Lyngdorf 1120 Vs seperates

DT79

I have been thinking about a sub since I got my 1120. Every time one pops up with positive remarks I have a look but this one doesn't seem to exist or perhaps it has different naming in different markets? The are a number in their 3000 series but no pro SVS 3000 Series. On a more general question is it worth having a sub with DSP with the 1120 because surely it does it for you? Never having delved into the world of subs I don't really know!
Yes the 1120 does all the filtering and levels etc for you, any jiggery pokery in the sub will be by-passed.

Hikoki

I did not rearrange any furniture but did try to position the KEFs about 5 feet away from back and side walls. Lyngdorf actually recommends them being flat against the wall, but I didn’t like the look of that in my room. The sub is centered, but in a very bad position: hidden inside the (never used) fireplace with a bunch of vinyl LP sitting on a small support in front of it.

Now, on one hand I don’t believe in miracles and don’t want to make RP sound like that. But for me it worked and I love the sound.
Sounds encouraging! ☺️

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
If you are adding a sub to a stereo system there are a few things to consider.

Ideally the amplifier you use should have bass management rather than just subwoofer connections. This means that rather than sending all frequencies to your speakers and subs, just mid and high frequencies are reproduced by the amp and speaker while just the low frequencies are reproduced by the sub.

This allows your speakers and amplifier to play much louder and with less distortion and is the trick to why small speakers in home cinemas can play so loud.

Most subs are made to add additional low frequency to existing speaker systems. The more output they have, the easier they are to sell and with frequencies below 80Hz some distortion is normally accepted. If you are looking for the best quality bass, these subs may not be for you.

Lyngdorfs boundary woofers are a completely different design from any alternatives. They are designed for the fastest, most articulate bass and play flat up to 800Hz.

Try and get an audition on a TDAi1120 with a pair of the tiny MH3 speakers and a BW3 boundary woofer and I think you’ll be amazed. I have a dozen systems here that I demonstrate most days and it’s this one that everyone is bowled over by.

If you have the funds and space available, using a pair of boundary woofers placed on the front wall, you can use their full 800Hz bandwidth and create a remarkable little system.

When the BW2/MH2 combination was first produced, Peter Lyngdorf took it to one of the Hi End shows in Denmark and on both days, visitors voted this their favorite sounding system. This package costs around £6k while some of the other system used speakers costing over £100k.

There has been very little effort to promote and explain these systems yet, but I can assure you they are remarkable. With the bigger speakers and boundary woofers become available later this year its going to make for some very awkward conversations at hi shows.

craigd

You wouldn’t have to get the Lyngdorf satellites - just the TDAI-1120 and the boundary woofers. I use LS50 with boundary woofers and they sound excellent.

andycc72

You wouldn’t have to get the Lyngdorf satellites - just the TDAI-1120 and the boundary woofers. I use LS50 with boundary woofers and they sound excellent.
Do you have one or two of the boundary woofers?

I’m getting the 1170 (when funds permit) and it will be with LS50’s and two REL T5i’s. wondering whether to sell Rel’s and buy 1 boundary woofer.

craigd

I have two boundary woofers placed in the front corners. Only with such a configuration - spaced apart and on the front wall - are they really beneficial because you can crossover at 300Hz+

In your position I would set it up with LS50 and the two RELs once you have the TDAI and see how it sounds. I don’t think it’s worth the outlay for one BW unless you definitely plan to get two.

The RELs don’t play very high (REL T5 Subwoofer HT Labs Measures) so your crossover needs to be close to 90Hz even with two in a stereo configuration.

andycc72

I have two boundary woofers placed in the front corners. Only with such a configuration - spaced apart and on the front wall - are they really beneficial because you can crossover at 300Hz+

In your position I would set it up with LS50 and the two RELs once you have the TDAI and see how it sounds. I don’t think it’s worth the outlay for one BW unless you definitely plan to get two.

The RELs don’t play very high (REL T5 Subwoofer HT Labs Measures) so your crossover needs to be close to 90Hz even with two in a stereo configuration.
Thanks Craig. It won’t be a few months yet until I’m in a position to buy the 1120. I’ll stick with the RELs initially as two BW’s is not possible for a long while.

cheers
A

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom