK S150Ts for surround speakers. Watching GoT today, some of the metal-on-metal sounds during sword fights sounded like it was coming from outside the room. Freaky

Have to say, the Atmos soundtrack for GOT is outstanding - a great showcase for what the technology can achieve combined with a decent sound system.

Marcel073

Hi Anjan,

Sorry, I am not looking for the brand but whether you have chosen dipole or tripole speakers for your height channels or direct radiating ones.

Thanks,
Marcel

nkatz

Would you say that direct radiating speakers would also mean "no compromise with either application"?

In my experience, speakers with a high ratio of indirect to direct sound are far better for all surround speakers; more spacious and more immersive.

Most importantly, they're harder to localize.

My previous surrounds were all direct radiators, and I was bothered by hearing sounds from the individual top speakers.

I replaced them all with Mirage Omnipolars, which spread the sound over almost a full circle, and it was a huge improvement.

No localization, and there was now a canopy of sound.

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
@JoeSepi
As Rob Sinden stated in one of his previous posts: Better not be concerned too much about the exact specifications of Dolby, THX and ITU in terms of speaker placement.

@Seriously Ltd
So far I was referring to SL and SR.
What do you recommend your clients for Atmos channels: tripole or direct radiation?
(in my case it will be on-ceiling as in-ceiling is a no-go)
We usually specify in ceiling as they are easier to fit and and aesthetically nicer.

If you can accommodate tripoles then these will work very well. One of the MK dem rooms we use has S300T’s for height speakers. Very effective.

Rob Sinden

AVForums Sponsor
The aim of a 3D sound system is to create a seamless bubble of sound all around and above you. You shouldn’t be aware of any of the speakers and there should be no gaps in the soundstage.

Tripoles are an excellent way of achieving this, but whatever speakers you use, please don’t remove the reflections from walls and ceiling with treatment. If you do, the speakers may sound a little clearer, but their location becomes more obvious while the sense of “being there” in removed.

Visitors to our Room Correction Shoot Out on Sunday 28th will be able to hear this for themselves. The walls and speakers really do start to disappear…….

Hifindia

Anyone having better results with using a better USB cable to the 2170? Am using an Audioquest Forest ($40 MRP) directly from a laptop and wondering if I can improve the input signal with a Furutech GT2 Pro USB cable, Curious cable or Phasure Lush2.. Is it worth spending that kind of cash?

Rkosak

Anyone having better results with using a better USB cable to the 2170? Am using an Audioquest Forest ($40 MRP) directly from a laptop and wondering if I can improve the input signal with a Furutech GT2 Pro USB cable, Curious cable or Phasure Lush2.. Is it worth spending that kind of cash?
I've tried many usb cables with TDAI 2170 (and TDAI 3400). Furutech GT2 is not that good, (I have one) to be noticeable improvement. Stay with Audioquet. I have Audioquest Carbon and it is great match with TDAI. IFI Mercury is quite less clear, but great for money too. Also tried Wireworld Starlight 8, but both , Carbon and Mercury were better. In my setup usb cable goes from Aurender N100H to Lyngdorf. And I can hear audible difference and in my opinion it is worth upgrade.

Maybe in your setup, where the source is laptop, far best results would be some kind of reclocker, or even better galvanic isolator. Because pc generates lots of noise compared to dedicated streamer like Aurender. iFI iGalvanic 3.0 is great, or JCAT USB isolator (both have galvanic isolation + reclocking). I have JCAT USB isolator with great results.

Last edited:

Steve413

AudioQuest Coffee
AudioQuest Diamond

orange55

Chord Company Shawline or up in their range all five great results.

I highly recommend the Chord Signature Tuned Aray, transforms the sound. (If you are a believer)

Hifindia

I've tried many usb cables with TDAI 2170 (and TDAI 3400). Furutech GT2 is not that good, (I have one) to be noticeable improvement. Stay with Audioquet. I have Audioquest Carbon and it is great match with TDAI. IFI Mercury is quite less clear, but great for money too. Also tried Wireworld Starlight 8, but both , Carbon and Mercury were better. In my setup usb cable goes from Aurender N100H to Lyngdorf. And I can hear audible difference and in my opinion it is worth upgrade.

Maybe in your setup, where the source is laptop, far best results would be some kind of reclocker, or even better galvanic isolator. Because pc generates lots of noise compared to dedicated streamer like Aurender. iFI iGalvanic 3.0 is great, or JCAT USB isolator (both have galvanic isolation + reclocking). I have JCAT USB isolator with great results.
Thank you for your feedback sir.. Greatly appreciate it.. You are right about cleaning the signal from the laptop first and I will look to borrow any of the iFi Audio devices and check for myself... I will stick to my existing cheap Audioquest cable for the time being and spend money on improving the signal quality.. JCAT seems expensive because of shipping and custom duties (Am based in India) but I can try some of iFi purifiers/galvanic isolators... Will keep everyone posted once I am able to try one in my system...

Rkosak

Thank you for your feedback sir.. Greatly appreciate it.. You are right about cleaning the signal from the laptop first and I will look to borrow any of the iFi Audio devices and check for myself... I will stick to my existing cheap Audioquest cable for the time being and spend money on improving the signal quality.. JCAT seems expensive because of shipping and custom duties (Am based in India) but I can try some of iFi purifiers/galvanic isolators... Will keep everyone posted once I am able to try one in my system...
Good decision!

scoc

For the last 6 months I have been using the USB input on my LA3400 where-as the 6-7 years before I used AES or SPDIF. I cannot really describe it very well and my memory might not be that accurate but I found the SPDIF and AES inputs considerable better sounding than USB. Although usb sounds and good the sound can be a bit edgy and hard sounding and not as smooth as before with spdif and AES. The lan input on the LA 3400 is not better than usb I've tried that as well. I'm thinking of adding a separate streamer with AES output to avoid USB. I know there are various ways to improve usb with reclockers and other power supplies and even a different clock etc. But that's all adding various boxes just to try to improve the usb output where-as I think others like AES are better suited for audio. It's not that usb sounds bad on the LA combined with my Innuos streamer but I recall it sounding better before with my Nad M50 with AES output (I cannot compare this now anymore since I sold the NAD).

Rkosak

For the last 6 months I have been using the USB input on my LA3400 where-as the 6-7 years before I used AES or SPDIF. I cannot really describe it very well and my memory might not be that accurate but I found the SPDIF and AES inputs considerable better sounding than USB. Although usb sounds and good the sound can be a bit edgy and hard sounding and not as smooth as before with spdif and AES. The lan input on the LA 3400 is not better than usb I've tried that as well. I'm thinking of adding a separate streamer with AES output to avoid USB. I know there are various ways to improve usb with reclockers and other power supplies and even a different clock etc. But that's all adding various boxes just to try to improve the usb output where-as I think others like AES are better suited for audio. It's not that usb sounds bad on the LA combined with my Innuos streamer but I recall it sounding better before with my Nad M50 with AES output (I cannot compare this now anymore since I sold the NAD).
Maybe you are right, you are not the only one who prefer AES/EBU over usb. But when you have only usb output (as on my Aurender), you have to adjust usb little bit. For me JCAT usb galvanic isolator does the job very well.

PhilCTTE

Isn’t a usb cable similar to an hdmi cable in that it’s designed to a specification. Digital signals are buffered any degradation is down to either D to A and A to D process or noise carried by the cable due to its conductive ability . So basically if you have noisy equipment the cable can transmit this and can effect the D to A process. You would be better spending the money on not the cable itself but better isolation either by simple galvanic isolator that can be placed along the signal path, or a better cleaner source which deals with it. Either way a cable carrying a digital signal won’t make any difference. Maybe to an extent some shielding , but this is achieved by some of the cheaper cables anyhow. Anything else is wasting money

Rock Danger

Distinguished Member
@PhilCTTE Yes, it's exactly the same as an HDMI cable.

There's a bit of a misconception about PC's being noisy - this hasn't been a thing for quite a while now. A lot of processors etc are scaled down PC's - just look at the Trinnov, it has an intel i7 on a modified server board, it even has a standard I/O shield on the back.

If anyone bothered to do any research you'll see that not only has the quality of power supplies in PC's been upped again, but also the caps on the motherboards, including the thermal management on the VRM's and high quality caps etc.

But no.. the audioquest cable will do all the work... jesus wept.

Trending threads

Latest News

Micro LED TV alternative to modular design on the way?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Musical Fidelity announces M8xi integrated amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky announces price rises for UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG Display OLED panel production below forecasts
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic launches SC-HTB600 and SC-HTB400 soundbars