Lying-in-bed set-up dilemma

Niber

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, my home theather setup is based on lying in bed, not sitting in a sofa. Sure, one day I have plans on building the bed into a fold-up murphy bed, so that I can occationally put a sofa there isntead, but in most cases it will remain a bed set-up.

So I mounted my speakers onto the ceiling, but the audio was pretty bad honestly, the plank that I mounted the center speaker on seems to cause some vibration that made some voices sound boomy. Also in general, some people say that you should never mount front speakers that high up.

The way I see it, since I'm lying down, it makes sense for the speakers to be high up the further away it is. Because if I put floor mounted speakers down then it will sound like the sound is coming from my feet rather than from forward.

The other problem with having speakers be eye-level, is that they are so visible. This is a historical room, so I'm going for the feel of being completely without tech, only when you press the secret button does the projector screen go down. so I was ideally hoping to keep the speakers drawing as little attention as possible. I've considered buying in-ceiling speakers as I'm renovating the ceiling anyway, but it seems in-ceiling speakers aren't really made for being good quality front speakers.

Are there any solutions?
1655330093384.png

Hey! Can you post some real photos from the room from few directions so we get better idea and hopefully members can make some recommendations then?! :)

Booming is simply because the speaker is mounted where it is as it can (and usually does) create the effect your experiencing. What centre channel are you using?

As @Gasp3621 has mentioned, some real world photos would help. Depending upon the location of the left and right front speakers, you might be better seeing how it sounds in phantom mode which will eliminate the centre channel to see how the audio sounds

The reason the sound is coming from the angle of your feet is that your lying in bed with your feet up close to the intended apeaker height. If your sitting then this would not apply here.

Yes always ensure speakers at around ear level. the only ones anywhere on the ceiling is to be used exclusively for Dolby atmos and dts x.

So you lying in bed and then complaining about the sound which is clearly out of spec and not what the sound mix is designed for?

I hope you didn't put the tv on the ceiling too!

The reason the sound is coming from the angle of your feet is that your lying in bed with your feet up close to the intended apeaker height. If your sitting then this would not apply here.

Yes always ensure speakers at around ear level. the only ones anywhere on the ceiling is to be used exclusively for Dolby atmos and dts x.

So you lying in bed and then complaining about the sound which is clearly out of spec and not what the sound mix is designed for?

I hope you didn't put the tv on the ceiling too!
Well I'm not trying to complain, just trying to figure out a way to make this setup work. But yeah lately I've been focusing on making the setup more conventional, as I realized that sometimes I will remove the bed and use a sofa instead, and in those cases I can't have the speakers be on the ceiling any more.

Booming is simply because the speaker is mounted where it is as it can (and usually does) create the effect your experiencing. What centre channel are you using?

As @Gasp3621 has mentioned, some real world photos would help. Depending upon the location of the left and right front speakers, you might be better seeing how it sounds in phantom mode which will eliminate the centre channel to see how the audio sounds
Right, yeah I'll put it lower instead. I was using a Wharfedale 220C, but I recently bought (but still waiting for delivery) the KEF Q650C, which doesn't have mounting holes so it kind of forces me to put the center down on the table anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom