Quantcast

Lyngdorf discussion thread.

orange55

:D I do realise this is another rabbit hole, but I will try to answer...
The dCS is a pretty fancy kit so what it does to translate those bits to music, it does really well. So what I observe probably has mostly to do with the DAC itself, clocks, jitter attenuation, those fancy balanced output buffers, etc more than MQA vs not-MQA and it is difficult to be sure about any thing when it sounds so good to start with. But on very good recordings, that final "MQA rendering" up to e.g. 384kHz offered by the dCS DAC does seem to add some extra level of "being there" resolution that is fairly easy to hear, even with my old ears, also when I compare the same source through Roon via microRendu into the Mp-50 via USB... It is not easy for me to explain since I am not a hifi-journalist and refuse to use those words that they use. And I have not done any kind of A/B tests so I am clearly on thin ice here. But yes, that extra rendering does something to the better, on very good recordings... but it is marginal compared with for example a new amp, and inconsequential compared with getting new speakers, and completely nonsense compared with getting a better room :)
edit: I guess what I am saying is don't worry about it, there are so many other aspects to improve compared with the potential and tiny benefits of the MQA rendering.
But what about new fuses?

Rob Sinden

AVForums Sponsor
The measurment that Amir took here were incorrect. Lyngdorf’s TDA’s (true digital amplifiers) are a different design than other digital amplifiers and so they must be measured differently.

When measuring TDA’s you must:

Turn off ICC
Use AUX-0025 filter in front of your Audio Precision unit
Measure a single channel at a time

........then you will get the measurments you expect.

One of the features of Lyngdorf and Steinway systems is that they are silent. This isnt something I thought was a problem until I lived with their systems. When you do and then go back to traditional electronics, the noise they induce is obvious.

I think most people who have lived with a TDA will agree with this and would be dubious of the poor measured results published in this review. Apparently he thought the amp sounded terrific which was at odds with his poor (incorrect) measurements.

Years ago I tried Rotel digital amps and they sounded awful. I loved their analogue amps, but not their digital products. I mention this becuase the benefits that digital amps promise often dont translate to good sound so I would warn people not to bundle all digital amps as one.

Last year, someone familar with REW measured two of the cinema systems here. One measured very flat down to 10Hz, the other had no response below 100Hz. He regarded this as proof that the system was bass lite, even though the bass from this system was making the chairs we were sat on vibrate.

The system actually gave very flat response to well below 20Hz which he measured on a later visit. The reason for the poor measurments was an error had occured in REW and the mic being used was the one built into his laptop.

I’m all for measurments but its important that they taken are interpreted correctly which very often they are not.

Most important of all is to let your ears be the judge.

ibux

I got an email response from Lyngdorf as well:

Hi

the 2nd unfolding of MQA is primarily a filter with 'compensation' for errors related to the conversion in the DAC chip in operation

• as the process of your TDAI-3400 does not feature any DAC chip, MQA has their difficulties in designing the integration

but do not expect any significant change to the performance – even if MQA 2nd unfolding should be added

Best regards
Flemming Smith
LYNGDORF AUDIO
They didn't answer how second unfold of MQA might be implemented (if at all) in the TDAI-3400.

Rkosak

I don't care about measurements. For me the actual sound is the most important criterion to determine if I want (or prefer) some audio device. I had opportunity to test my Lyngdorf amp before purchase and no ”bad“ measurement would not changed my opinion, back then or now. Note that Peter Lyngdorf himself said that perfect measurement is not equal to perfect sound (cant find that video right now, but it was about RP).

indus

I don't care about measurements. For me the actual sound is the most important criterion to determine if I want (or prefer) some audio device. I had opportunity to test my Lyngdorf amp before purchase and no ”bad“ measurement would not changed my opinion, back then or now. Note that Peter Lyngdorf himself said that perfect measurement is not equal to perfect sound (cant find that video right now, but it was about RP).

You might be conflating. I'm assuming Mr Lyngdorf was referring to measurements relating to frequency response not the measurements/issues that Amir refers to.

arisholm

I like the analogy that an ideal amp is a "wire with gain", requiring no 20kHz AUX-0025 LP-filter (or even the 40kHz AUX-0040 filter Amir uses) to prevent out of band (noise shaping + switching) noise from being included in THD+N calculations... Like in the old days, when my Yamaha amp could reproduce DC-100kHz without an increase in noise above 20kHz, inaudible or not. On the positive side, with compatible piezo-electric tweeters, the ultrasonic noise of class-D can double as a pretty efficient mouse repellant (or bat repellant, depending on the model).

Last edited:

DT79

Is it possible to reset a single input back to its default name on the TDAI-2170, and If so, how do you do it please? Thanks!

larkone

As far as I know only a factory reset sets it back to the default names. Or you could just manually rename it to the original name

DT79

As far as I know only a factory reset sets it back to the default names. Or you could just manually rename it to the original name
Thanks, the trouble is knowing which is which, that’s the reason I want to do it!

larkone

Time for a reset then. Mind you it gives the option to run RP again - just in case you can improve it over the last run.

arisholm

Now here is a nice album to assess whether your bass, stereo perspective, timing and dynamics are okay. Voices should be in your face, so to speak... Try it with a glass of wine, then for some unknown reason it sounds even better:
1579281954768.png

Rock Danger

Did you put the proper fuses in your wine?

arisholm

Ah, yes of course I did! maybe that's why the wine works so well!!
edit: special NOS edition of a high-end fuse compatible with the Veneto region actually, but with a scent of walnut to integrate better with the Tannoys :)

Last edited:

DT79

Time for a reset then. Mind you it gives the option to run RP again - just in case you can improve it over the last run.
No thanks! I can figure it out with trial and error if I have to. I was just hoping for an easy way.

orange55

Do anyone know if the MP-50 supports hapless playback over UPNP?

My test show no, but want to check if I missing something.

Thanks in advance fellow fans.

Sajihassan

Novice Member
I am planning to buy Denafrips Ares 2 R2R dac to go along with my Lyngdorf TDAI 2170. Will there be any noticeable improvement in the sound quality or the dac in the Lyngdorf is better. I have seeing lot of good reviews about the Denafrips Ares 2 dac. Also I have sent my oppo 203 to oppomod to upgrade the femto clock as well as some upgrades in the dac boards.

anjan

I had the Denafrips Terminator (and have a Lyngdorf 3400). I ended up selling it. It was superior to optical input but not that different to sources connected by AES. Because the 3400 is a digital amplifier, it effectively reconverts the analog output from the Denafrips DAC to digital, amplifies it and then does its own d/a conversion. I don't think this can be bypassed.

Some here have reported significant improvements with other 'high end' DACs, so I guess your mileage may vary.

Sajihassan

Novice Member
I had the Denafrips Terminator (and have a Lyngdorf 3400). I ended up selling it. It was superior to optical input but not that different to sources connected by AES. Because the 3400 is a digital amplifier, it effectively reconverts the analog output from the Denafrips DAC to digital, amplifies it and then does its own d/a conversion. I don't think this can be bypassed.

Some here have reported significant improvements with other 'high end' DACs, so I guess your mileage may vary.
Did you try it with rca connection.

Trending threads

Latest News

Hisense abandons OLED TV models
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Loewe back after Skytec takeover
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Kef Reference Series gets new finish and additional model
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published