1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lumagen VisionDVI - RGB Input?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rowlandhills, May 31, 2005.

1. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The VisionDVI is listed in some places as taking RGB input, but looking at the US website, it looks like it only takes DVI, component, s-video and composh*te.

Does the Vision DVI actually take RGB? If so, how?

Also, I think that I'd be better off taking the output from my TiVo direct into a VisionDVI separately from the output from my Linn Classik Movie Di, rather than looping through as I do at the moment. Anyone agree/disgree?

I'm trying to work out plans for my next upgrade, which will be a plasma, but I'm not sure which one and whether to add a scaler. Cheers.

2. kurtz

kurtz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I think page 7 pf the Lumagen manual explains it best. You can use the component inputs (inputs 3 and 4) to input RGB.
    If you have a separate sync signal (eg. RGB though a standard SCART has a separate sync) then you feed that into a composite input (inputs 5 and 6 respectively). You then program the lumagen through the menu to tell it how to interpret the input (i.e. as RGB rather than component).

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Running the two sources seperately would be the favoured option. This way you can precisely setup colour and grayscales to each device and you will also need a different amount of overscanning setup for each source.

4. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for that advice guys. One last question (for now!):

I can configure my Classik to output RGB or YPbPr through the SCART socket. Am I likely to get better quality by using the Lumagen to convert RGB to DVI or YPbPr to DVI?

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I think in all likliehood it will be down to the ability of the Linn with each output. Component is the form the data is stored on disc and frees up an extra composh*te input (for what its worth). But RGB runs a seperate sync and the conversion is lossless if done well.

However, if you got yourself a pair of scart to 4 RCA leads (one needed for the Sky box) whichever signal you use from the Linn to the DVI uses the same cable. So get the VisionDVI in, try with both, and see which you prefer on the day!!

6. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Ah. I hadn't realised that I'd be using the same cable for SCART-YPrPb or SCART-RGBs. Thanks for that. Any particular recommendations on make/model for that cable?

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
  8. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    We mostly use Van Damme Red. About £40-£50 for 1m iirc. Or Black Rhodium, £120 for 1m.

Make sure you get Scart-RGB+Sync cable (rather than just scart-RGB), the sync bit will not be required for YPbPr but will be for RGB...

9. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Fanastic. Thanks guys. Now I've just got to save up my pennies for the plasma and scaler, then work out exactly which plasma to get...oh, and move to the new house where the plasma will be!