Lying with a workplace

Yesterday, an incident occurred on the shift which i dont work on, they work mornings, we work lates and alternate it.

The incident was that someone had some how driven into warehouse racking, bending the main support and also damaging the thing, ripping one of the bolts from the ground (this has been hit with some serious force).

No one yesterday owned up to it, but infact tried to hide the fact it was damaged by sticking a pallet over the evidence :thumbsdow

Not only could this of been a serious incident and caused a whole lot of **** for the company with regards to it falling down on someone or something along those lines.

The other thing is, cameras are all around for things like this, and yes the culprit has been seen, not only doing it, but coming back and using his forks to try and rectify the damage (dunno how he planned to bend a metal racking back into place with forks). And then putting the pallet over the damaged/sheered bolt section to try and hide it.

Today, he got called up and another guy as they were the only 2 on the truck, no one admitted it, so i come on later and get called up saying do i know out etc, i reply no as i didnt at the time. The guy that did it, had the cheek to turn around to me and say, its a bad one that, who ever did it should of reported it straight away so it could of been dealt with ? *** :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Is this guy for real? caught on camera and totally oblivious to it all, he even said the same thing to the team leader. What makes it worse still, is that he still aint owned up to it, we are all getting dragged into his mess and being investigated because he aint man enough to own up.

The other frighting thing is, is that he is the Supervisor of the shift that was on at the time :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I really do wonder what happens to this lying idiot

qwerty321

If he has been caught on camera then why isn't the management just showing him that and kicking his backside out of there?

i dont know whether they are wanting or waiting to see how long it takes for him to come forward and admit it, or if they genuinely cant see him hit it clear as day...... for someone in his position, management, leadership etc this is showing

Badger0-0

I've repaired all sorts of damage with a fork truck.
Mind you, I'm talking about 6 tonners and over :)

I actually feel a bit sorry for the bloke.
If he's a supervisor, he obviously wants to get on, is probably crapping himself about losing his job and probably wishes he'd just held his hands up in the first place.

It's just ridiculous lying about it though.
Mistakes happen, simple as.

But if I was the manager, I'd want to know why it happened.
If it was about him just trying to work as fast/efficiently as possible, fair enough; A lecture and told to slow down/be more careful.

But if he was just being stupid, that's a sacking.

As for you getting dragged in, don't worry about it.
It wasn't you, so just keep your trap shut, imo.

jay mc

Novice Member
Accidents happen, its how you deal with them after that makes the diffrence between a good outcome and potental sacking witch hiding evidence and lying can and in some cases should lead to. Own up take the warning and possible retesting and there should be no need for further action unless the driver has a history of problems, could they have had a drink the night befor and testing be in place for accidents as it should be?
A broken beam or upright could easly give way at any point and if customers or staff are caught up in it death is a real possibilty and only last week a member of staff was killed at a booker warehouse that appears to have been a crushing type incident.

technoman28

Apart from the obvious "he should own up" answer, this incident also seems to demonstrate to me (and should also to your health and safety guy) that there is a potential problem.
H&S is a mix of something that has potential to cause an incident, with the risk of that incidence occuring. The fact that it did occur shows that the risk is high, and your H&S guy should be looking at ways to reduce the risk. Most warehouses with racking have corner posts fixed into the ground that are meant to protect the racking itself.
I know through experience that a lot of H&S issues are treated with scorn and deemed a waste of time, but as has been demonstrated, there is a potential problem that was reasonably minor (ie no injuries etc) this time, but next time could end up being more serious.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
People are scared to death of losing their jobs these days and unscrupulous employers (not saying your company is that :) ) will use any little thing to get rid of people and avoid having to pay redundancy.

Hulligan

Anyone who's ever driven a forklift will have had some kind of accident at some point, dont see the point in trying to hide it or try passing the blame.

My best one would be at my previous workplace, we made the electric powered doors for buses, trains etc.

Picked up couple of pallets of the tempered glass we used, not realising they were still strapped together. The one on the front of the forks furthest away wasn't on the forks correctly and because they were still strapped together, when i reversed the front box fell off the forks and pulled the other box off with it.

Que two pallets full of quite expensive tempered glass hitting the deck.

For those that dont know, tempered glass is seriously strong if you hit it on the flat side, but if it hits a corner it shatters into a million bits. Guess what happened?

The worst part is i'd only been there around a week, so was still trying to "impress" and i go and do something like that, felt a right ***. Went and told my manager/supervisor about it, he was amazing calm about it all. I was expecting a right ear full, but all he said was these things happen and not to worry.

After spending a few hours cleaning it all up we all had a laugh about it, and by that, i mean they all had a laugh about the look on my face when it hit the deck. :D

**** happens from time to time, not owning up to it makes it 10x worse than whatever it was you did in the first place.

The guy is lucky this didn't happen, good luck trying to hide that!

nacmacfeegle

As Technoman mentioned above.
The guy has a moral and legal obligation to fess up to this. If he is afraid of some sort of punishment for damaging the racking, then there is a Health and Safety culture problem. The problem may be in the workforce or in the management, or both. I can't tell from the brief post.

Personally, I wouldn't want to work with someone who knowingly puts his workmates in peril, and tries to cover it up, for whatever reason.

The racking did have corner posts, big yellow things bolted to the floor, he sheered one of the bolts out of the floor he hit it that hard, very lucky the racking didnt fall down. I think he is scared like anyone would be of losing his job, specially the position he is in being a team leader / supervisor. But like i said, we have all been told, report any accidents and it wont be as bad a punishment, leaving it for someone else to take the blame is just cowardly.

I hope he has fessed up today when i go in, but i very much doubt it, this could be one horrible xmas for him if they sort out before hand

HMHB

Distinguished Member
But like i said, we have all been told, report any accidents and it wont be as bad a punishment, leaving it for someone else to take the blame is just cowardly.

Why should people be punished at all for an accident? Unless they are messing about at the time then accidents do happen and should not go against the person involved surely?

leo79

The racking did have corner posts, big yellow things bolted to the floor, he sheered one of the bolts out of the floor he hit it that hard, very lucky the racking didnt fall down. I think he is scared like anyone would be of losing his job, specially the position he is in being a team leader / supervisor. But like i said, we have all been told, report any accidents and it wont be as bad a punishment, leaving it for someone else to take the blame is just cowardly.

I hope he has fessed up today when i go in, but i very much doubt it, this could be one horrible xmas for him if they sort out before hand

Couldn't you whisper a very helpful "they know you did it" into his ear? He's probably ******** bricks at the moment in case he loses his job, at least if he owns up he might stand a chance of making up for the initial lie.

I dont make the rules JohnG.... i think its punishment if accidents are that serious and u wasnt taking care etc, not of this nature. I could whisper in his ear, but i think the fact he has left it this long is not really good for him.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Why should people be punished at all for an accident? Unless they are messing about at the time then accidents do happen and should not go against the person involved surely?

Some people have the view there is no such thing as an 'accident' - only something caused by someone not paying attention at the right time (at best).

Houghsx

Distinguished Member
Some people have the view there is no such thing as an 'accident' - only something caused by someone not paying attention at the right time (at best).

My company made the same statement until a member of the management burnt himself and then suddenly it was an accident :facepalm: talk about protecting your own :suicide:

KUBBY

Standard Member
The "Accident or Messing about" aspects are incidental,really.This guy is in a position of trust.He is a shift supervisor,a team leader.he has betrayed that trust,

Covering up the damage and then trying to deflect blame are not the actions of a person entrusted to lead others.

K.

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Dude is toast . If a supervisor lied to me I'd have to fire him; in fact I pretty much did as much last week.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Actually I'd overlooked the fact that he was a supervisor and supposed to be setting an example. I got sidetracked by the fact that people seem to get punished for an accident :)

This is my whole point, the fact he is a supervisor is shocking, as said he is suppose to lead by example, instead he turns around and says he knows nothing about it, drags me and another guy into it and has the nerve to say to us, its a bad one that, who ever done it should of said and it could of been dealt with.

I have a feeling he will be demoted or something along these lines, as of yesterday he had still not come forward and said it was him!!!

Berties

Banned
Jesus. Why is this dragging out? Just mention something along the lines of...

Attachments

• candid_camera.jpg
    candid_camera.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 61

jenam93

I don't quite get it. If you know 100% this person has done it then Management must too and it is up to them to sort it.

But.....how do you know this person has actually done it? Have you seen the CCTV footage yourself or is it just an assumption on your part?

Jenn

Novice Member
What's puzzling is that everyone seems to know except the guy who did it, and then they drag it on.

If the guy hasn't admitted to it by now, he won't do it unless he's cornered. Nobody wants to lose their job in the week before Christmas and that's probably why he's not talking.

I'm not sure the company is handling this very professionally though.

p9ul

Distinguished Member
Seems like everyone knows it was him and he's been given the opportunity to come forward of his own volition - but he's not taken that up - the longer it goes on the deeper the hole he's digging for himself is getting.

He might be in denial. I remember when I was in my teens with a paper round and we had to "make up" our own papers in the morning before setting off on the round, a mate of mine said "here, watch this" to me before smuggling a copy of Razzle into his bag. Later on while I was on my round the shop owner came round and checked by bag - I knew why instantly. When I got home I hadn't been in that long before my mate came knocking on my door saying he'd been sacked for thieving the mag - swore blind he'd never done it even though he was showing off in front of half a dozen of us...

Back on topic - the guy's doomed IMO - the issue of the accident has been way overshadowed by the lying, cover up and throwing his hands in the air with the "I know nothing!" attitude - hardly attributes required from someone who's expected to lead by example.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Amazon Music fully available on Android TV and Google TV platforms
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces A90J UK/EU price and March availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage