Lumgaen Vision DVI, Pioneer 435 XDE and Xbox 360

damo_in_sale

Hi chaps,

I originally had my 360 hooked up direct to the XDE via component. The image was way too dark however and I couldn't seem to correct it on the panel. I then tried VGA direct to the panel and the image was significantly brighter, but with poor colour saturation and image shearing.

So I decided to hook the 360 up to the Lumagen via component. Immediately it was obvious that the 360 was doing something 'weird' with its component output. It was impossibly to raise the blacks to a sufficient amount without introducing purple into dark areas, for some reason. Reducing the blacks so that the purple disappeared meant that the image was impossibly dark. Reducing the colour seemed to help a little but then the saturation was way too low. Reducing Pb to minimum seemed to help too but why?

Anyway, Gordon advised me to reset all Lumagen colour/contrast/black level to default, put up a 100% IRE from DVE and press menu 0966 to run an automatic input calibration. Lumagen output was set to video. The resulting image was way too bright and so I reduced the black to about 60 from memory, using the DVE test patterns with the Lumagen set to output 4:3 with black sidebars for reference.

I now have an amazing image, full of black detail and superb colour saturation. Chronicles of Riddick HD-WMV 720p trailer was previously impossible to see anything in dark regions or scenes, but now it is rich, vibrant and full of dark detail.

Sorry if this seems trivial to you chaps, but as an amateur this has been a revelation to me as to what a superb bit of kit this little Lumagen is, and how great support from Gordon was key to solving this issue.

Cheers chaps,

Damo

jont

Damo

Did you put the DVE disc in the xbox drive to calibrate the input ?

Jon

damo_in_sale

Yep. It reverts to 576p when you do this and I normally output 720p. It seems to have worked without issue though.

jont

I guess there a 100 IRE on the Avia disk ?

Would the same work for the sdi input from my DV27 ?

Jon

jont

Is that an advisory not to Gordon ? !! ... shame as it sounds like a neat feature !!

Jon

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom