LX81/71/51 with XE1 / EP35 Feedback Please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bonoman, Feb 3, 2009.

1. bonoman

bonoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I need to ask for help / feedback if possible please from fellow forum members who have a Toshiba HD-DVD Player & a recent Pioneer Receiver.

I have an XE1 (firmware 4.0) & an SC-LX81 connected via HDMI. I have the XE1 configured to bitstream audio via HDMI to the LX81.

I get regular audio dropouts when playing any English Dolby Digital Plus Soundtrack from Universal or Paramount HD-DVDs through the LX81. The problem is fully repeatable, happens every 93 seconds from the time the movie starts & continues throughout.

I know another user has reported the same issue with their EP35 & their LX51.

I'd be very grateful if anyone else who may have these 2 types of equipment could please take a few mins to run a test on their systems & post back results please ?

Thank you very much in advance.

2. helgeb

helgeb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Same problem her.
    Dropouts on these disks so far

"The Italian Job" Paramount
    "The Holiday" Universal
    "Transformers" Paramount

Not on
    "The Island" Warner

Toshiba HD-XE1 Firmware 4.0 and Pioneer VSX-LX51
    Connected HDMI

3. helgeb

helgeb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's 92 sec between the dropouts

I think it's the Pioneer that causing the problem. Because when i switch the receiver to "Tuner" when the dropout
    happen and wait 30 sec and go back to "DVD" (XE1) it goes 92 sec to the dropout.
    If it had been the Toshiba that causing the problem it should have only gone 60 sec.

When the dropout happen i get a display dropout (see the video at 6 sec) "The Holiday" Norwegian HD-DVD

dropout

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  4. bonoman

bonoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks helgeb.

I've also tested my HD-DVDs that were causing the issue & can see that there is some variance too (not necessarily every 93 secs on the discs if they are fast forwarded or rewound). Example - If I let the first dropout occur at the first 93secs, hear the dropout & see the display change for that instance on the receiver & then rewind the HD-DVD to a few seconds before the dropout, it actually does not happen again until another 93 secs. So I guess it goes some way to proving that its probably not all the HD-DVDs or media that are the root cause.

To be honest I'm not going to get too fixated on the issue at this stage since HD-DVD is discontinued, & my XE-1 is out of warranty, I can't see either Toshiba or Pioneer entertaining any of their time trying to sort it out.

If my XE-1 was within warranty I may have pursued it a little more, & since I don't have a single BluRay in my collection that has a Dolby Digital Plus soundtrack, I've no way of definatly proving its the receiver to Pioneer.

I'm very happy with the XE-1 in all other respects - its a marvelous piece of hardware in general. I'm also very happy with the performance of the SC-LX81. So I'm content to just send LPCM from the XE-1 to the SC-LX81 for the affected HD-DVDs.

Thanks again for all your time taking the screen shots & for providing your feedback.

All the best!

5. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Interesting... I was gonna get a Pioneer LX81 amp to go with my LX91 bluray and Toshiba XE1 HD player.

Are all owners of BOTH the Toshiba XE1 and Pioneer LX81 having this compatibility issue then? :confused:

6. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I have spoken and emailed the guys at Pioneer about this today and they said that they would atleast pass it onto the "powers-that-be". Hopefully, the many people suffering this issue will see it rectified soon. It can't be hard... a firmware update maybe? :confused:

Also, can we draw up a list of the effected discs people have so far?

For example:
    "THE THING" UK HD-DVD
    "CHILDREN OF MEN" US HD-DVD

Please be sure to stress which country the HD-DVD comes from (UK, US) and which audio tracks are exhibiting the problem (Dolby TruHD, DD5.1 etc).

Thanks for your help. Pioneer ARE taking this seriously, so here is your chance to try and remedy this "quirk". Thanks! :thumbsup:

7. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Does anyone know if the Pioneer LX90 SUSANO amp suffers from the Toshiba XE1 drop-out problem??? :confused: :lease:

8. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Anyone? :confused: