• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Lumagen XD and Benq W6000

vadergr

Hi!

I own a very decent and well maintained Benq W6000 projector and plan to buy the Lumagen XD only for it.
I do not mind the lack of hd audio, because i will put the XD between the A/V receiver (marantz 7011) and the projector only for ISF calibration and "enhancing" the image. Obviously i will not use the XD for a switch as well.

My questions are the following, considering i do not plan to change the projector soon:

1) Is it worth it as far as image quality is concerned? My Benq will also get a new lamp and a cleaning service from a trusty ISF calibrator, so at least in theory i am as good s it gets. I get the XD on a low price so don't take that into account.
2) Aside from the excellent ISF options, are there enough image enhancing settings too? Only interested for playback of Blu-Ray backups. I am aware of its skillset in upscaling applications. I also own a HDFury Vertex. Should it matter?
3) Is it true that the XD model with the latest updates could support 3D framepacking if no sound was processed?

Thanks in advance.

vadergr

Well, i am a proud owner for almost 2 days now. It is the XD3D model.
I will calibrate (again) my projector soon, so i only checked the "enhance" settings.

I was told to insert 10/10/10 or 8/8/5 in the first three sharpness settings during BD playback. The image was indeed "better" to the eye.
My ISF calibrator will let me know the toll on image in terms of accuracy.

What i don't know is which settings are commonly tweaked during DVD and SD playback (480/576p) for better upscaling.
Can someone propose?

Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom