LX5090 or LX5090H

Flyman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I got a chance to pick up either of these today!
Not sure which to go with can anyone offer any advice as to which would be better?

If there's not much price difference, I'd have the H with its better features.

The H brings it close to a KRP so unless you are really tight on budget I would say the H too.

Its £100 more expensive with a long drive to collect :rolleyes:
You might have done better to mention that originally...

The H offers you a satellite tuner which can receive BBC HD, DLNA media, cleverer USB stuff too.

Depends if you want the extra features like satellite TV etc.

I have a 5090 and also a Humax Freesat HD PVR.

I find the freesat SD images look very soft via the PVR and maybe a 5090H with satellite capability will do a better job with freesat SD than a 5090+PVR?

Freesat HD from the PVR looks possibly a little oversharpened by comparison.

I went for the 5090 + PVR because I wanted to be able to record stuff in HD. (like the FA Cup final :D )

Depends if you want the extra features like satellite TV etc.

I have a 5090 and also a Humax Freesat HD PVR.

I find the freesat SD images look very soft via the PVR and maybe a 5090H with satellite capability will do a better job with freesat SD than a 5090+PVR?

Freesat HD from the PVR looks possibly a little oversharpened by comparison.

I went for the 5090 + PVR because I wanted to be able to record stuff in HD. (like the FA Cup final :D )

You're really not happy with your Pioneer are you?
Every post I've seen from you is about negative points you perceive.
I wonder why you haven't sent it back yet.

You're really not happy with your Pioneer are you?
Every post I've seen from you is about negative points you perceive.
I wonder why you haven't sent it back yet.

Why don't you read the post again, and you will see my criticism was of the soft SD image from the Humax PVR.

But thanks for your input :)

Hi Everyone,

I got a chance to pick up either of these today!
Not sure which to go with can anyone offer any advice as to which would be better?

Hi!

I thought we sent through this in detail already(?)!!!! The H has far more features as per the detailed info I sent you and you wanted DLNA etc? What is causing you to have doubts? Once again, here are the differences between the two:

The "5090H" is exactly the same as the KRP-500A in all its features and functions apart from Pure Mode, which it doesn't have. Apart from this the benefits are the same!

Features/Functions the 5090H has over the standard 5090 are:

+ DLNA Certified For Networking
+ Enhanced Optimum Mode
+ New Concept GUI
+ Electronic Programme Guide
+ New Intelligent Mode
+ DVB-S Integrated Satellite Tuner (5000 Pre-set Channel)
+ DVB-S2 Integrated Satellite Tuner (5000 Pre-set Channel)
+ MPEG2 MP@HL and MPEG4 AVC Video Decoding
+ Dolby Digital Plus and HE-AAC v1 Audio Decoding
+ 2 x CI Slot For Satellite
+ 1 x Ethernet Socket
+ 2 x Antenna Terminals
+ 0.4kg weight
+ 18 watts power usage in use (no addition in standby mode)

- Polish language

The Menu system is exactly the same as the KRP500A and is much more stylish and slicker than the standard 5090 and also has a picture preview window that comes up when navigating or using the EPG which again the 5090 doesn't have and many 5090 owners complain about. It's basically a KRP-500A in a 5090 shell!

Another "H" owners view:

"If you got the 5090H for the same price as the 5090 or at £100-£200 more, than you should be over the moon, cause you got the all in one model that really completes the package in every aspect."

You have had a tough time tracking one down and they are not that easy to find as you now know so I would make up your mind real quick if I were you!

Suave!

Well guys thank you for the input here.
Obviously the general consensus here is that the H version is the one to go for. However, it seems that I've been a bit too hasty as I've just ordered a 5090 with the undermounted speaker and swivel stand at a pretty good price too! Pehaps I should have waited for the posts? :suicide:

Well this is my first venture into HD/Plasma/FlatScreen TV's so I hope I wont be dissapointed? :rolleyes:

Thanks again everyone

Hi!

I thought we sent through this in detail already(?)!!!! The H has far more features as per the detailed info I sent you and you wanted DLNA etc? What is causing you to have doubts? Once again, here are the differences between the two:

Suave!

Somewhat unrelated, sorry OP.

Fair to say that except for the other features (which are cool), the picture on the 5090 and 5090H would be the same, assuming they're both ISF'd where the optimum modes etc become less relevant?

I'm not knocking the extra features! Not at all. Just I have Apple TV etc so a lot of the networking stuff isn't my main concern.

Cheers.
Stuart

Hi!

The "5090H" is exactly the same as the KRP-500A in all its features and functions apart from Pure Mode, which it doesn't have. Apart from this the benefits are the same!

+ Enhanced Optimum Mode
+ New Concept GUI
+ New Intelligent Mode
+ 1 x Ethernet Socket
+ 2 x Antenna Terminals
+ 0.4kg weight

- Polish language

The Menu system is exactly the same as the KRP500A and is much more stylish and slicker than the standard 5090 and also has a picture preview window that comes up when navigating or using the EPG which again the 5090 doesn't have and many 5090 owners complain about. It's basically a KRP-500A in a 5090 shell!

Another "H" owners view:

"If you got the 5090H for the same price as the 5090 or at £100-£200 more, than you should be over the moon, cause you got the all in one model that really completes the package in every aspect."

You have had a tough time tracking one down and they are not that easy to find as you now know so I would make up your mind real quick if I were you!

Suave!

Hi Suave,

I gave it some thought and I decided that it was only the DNLA/Ethernet connectivity that really appealed to me about the 5090H. Not really bothered about the inbuilt Freesat tuner as I alreday have Sky and I'll just buy a new Freesat tuner as and when I ditch the Sky package. Also given that the PQ between the 2 are the same I decided not to spend an extra £200-300 and 5hrs driving for the extra's.

I discovered from Pioneer today, they're releasing 3 new Blu-ray players that have ethernet and DNLA built so I'll buy one these which will enable streaming of photos to the TV.

I really hope I've made the right decision and its not something I'll later regret but I guess time will tell? :rolleyes:

Many thanks for your help.

Somewhat unrelated, sorry OP.

Fair to say that except for the other features (which are cool), the picture on the 5090 and 5090H would be the same, assuming they're both ISF'd where the optimum modes etc become less relevant?

I'm not knocking the extra features! Not at all. Just I have Apple TV etc so a lot of the networking stuff isn't my main concern.

Cheers.
Stuart

Hi,

No probs, it's just that the OP wanted the DLNA feature (all the others are bonuses!) and the H version offers that over the non-H version! I guess another way of looking at it is asking (almost nearly) would one prefer a standard 5090 or a KRP-500A in a 5090 body!

Suave!

Hi Suave,

I gave it some thought and I decided that it was only the DNLA/Ethernet connectivity that really appealed to me about the 5090H. Not really bothered about the inbuilt Freesat tuner as I alreday have Sky and I'll just buy a new Freesat tuner as and when I ditch the Sky package. Also given that the PQ between the 2 are the same I decided not to spend an extra £200-300 and 5hrs driving for the extra's.

I discovered from Pioneer today, they're releasing 3 new Blu-ray players that have ethernet and DNLA built so I'll buy one these which will enable streaming of photos to the TV.

I really hope I've made the right decision and its not something I'll later regret but I guess time will tell? :rolleyes:

Many thanks for your help.

Hi,

No probs!! Congrats on your fine purchase - now stop worrying and enjoy your fantastic TV! Great news about the new Pioneer Blu-ray players - I wonder if they will have their own version of internet TV/Widgets or VieraCast?

Remember what I told you about spending silly money on fancy stands!

Suave!

I finally descided to go for it. This TV was actually above my budget but it's such an incredible machine and I thought it was so much better in picture quality than the Panasonic V10 I was looking at, that I just closed my eyes and paid the huge bill. Tommorrow my Pio lx5090h will be delivered. Guess I won't sleep tonight. I am thankfull to all the people on this forum cause you where the main reason that convinced me to go with the Pioneer! Tnx!

Hi qwds4ty23ghzx,

You wont regret it for second. The 6090 is the best thing I've ever bought.

Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten:)

They are beautiful bits of kit and wont be beaten for some time methinks..

I finally decided to go for it. This TV was actually above my budget...
Ditto. I think I go for the Kuro 5090 as well (after consideration of Samsung B850 but its buzzing + IR issue hold me back). The V10 is not my cup of tee, and in the LCD world I am interested in only the Phillips 9704 or the Samsung B8500. The Samy probably will not be in Europe in that year. so basically the Kuro5090 goes against the Philips 9704.

I have a question for you guys.

I have a good offer for the 5090 (not H): 5090+Stand + 36 Month Bring-In Warranty = 2000 Euro.

The best offer what I could find for 5090H: 5090H + 24 Month Bring-In Warranty = 2500 Euro (without Stand)

I will have a HTPC directly connected to the TV via HDMI, so I do not need the extra.

So the questions:
1) The PQ is the same in both 5090 and 5090H? (Is there any difference between these two?)
2) What is the advantage of having a 5090H versus 5090 + HTPC?
3) The 5090 is out of my budget, but I am ready to stretch it to 2000 Euros where the 5090 is sold at. Which offer should I take: 5090 or 5090H?

Thanks in advance.
Any help is highly appreciated.]

+ Enhanced Optimum Mode
+ New Concept GUI
+ New Intelligent Mode
+ 1 x Ethernet Socket
+ 2 x Antenna Terminals
+ 0.4kg weight
+ Zelfde (eenvoudigere) menu als de KRP500

Please decide to go for the Pio like I finally did. I am enjoying it so much I can hardly describe it. It's like watching a piece of art with every new image on your screen. Truly breathtaking! Just got it last week and already watched several movies on it but didn't get the story with either one of them just cause the PQ was so amazing and I kept looking at al the details.

I bought the LX5090H for 2200 euro with 36months guarantee and free wallmount. But 2000 euro for the LX5090 seems like a pretty good deal too me.

Let me know what you decided.

+ Enhanced Optimum Mode
+ New Concept GUI
+ New Intelligent Mode
+ 1 x Ethernet Socket
+ 2 x Antenna Terminals
+ 0.4kg weight
+ Zelfde (eenvoudigere) menu als de KRP500

Thanks the fast reply. I have seen that post but going through it again, I can not see major drawbacks not having these features on the 5090 because:
1) DLNA+Ethernet+Audio+Video Decoding ---> HTPC
2) CI, antenna socket ---> do not use them
3) EPG: That can be handy but absolute not a deal-breaker.
4) DVB-S/S2: I do not really watch SD, my main purpose is to watch HD content from my NAS, and use the TV for surfing/gaming with the attached HTPC.
5) Different GUI: For me does not mean a lot to have a fancy or standard GUI on the TV as far as there is no other option in it, like:
5) OM, PM: That is the point and this is the question in my previous post as well:

Is there any PQ difference in the the 5090 and 5090H or not becasue then I would go dor the 5090 option.

Last edited:
No pq difference at all, if you won't use the above options - then the H models extra money is just a waste of money for you. My opinion and also what i did, save a few quid and get the 5090. :smashin:

You're right the is no difference in PQ. Both are really great TV's!

OK. Thanks the info. Then I have to ask my final offer from my dealer and ready to go for the 5090! :)

Thanks the info and the help guys.

let us know if you get it, they're excellent sets

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom