Lumagen Vs DVDO VP50

aandpwoodley

Distinguished Member
I have ordered a 65VT50 & I'm thinking about adding a Lumagen mini 3d or DVDO VP50 to give me the best calibration options.

As the DVDO is a fair bit cheaper will it do a similar job as the mini & allow a full calibration in the THX preset.

Many thanks.

Avi

Distinguished Member
As the DVDO is a fair bit cheaper will it do a similar job as the mini & allow a full calibration in the THX preset.

Many thanks

The VP50 is relatively limited in terms of calibration features compared to the Lumagen i.e. no CMS, fewer greyscale adjustment points etc. If your primary purpose of a VP is calibration the Lumagen is the better option IMO.

Avi

Anbjorn

Standard Member
I have the 65VT50, and have ordered the Lumagen Mini 3D with the Display 3Pro and Chromapure with auto calibrate.
Hopefully this combo will give me the best picture possible.
Anbjørn

Rickyj at Kalibrate

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I have ordered a 65VT50 & I'm thinking about adding a Lumagen mini 3d or DVDO VP50 to give me the best calibration options.

Many thanks

DVDo did release another unit after the VP50 that had more calibration controls, i.e. the DVDo Duo. This has it's positives, i.e. more HDMI inputs/outputs, but also has it's limitations when compared to the Lumagen mini, i.e. less calibration memories, and flexibility.

I have the 65VT50, and have ordered the Lumagen Mini 3D with the Display 3Pro and Chromapure with auto calibrate.
Hopefully this combo will give me the best picture possible.
Anbjørn

It will certainly point you heavily in the right direction, leaving you free to concentrate on fine tuning as required.

Some tips for you when setting up and using. The hardest bit is usually getting the computer to talk to the radiance, once set up, you should be good to go.

These ports settings might help with the communication:

RS232 control within the Lumagen (Menu, other, I/O setup, rs-232 Setup)
Echo On
Delimiters OFF
Report mode changes OFF

Within ChromaPureCom Port (as set in windows)
Baud Rate 9600
Parity None
Data Bits 8
Stop bits One

Also, recommended practice is to calibrate the 100% point in the display, as this will stop the radiance and ChromaPure clipping 100% inadvertently.

Make sure you save the options once you have run the auto cal, and it will save to the current engaged CMS.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom