1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lumagen vision v centerstage 2 SDIl

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by 008, May 10, 2003.

1. 008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Does anyone have experience with these scalers on CRT. These products both use the silicon images chip and therefore should be comparible however the cs 2 will take SDI . Which offers the best image on DVD with an 80" screen ?

2. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using a CS-2 with a sdi up grade board with a Sim2 SDG700 crt projector and a Pannasonic RP62 sdi dvd player. I must say I'm very pleased with the results, however I haven't yet seen the Lumagen so I can't really comment on a direct comparison.
    I would imagine the Lumagen isn't going to be too far apart on perrformance with the CS-2 as there both using the silicon image sil 504 chip, but the sdi option on the CS-2 may make the difference.

popeye

3. 008

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    popeye'
    what do you get from your set up over normal progressive ?.
    where did you get your cs 2 from ?
    regards....

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    Although both products use th esame de-interlacing chipset they use different video decoders and a to d's (the bit before de-interlacer) and they use different scaling solutions and d to a's (the bit after).

Using an sdi feed in will bring benefit of more detail (pretty sure about that). In standard use, those dealers I have been to see with Lumagen, have chosen to stock them in preference of alternatives. You will probably have to view to make up your own mind. Sorry I cannot comment further at is inapproriate.

Gordon

Gordon

5. X3ELS

X3ELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I am currently running a Lumagen on my 9 inch CRT and the picture is absolutely awesome. From memory i am running at 960p and the results are astounding.

I have seen the centrestage many times, and had it demonstrated to me many times, and have never been impressed. However i have not seen the '2'.

Buy a Lumagen, you won't be dissapointed.

6. popeye

popeye
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my CS-2 from Gordon at Convergent AV, who I'm happy to recommend. Gordon stocks both the Centerstage & Lumagen scalers. When I bought the CS-2 the Lumagen wasn't really an option, so I never considered it. It does sound like an excellent product and it got a glowing report in Widesreen review.

Going back to your original question how does the CS-2 with an sdi up-grade compare with a Lumagen. I can't obviously answer that when I haven't seen a Lumagen, however I can comment on what effect the sdi up-grade has had on my CS-2.

Last night I decided to do a direct comparion between two interlaced 480 signals going through the CS. For the purpose of the test I used a modded Panasonic RP62 dvd player with sdi out using a JVB unlimited sdi cable and a Sony DVP-S7700 with a Nordust Optix component video cable. I used two copies of A Kights Tale, region 1 dvd for the test material.

The rest of the equipment used was a Sim2 SDG700 crt projector with a Stewart film screen with Studio tek 130 material.

The Centerstage was set to 720p RGB, which is about the projectors sweet spot.

I ran the film on both machines together at first and switched between the sources. The sdi image was slightly sharper and held more detail. The biggest difference was in the colour fidelity. Colours were more accurately rendered via the Panasonic with flesh tones for instance being more convincing.

Upon pausing both players on the same scene frame the differences were clear to see.

In conclusion over all the sdi image was crisper holding more detail with vibrant natural colours.

Hope this helps

popeye
    :)

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    Popeye has hit nail on head with SDI v Component. Unfortunately there is no-one I know of who has ability to do the demo you are asking. Perhaps it'll happen at some point soon.

CS-2 is nice unit and was the best solution available for Popeye.

Cheers,

Gordon