1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lumix DMC-FZ5

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Geordie Jester, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Anyone had their hands on this new Panasonic jobby ? Seems to be a really good buy. Cheaper than the Fz20 but with extremely close results on dpreview.

I still use a manual film SLR and an old digital that doesnt have features I need. I want to avoid a digital SLR and get a more compact camera that produces good results.

The zoom and image quality (and now price) would seem to make it a great choice.

2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    It does look great. I've got the FZ-3 and it's almost perfect (but no cam would ever be).

Mike.

3. kiebler

kiebler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its a lovely camera. i sold one today within 15 mins of being on display. v.popular. jessops price is £399.99 but dont be put off bcos i price matched it for him at £290

4. Emm

Emm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Got one in black yesterday (company purchase for use at work).

All I can say is it's fantastic - you won't regret it. The dpreview seem to rate it.

Slightly off topic - for kiebler:

Will Jessops price match this at pixmania.com - £282 inc VAT (and two year guarantee?)

5. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yeah it looks to be a cracker - I have the FZ3 which is marvellous but the FZ5 seems even better. I don't think I can justify upgrading though so i'll settle for the FZ3 for now :clap:

6. kiebler

kiebler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to emm. been away but i think £290 is the best with the one yr guarantee. personally through talking to customers pixmania is quite dodgy. but its up to you

7. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [Mod comment]

Keep posting chidlish insults that really shows your lack of knowledge and good manners and you wont get to see much posted.

8. Emm

Emm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply kieber.

As it so happens the camera purchased for work came from pixmania.

After placing the order, it came to light that the camera would not be one destined for the UK market. To be honest I felt a bit gutted.

Sure enough, the delivered item was European (French?) sourced; it came with a two pin power cord and no English instructions, though it was supplied with a two to three pin converter. Otherwise the camera appears to be identical to a UK sourced one (much to my relief).

I downloaded the PDF manual from Panasonic itself.

I can only speak as I find, and in this instance it was a straightforward internet purchase; no fuss - no bother (the accessories aren't that competitive pricewise though...).

The true test would be claiming on the two year guarantee offered, but I guess it would (should) be no more traumatic than any other internet purchase claim :confused:

If Jessops will price match companies such as pixmania, then all well and good. The only downside is that I was told (by Jessops) that the black model was very difficult to get hold of and they couldn't give any indication when stock would be available.....

Anyway, aside from the 'source' issues, this camera is fantastic.

I've had use of it for a few days now and I'm impressed.

It can be used as a 'point and press' camera ('Simple Mode'), use 'Scene' mode, ie portrait, scenery, panning, snow, party etc etc right through to fully manual adjustment (though focus can't be manually controlled). It really can be used by novice and expert alike. One really useful feature is the Image Stabilizer feature - this really does work and allows blur-free photos to be taken at full telephoto.

I'm hooked :thumbsup: