Lutron RA2 Lighting - House Renovation

jp2020

Novice Member
I have just completed on a house and I have the exciting yet daunting task of a full house renovation.

The house hasn't been touched in 30 years so it will be a full gutting and redo with new wiring, plumbing and all. I want to take the opportunity to try and make it a smart home and one area I have been looking at is lighting.

I have read about the Lutron RA2 system which has peaked my interest. I know its a pricier option and more for a retrofit solution but I like the flexibility and apparent reliability. I have read on other threads if I were to bulk order I may be able to get some discount so that may help take some of the sting out of the cost. Im probably looking at around 20-25 circuits and picos.

I wanted to know others experiences using the system after a bit of time. Is it still reliable or have you experienced any issues?

Now the other big question is what I do with the wiring of the house. Obviously the pico controllers are wireless so I wouldn't need light switches thus saving me some money on electrician costs (ie chasing in the walls). It's a big commitment to make especially if they dont work very well! What would you guys do? We're looking to stay at the house longer term so not too concerned about what potential future buyers would think.

Any other recommendations for smart lighting?

Thanks

rslewis

Standard Member
If you're doing a whole house renovation you should also look at at a Loxone system. Very flexible and adaptable and will do all of your heating, lighting, security, shading, multi-room audio etc.

Don't be put off by people telling you it'll cost you £15-£20k for Loxone, you can install a system yourself for much less. I have helped a lot of people to DIY a Loxone install at much less cost, especially if you're reasonable handy yourself and have a decent electrician.

PM me if you want more details on Loxone.

Happy to help.

jp2020

Novice Member
If you're doing a whole house renovation you should also look at at a Loxone system. Very flexible and adaptable and will do all of your heating, lighting, security, shading, multi-room audio etc.

Don't be put off by people telling you it'll cost you £15-£20k for Loxone, you can install a system yourself for much less. I have helped a lot of people to DIY a Loxone install at much less cost, especially if you're reasonable handy yourself and have a decent electrician.

PM me if you want more details on Loxone.

Happy to help.

Thanks! I'll take a look at this.

shahedz

Distinguished Member
I have had Ra2 for over around 18 months. Really, really simple to install and set up scenes etc. A big fan for simplicity , integrates with Apple Home Kit etc.

My only criticism is that it's expensive.

Beyond that actually is a really good system . Has been 100% reliable. No downtime , or resetting etc required.

I have a thread somewhere here about it. Lutron Support is really good .

One thing I have found is I bought a load of keypads which I dont use. As once you set up scenes you don't really need them.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom