Luther

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to create another thread on this show but the existing ones are old and I didn't want to resurrect them.
Anyway this show has been recommended to me by numerous people so I thought i'd give it a go. I watched the first episode on-demand from Sky and I must say I was quite disappointed with a lot of things about the show. The production looked cheap, the acting was poor (apart from Idris) and the story line was stupid. Does it get any better?

Oh yes stick with it imho but at the same time if its not your thing then don't :)

i loved it pretty much off the bat, so i guess the answer would be yes from me

Its recommended and rated for a reason ;)

I would never give up after just 1 episode.

It may not be your cup of tea but imo its a great series universally loved and one of the best BBC has put out for a while.

without giving away spoilers, is each episode stand alone or is there one big overarching storyline through the whole series?

There are ongoing story lines, some of which only last longer than one season, others much shorter.

It's a shame the Sky on demand is such low quality as when it was shown on the BBC it looked and sounded great.

It's worth sticking with for at least three episodes.

Sorry to create another thread on this show but the existing ones are old and I didn't want to resurrect them.
Anyway this show has been recommended to me by numerous people so I thought i'd give it a go. I watched the first episode on-demand from Sky and I must say I was quite disappointed with a lot of things about the show. The production looked cheap, the acting was poor (apart from Idris) and the story line was stupid. Does it get any better?

Did you persevere with Luther then? As last night I watched the first episode, which I'd recorded from Alibi HD, and was unimpressed like yourself. It felt rather like an ITV crime drama from the 1990s with the hackneyed cop show stereotypes typical of that era.

Will give it a couple more episodes to see if it grows on me, looks to have almost as many detractors as fans judging by the first couple of pages on main Luther thread!

Watched the first two seasons on Netflix and enjoyed it.

Great show, great actor. But about as realistic as 24...

I am not a fan of British drama but I love Luther and have seen all three series a few times now.

Luther is a great series, have only seen the first two series though due to Lovefilms complete incapability to send me series 3, have had it on my list for nearly a year and still don't have it!!

Series 3 is available on Netflix, US Region I believe

i love Netflix, but, it needs to sort out there streaming. i watch Luther in the UK first, buy it in the Uk first, i can stream it last??!?

Great show, great actor. But about as realistic as 24...

Guess that's where I went wrong, as I'm so used to Idris Elba being Stringer Bell in The Wire that I was expecting this to be a realistic crime drama.

However Luther is very far-fetched and seems more akin to the likes of The Shield, Braquo and Justified. Although the plot to episode 2, which I watched last night, did somewhat remind me of 24:LAD now you mention it!

Will give Luther a couple more episodes to see if it grows on me, although the show might just be a bit too melodramatic for my tastes like how Sons Of Anarchy has become.

Luther is a great series, have only seen the first two series though due to Lovefilms complete incapability to send me series 3, have had it on my list for nearly a year and still don't have it!!

FYI: season 3 is being shown on Alibi, starting on 28th July at 10pm.

Luther | Alibi Channel

Will find out soon whether the TiVo series link still works.

Guess that's where I went wrong, as I'm so used to Idris Elba being Stringer Bell in The Wire that I was expecting this to be a realistic crime drama.

However Luther is very far-fetched and seems more akin to the likes of The Shield, Braquo and Justified. Although the plot to episode 2, which I watched last night, did somewhat remind me of 24:LAD now you mention it!

Will give Luther a couple more episodes to see if it grows on me, although the show might just be a bit too melodramatic for my tastes like how Sons Of Anarchy has become.

FYI: season 3 is being shown on Alibi, starting on 28th July at 10pm.

Luther | Alibi Channel

Will find out soon whether the TiVo series link still works.

watch the first 3 minutes of season 3 you're realise just how far fetched it is

However Luther is very far-fetched and seems more akin to the likes of The Shield,
I recently listened to a Radio programme about the murder of Daniel Morgan and the Mets involvement in the cover up. They spoke to former police officers who admitted belonging to a corrupt group of officers working within the met. If I had tuned into the programme at that moment I wouldn't have been blamed for thinking they were discussing an episode of the The Shield.

BBC Radio 4 - The Report, The Unsolved Murder of Daniel Morgan

The thing is with Luther it is meant to be far fetched it is trying to be a graphic novel in televisual form. As soon as you accept this then the show becomes more enjoyable.

Did you persevere with Luther then? As last night I watched the first episode, which I'd recorded from Alibi HD, and was unimpressed like yourself. It felt rather like an ITV crime drama from the 1990s with the hackneyed cop show stereotypes typical of that era.

Will give it a couple more episodes to see if it grows on me, looks to have almost as many detractors as fans judging by the first couple of pages on main Luther thread!
No I didn't bother. I started watching Banshee and Ray Donovan, both of which i'm enjoying at the moment.

No I didn't bother. I started watching Banshee and Ray Donovan, both of which i'm enjoying at the moment.

Both are my fav new shows of last year. :smashin:

The thing is with Luther it is meant to be far fetched it is trying to be a graphic novel in televisual form. As soon as you accept this then the show becomes more enjoyable.

I took this into consideration whilst watching the final 3 episodes of season 1 but I still found the show to be as underwhelming as 24: Live Another Day.

Guess it doesn't help that the previous 2 crime dramas I watched were Hannibal and True Detective which Luther can't compete with on production values or the calibre of the cast, aside from Idris Elba and Ruth Wilson the performances from many of the other actors wouldn't have seemed out of place on The Bill imho.

I've got seasons 2 and 3 stored on the TiVo so will perhaps dip into them when there's nowt better to watch.

Both of those are excellent but don't give up on old Luther, my girlfriend still has nightmares about that show ;)

[QUOMarshall Mike, post: 21051596, member: 693248"]Both of those are excellent but don't give up on old Luther, my girlfriend still has nightmares about that show ;)[/QUOTE]
Too Late already deleted from hard drive

Both of those are excellent but don't give up on old Luther, my girlfriend still has nightmares about that show ;)
I have to check under the bed a few times and am wary of going into the loft because of Luther.

I have to check under the bed a few times and am wary of going into the loft because of Luther.

The suspense when she was dangling her legs on the bed was something else!

Watching this for the first time since season 3 ended and it's just as good a viewing as the first time!
Has there been any further news on a potential season 4 or a feature film to end the series?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom