1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Luxman L510 out Accuphase E205 in!?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by heavenly93, Oct 28, 2005.

1. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Luxman L510 out Accuphase E205 in

I'm on the verge of replacing my 1985 vintage Luxman L510 for another integrated amp. Currently I'm looking at a Accuphase E205. I have owned the Luxman L510 for 20 years or so. On and off I have used other amps, the Lux has been defect twice in al that time and I slid in replacements. Marantz PM80, Onyko Integra, Luxman L525 where those 'temporary' replacements.

I know both the L510 and the E205 gear items are old, but they come with a almost legendary status. Considering I'm on a tight budget considering new or more recent amp's is no real option.

Right now h'm not 100% sure the Accuphase will be an upgrade for the Luxman, and that's where I hope some advice & ideas could come from forum members.

What I did find in old test rapports is that the Accuphase E205 was a clear winner when matched with Luxman L-525 / Marantz PM-94 / Revox B251.

I remember my Marantz PM80 very well and loved the sound, it just did not have enough 'power' to really drive my B&W DM640i's well. The Luxman L525 is a powerful amp and I still have it, but when it comes to a sweetness and quality of enjoyment The somewhat younger and more expensive L525 is no match for the L510.

Before I take the plunge, does anyone have experience with the Accuphase!?
    Did you have a L510 and what (budget/old high end) amp's are around that clearly beat the Lux?

Love to hear any thoughts...

2. heavenly93

heavenly93

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I figured this would not get me much response. Not to many people into 15, 20 year old amps!?
    Maybe my question should have been what second hand high end amps would you be looking at if you had like 400 euros to spend?