• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

LX-5090 & Sky+HD Picture Settings

NealBennett

Standard Member
What is the general opinion on the best Sky+HD resolution setting with the 5090 on both SD and HD broadcasts?

I used to have the resolution set manually on the box as 1080i.

I have read a few posts that say that changing this to Automatic is better? If I select this setting, the TV sets a resolution on SD broadcasts as 575p.

This produces a slightly larger picture in terms of a lower resolution, (larger sky menu being displayed for example) compared to manually setting to 1080i on the Sky box. Gives the feeling I am seeing more picture due to the higher resolution.

What are peoples recommendations on this?

Cheers

Neal.

Berties

Banned
If things are "bigger" than you're zooming in which means you're seeing less plus resolution is lower. Zoom into a jpeg picture and that's the same principle.

I'd use full or dot by dot mode.

NealBennett

Standard Member
Hi Berties

I have the 1080i mode set to full with dot by dot enabled.

When the TV switches over to 575p (when Sky box is set to auto) it is set to Full. If the Sky box is set manually to 1080i the screen displays 1080i all the time.

That was the reason for my question really, do most people allow the Sky box to feed the TV a constant 1080i signal, or allow the TV to do the work?

Neal.

Berties

Banned
I'd probably set the sky box to 1080i, otherwise if you set standard def out, sky box is downscaling HD to SD, then the TV is scaling that back up to 1920x1080.

Since it's interlaced you've probably got some de-interlacing options somewhere in the TV picture settings, think called something I/P?

bladedripper

Distinguished Member
I have the sky box at 1080i all the time,i find itsthe best allrounder.:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom