LX608D Ex Demo or wait for LX609D

Greggles

Hi, I have been offered an extremely good deal on an ex demo LX608D (I'm not saying where unless someone beats me to it). It appears to be in immaculate condition with no marks or dead pixels. My only concern is that it is (apparently) about 6 months old and is left on more or less constantly during shop hours. I couldn't fault the picture though.

I have heard that the LX609D will have 5 times the dynamic contrast ratio of the current model and many other improvements across the board (although frankly I am dubious that I will see much of an improvement). It is also reported to be cheaper.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I should point out that I currently using an ancient (but good) 504HDE plasma which, if it wasn't for lack of 1080p compatibility, I would probably stay with until it died!

ARNOLD AKIEN

Hi, I have been offered an extremely good deal on an ex demo LX608D (I'm not saying where unless someone beats me to it). It appears to be in immaculate condition with no marks or dead pixels. My only concern is that it is (apparently) about 6 months old and is left on more or less constantly during shop hours. I couldn't fault the picture though.

I have heard that the LX609D will have 5 times the dynamic contrast ratio of the current model and many other improvements across the board (although frankly I am dubious that I will see much of an improvement). It is also reported to be cheaper.

I should point out that I currently using an ancient (but good) 504HDE plasma which, if it wasn't for lack of 1080p compatibility, I would probably stay with until it died!

If the ' extremely good deal ' were for not too much over £2000, included stand or wall mount, and came with the manufacturers warranty then I'd say that its worth the risk otherwise I'd be very wary of ex show room models.

Greggles

It's actually slightly under £2,000 (I said it was a good deal) with a full warranty. I decided to go for it at the weekend but was told that I couldn't have it until the new TVs arrived - boo hoo. I put a small deposit down to reserve it. The dealer said I could use it towards the 609/ get a refund if I change my mind.

Tony Lazzerini

You will be able to see the improvement from an 8G to a 9G quite easily, especially in the black levels.

Compared to your 504 you will be blown away.

Tony

Greggles

Hi Squarefish,

Having previously told the shop that I know longer wanted the 608 as I was waiting for the 609, I thought I would ring them to make sure the offer was still available. They told me that it was now in another branch. When I rang the branch in question, they said that they had sold it!

One of the reasons I decided to hang on for the 609 was the fact that the 608 would not be available for me to buy until the newer model arrived. I must admit to being slightly aggrieved that they seem to have changed their mind. I suspect for more money.

Don't get me wrong, both branches were very apologetic and I will (probably) be getting the 609 from them when it comes out!

birdseed

just to add my tuppence worth in....
I saw a demo a tlc of the 8 vs 9 series plasmas.
I think its easy to say this current years series is better than the previous. in fact Im sure people have said that since the 434 was around. When i bought my 436, i bought it not being completely happy with the blacks. Ive seen every years since and although better, they never made me want to reach into my pocket. Until now.

This years one is truly stunning. I can see the difference and its the frst year that i wouldnt feel Ive compromised on the blacks vs a crt. I will be having one.

£2000 for a 608 would tempt me and if it was a 509 or a 608, I would have to think very very seriously. As Im only 12ft away from the set, and i like scifi films i think the 509 would have one.

Someone got a bargain, and Im sure theyre happy, but i think youll be happier with the 609.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom