Lx5090. Taken the plunge!!

garylloyd

Established Member
Reaction score
Ordered at Lx5090 yesterday, arrived this morning.
Now wishing the time away so I can go home and get playing.
I am upgrading from a 32" Loewe Acconda, so I imagine the size will take some getting use to.
The only worry is how my toshiba 900e dvd player will look.
Off on holiday soon, the plan is to order a Oppo blu ray when i get back.
I looked a buying a Krp around May time but my job started looking unsafe.
Fingers crossed the LX is everything that I hope it is.
Gary

hi there brilliant choice you've made there m8 :smashin:

if you have no idea where to start from pls check this link and key-in your settings as suggested and those settings are by far nearly calibration level settings.

Pioneer Plasma's Settings and Information

tweak/alter your own setting base on your viewing condition and enviro once you're getting familiar with the preset and configuration available.

and as per suggested on the original pio 9g thread, do mix your viewing content from time to time until burn-in period is over (that would be around 200 hrs mark)

hope this might help and enjoy your new toy :thumbsup:

bring it along to amsterdam maybe? :devil:

Depends on what the place is like.. I'm looking forward to the bars and restaraunts etc. It's been ages since I've lived in a big city and Amsterdam is great. Hope I wont need a telly. Damn, I'm trying to convince myself. I'm going to miss it. Tears rolling freely :D

Oh, crikey, I'm splitting my infinitives now too. Ah well, if it's OK for James T Kirk..

If I do get the gig, I'll certainly be "going boldly"

hope you're gonna like your new place and yes you'll definitely gonna miss 'him' :D

Excellent timing for your gig - what with the Exchange Rate - in effect makes your screen cheaper....if you get my jist.

Thanks Siohcain,

Spent last night unpacking and setting up.
So far very happy.
Sd Dvd looks fair better than I feared.
G

Welcome m8!

I too took the plunge (in July) after long and careful reviewing and thinking; bought my 5090 for £ 1950 when the missus was away on a trip :devil: :D.

I'm so content with the TV (and the LX-71 I also got then at the bargain price of £ 390) and happy I made the move before these jewels became extinct. Friends visiting just stare and drool when I give them "the black treatment", be it freeview, DVD or BD.

I too have taken the plunge. It took a bit of haggling, but I've struck a deal with Sound and Vision for a 5090 with stand, speakers, Pioneer 5 year warranty and free delivery for £2180. There's a 4 to 6 week wait, but that doesn't bother me.

This will replace my venerable and ancient CRT Panasonic TX-32PF10 (circa 2000) which I presently rent. The price of which is, what was at the time, a premium for this model of set, so it'll save me a significant monthly sum.

I did originally think of going for one of the cheaper Panasonic plasmas like the S10 or G10. But I wasn't particularly impressed with the picture quality in store (not that they are ever set up well anyway). I've been put off slightly by all the talk of the processing artefacts that Panasonics can exhibit. Also most of my material is SD and I have come to understand that the 5090 handles SD very nicely.

My only HD source for now is blu-ray having, as I do, a Panny BD55. I've been playing that on a 32inch Panasonic LCD in the bedroom. But I'd like to get the blu-ray player into the living room and play it on a display that can really show what HD can do.

So having a small windfall (which should really be getting spent on other things), I decided that I should think long term and try to pick up of one of the last of these legendary Kuros of which people speak in hushed tones and general awe.

Last edited:
Sorry if I am going over old ground, but what is this buzzing all about then?
Now I have noticed it, eerrrrrrr.
Cheers
Gary

Sorry if I am going over old ground, but what is this buzzing all about then?
Now I have noticed it, eerrrrrrr.
Cheers
Gary

I suspect that they all do it. Mine certainly does and I find it very distracting. Some people say they cannot hear it - perhaps they have larger living spaces and viewing distances. My room is 10ft x 12ft and my viewing distance 7-8ft. The buzzing is very loud.

I have to put mine into power save mode 2. It doesn't cure it but makes it less noticeable due to the fact that the frequency of the buzz changes. Using this mode does darken the picture a little and others report an increase in PWM noise which I think is the general 'fizziness' (sorry about the poor PWM description :rolleyes:)

Great TV, love it!

I still think it looks like I got the best deal on the forum @ £1600 including stand and speakers with 5yr warranty from JL's!

Hi Cooney,

I have tried all the power save options.
My next stop is to give Pioneer a call, I find it hard to believe anyone can find it acceptable.
Gary

The same power save mode compromise wasn't acceptable to me either. I returned the TV, even though I paid the same as Sy1441. ;)

Hi Cooney,

My next stop is to give Pioneer a call, I find it hard to believe anyone can find it acceptable.
Gary
Will you let us know How you get on with Pioneer over the buzzing, It drove me nut's for the first month. I wallmounted it a foot above headheight and this was my solution at the time as the panel buzz was loudest from the centre of the panel. I'm in the middle of decorating so it's off the wall at the moment, Im sitting about 7 feet from the tv and I barely notice it. I think I've simply tuned it out or maybe I'm going deaf:rolleyes:. Be aware pioneer mention panel buzz in the manual . Iv'e read somewhere it's down to the single glass panel construction on the Kuro

Last edited:
Read all I could find on kuro buzzing problems.

1.Noise may die down after 50 hours or so. Only time will tell.
2.Some people are reporting silence until 6 inches away.

Called Pioneer. I need to call back with the serial number and they will send some one out to have a listen. I offered to take SPL Readings etc.

Fingers crossed it can be fixed.

My buzz is constant, even with no picture. I first noticed it when changing over to input 2.

If this was any other piece of equipment, ie sub, power amp, etc. No way would this noise be tolerated. Are people putting up with it because of the picture performance?

To be continued.......

Going home now to try drive mode 2.

Thanks for all the input.
Gary

Hi Cooney,

Gary

Hi garylloyd,
Good luck with Pioneer! As Siochain states, the manual mentions buzzing. TLC and many other retailers stated prior to me purchasing, that buzzing would not be deemed a fault.
I am actually on my 3rd 5090 and all had the same problem. Pioneer, or rather their agents, sent someone out to look at a freeview problem I had. I mentioned the buzzing to them - one of them claimed not to be able to hear it and the other said it was normal.

I can stand anywhere in my room or even lie on the floor and I still hear it just the same - and that's in power save mode 2!

Personally I like all other aspects of this set and so am very reluctantly putting up with the buzz.

The buzz does not improve as the hours rack up. Mine must have about 300 hours by now and the buzz is still relentless.

Good luck and please keep us all posted!

Pioneer themselves are so far very helpful, my details are now with a agent how should give me a call tommrow.

The good news is that the buzzing seems to be getting a lower tone, making it far less noticable.
My set has done a couple of hours so far, I am kidding myself it will get better over time.

I tried drive mode 2. I am getting depressed with picking fault and then listening for changes. It may have made a small difference or it could be wishful thinking.

I will play again tommrow with a clear head.

The other thing I tried was changing the power cable.At the moment I am using the stock cable plugged in to a belkin pure av block at the highest filter level. It tried using a Russ Andrews reference cord plugged in to a cheap extension because it was too short otherwise.

This with out a doubt lowered the noise, when I first switch the set on the buzz was lowered a fair amount. This when it sounds the worse.

The gym is calling, time to work out some frustration.
Gary

Keep your own experinces coming.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom