Lyngdorf amplifiers with RoomPerfect

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Lyngdorf stereo amplifiers now warrant a thread of their own, so here it is.

Lyngdorf amplifiers are very different from most traditional amplifier, so its worth pointing out a few of the key differences they claim about their products:-

Room Perfect – Put a very good CD, amp and speakers in a room and you will typically get 15db variation from what the speaker designer intended. This means that some sounds will be heard four time louder than another. Anyone who has moved a hifi from one room to another will know how much the room affects the sound of your system.

RoomPerfect can be set up by anyone and requires no specials training, laptop or internet connection. It is the only room correction systems designed for very high-fidelity music systems and that preserves the sound of your speakers rather than changing them to fit the intended response of the EQ system.

No amount of room design and treatment or accessories and tweaking can accurately correct the errors created by the listening room in the same way digital room correction can.

Digital Design – Lyngdorf amplifiers are essentially very powerful DACs. Connect them digitally to your sources and the signal path between your recordings and you speakers will be kept in the digital domain much longer. The end result is cleaner, clearer music.

If you have large floor standing speakers, you may think multiple amplifiers are required. Traditional analogue amplifiers are very inefficient, so most of the power they consume is turned into heat and not sound. This is why, the chassis for powerful amplifiers are so large and expensive.

Lyngdorf digital amplifiers are far more efficient so the TDAi3400 amplifier for example, is in a compact chassis that delivers 2 x 400w and is capable of driving the grandest of speakers.

Subwoofer Integration -We believe a high-end music system should be able to reproduce all the sounds in your recordings down to 20Hz. Loudspeakers that do this are very big and very expensive. A high-performance subwoofer has the potential to reproduce the lowest frequencies in your music, however typically their addition to a good hifi can make the sound a little ponderous while timing is also affected.

RoomPerfect is unique in measuring and correcting the sound of your speakers and subwoofers together. Once RoomPerfect has been run you will achieve a seamless splice between your speakers and sub and a far more even in room response.

@ Rob Sinden

Your post reads like you are in the trade selling these?

A couple of questions if I may.

I understand for Room Perfect the speakers need to be against the wall? I would require mine to be minimum 60cm (2 foot) out from the wall. How much of an issue is this for Room Perfect to work? And is this full height or would putting solid furniture behind the base drivers resolve this?

What is the UK warranty on the 3400? I can find no reference anywhere online

Does the 3400 have HT bypass? If not does it have a numerical display for volume (e.g. -30dB)?

It’s not an issue for RoomPerfect at all.
The 3400 does have HT bypass mode.
Steve

Rob Sinden, at least 50% of what you reference is part of [what we general refer to as] the pre-amp section. No?

There is already a thread discussing Lyngdorf processors and RoomPerfect.

If a separate thread was needed, shouldn't it focus more on Lyngdorf amplifiers? The Millennium, SDA-2400 and MX-8400 for example.

Rob Sinden, at least 50% of what you reference is part of [what we general refer to as] the pre-amp section. No?

There is already a thread discussing Lyngdorf processors and RoomPerfect.

If a separate thread was needed, shouldn't it focus more on Lyngdorf amplifiers? The Millennium, SDA-2400 and MX-8400 for example.
The Millennium is a Legacy unit now....the MXA-8400 is at least a year away.
The SDA-2400 is current....but is a power amplifier and does not have RoomPerfect.

The SDA-2400 is current....but is a power amplifier and does not have RoomPerfect.
Exactly! So what is this thread addressing that the other does not? Is the goal to separate discussion of the multi-channel P200 and MP-50?

I just browsed over to Lyngdorf.com and see that they are manufacturing a total of 8 products at this time. 3 of these are speakers/subwoofer, 1 a CD player, and 1 a standalone amplifier. I have a degree in Applied Mathematics and I have calculated that there are a total of 3 current processors with Room Perfect. Should we create a separate thread for each one?

I just browsed over to Lyngdorf.com and see that they are manufacturing a total of 8 products at this time. 3 of these are speakers/subwoofer, 1 a CD player, and 1 a standalone amplifier. I have a degree in Applied Mathematics and I have calculated that there are a total of 3 current processors with Room Perfect. Should we create a separate thread for each one?
Feel free to if that what you want to see nospam.

It’s not an issue for RoomPerfect at all.
The 3400 does have HT bypass mode.
Steve
Thank's for the reply. Appreciated.
To clarify;-
The manual states to place speakers against the wall for RoomPerfect to work, however it is still no issue to have speakers in their more traditional 60 - 90cm out from the wall? Speakers are Montior Audio Gold 300
No mention re the UK warranty length...

Thank's for the reply. Appreciated.
To clarify;-
The manual states to place speakers against the wall for RoomPerfect to work, however it is still no issue to have speakers in their more traditional 60 - 90cm out from the wall? Speakers are Montior Audio Gold 300
No mention re the UK warranty length...
Sorry 2 year warranty.
Nice speakers btw.

Rob, I’m surprised that the MXA8400 is still a year away. I had expected it about now?

Is it more than simply four 2400s in a single box then?

Sorry 2 year warranty.
Nice speakers btw.
Thank you for stating the UK warranty period. I couldn’t find it mentioned on the Lyngdorf website.

Please forgive me for being direct - I do not wish to sound rude but this is a major consideration for my purchase. Is two years not a very short warranty period for a £5k+ amplifier? I have it on my to audition shortlist against a Cambridge Edge (5 years if registered) and possibly a Bryston if I can get a home audition (no local dealer but 20 year warranty). How does your 2 year warranty period on your premium product tie in with the 2015 Consumer Rights Act which gives 6 years (5 in Scotland) to claim for repair or replacement?

It comes with a 2 year warranty....but I will double check as SL comes with 5 year.

From what I understand…..

The new 8 channel amplifier is based on a completely new technology. It could ship very soon, but the delay is in it passing all the safety regs. Apparently, this can take over a year, so best estimates are that it won’t be available for 12 months.

I am used to the way most amplifier brands work. So integrated amp, power amps with more oomph, mono blocks with a bit more grunt and then on to a dedicated pre amp.

What is confusing with Lyngdorf is that each amp seems like a whole new design. I’m sorry but my technical know how in this area is very limited. All I can say, is that the upgrade path through their amp designs is very different to traditional amp brands.

Peter Lyngdorf was showing graphs of one element of its performance next to the next best alternative, which apparently is a Hyphex design. One looked like a map of the Himalayas, the other looked like Norfolk.

A few people I know who are engineers thought what they were being shown was amazing. I didn't get it.

It comes with a 2 year warranty....but I will double check as SL comes with 5 year.
It is perhaps unfair of me to single out Lyngdorf when other manufacturers offer similar, however it is your product that is on my to audition list.

If you have such little faith in the reliability and durability of your own product beyond 2 years ownership as to provide imo such paltry after sales service then why should I have enough faith to part with £5k+ hard earned on a single amplifier that may have to be binned after 25 months?

I note your silence re my question on the compatibility of your 2 year warranty with the 2015 consumer rights act.

It is perhaps unfair of me to single out Lyngdorf when other manufacturers offer similar, however it is your product that is on my to audition list.

If you have such little faith in the reliability and durability of your own product beyond 2 years ownership as to provide imo such paltry after sales service then why should I have enough faith to part with £5k+ hard earned on a single amplifier that may have to be binned after 25 months?

I note your silence re my question on the compatibility of your 2 year warranty with the 2015 consumer rights act.
If I may point out I am a Lyngdorf Dealer not the manufacturer.......!

If I may point out I am a Lyngdorf Dealer not the manufacturer.......!
Thank you for clarifying this confusion and apologies for my mistake - however, as I understand it (and please correct me if I am wrong), it is the dealer (i.e. you) to whom the customer goes back to / takes to court re the 2015 Consumer Rights Act, not the manufacturer. Therefore it should be(!) the dealer assuming responsibility for after sales customer service.

If you buy something in the UK from Lyngdorf or Steinway Lyngdorf and it becomes faulty, you would return to the dealer and then I would deal with it.

In the 15 years I've been dealing with Lyngdorf its never been an issue. The products are very reliable and their customer support is excellent.

Plus, now you have places like this Forum to vent your spleen if you think you aren't getting the service you should.

Thank you for clarifying this confusion and apologies for my mistake - however, as I understand it (and please correct me if I am wrong), it is the dealer (i.e. you) to whom the customer goes back to / takes to court re the 2015 Consumer Rights Act, not the manufacturer. Therefore it should be(!) the dealer assuming responsibility for after sales customer service.
I certainly am responsible as the dealer when Or if a problem arises wth the products that I sell within their warranty period...and I deal with them accordingly.....
I think mentioning taking people to court at the enquiry stage is a bit strong!

Last edited:

The manufacturer's warranty and the Consumer Rights Act are two entirely separate things and are managed separately from a consumers point of view - they do not have to be or need to 'compatible'. Once the two year warranty has run out you have the continued protection of the CRA. Why are you asking dealers about their stance on the CRA?

I’m sorry to hear you have had such bad experiences with product failures and warranties.

I assume you have followed up the manufacturer and not had a satisfactory response?

Are you voicing the issues you had with these products on this Forum on the appropriate thread? I think it might help...........

I think Bryston have a 20 year guarantee so this would be my suggestion if the manufacturers warranty is top of your list when buying an amplifier.

I have never had a warranty or service issue with an unsatisfactory outcome with Lyngdorf or Steinway Lyngdorf. If anyone here does have an issue, please let me know.

I might be dense, but what exactly does this thread bring that the Lyngdorf discussion thread ("for all things Lyngdorf") doesn't?

For someone interested in Lyngdorf stuff, including their stereo amps (the TDAI-2170 and the TDAI-3400) there's an abundance of discussions, information and history that is valuable and interesting to people discovering the brand. I learned a lot from reading the old posts and I am very often going back to certain posts to see graphs, suggestions and so on. I don't see what this new thread brings other than if you're interested in Lyngdorf amps, you'd now have to watch two threads instead of one.

I started this thread on Lyngdorf amps because currently if someone is interested in HiFi and clicks on this area of the Forum, there is no mention of Lyngdorf and virtually nothing on room correction, subs etc.

I see. Could it then be possible somehow to link to the other Lyngdorf thread from this part of the forum instead? That way, those who are interested would get the whole nine yards.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom