Lumagen Vision HDQ

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by starcat, Mar 27, 2006.

1. starcat

starcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Does anyone know if the VisionHDQ will output HDCP compliant signal when the source is not HDCP capable, i.e. would a scenario like XCard/Holo3DII/HD-Aux board connected via DVI to the VisionHDQ work with a HDCP-compliant DVI input on a recent Panasonic plasma display?

Anyone already played with the VisionHDQ?

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    If theres no HDCP on the way in .. it will not add it.. afaik.The DVI inputs will take non HDCP signals..

Matt

3. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +942
    I doubt if many people anywhere have played with an HDQ yet, but it should behave and perform just like the VisionHDP and ProHDP. They have to apply HDCP encryption and switch off RGB/YPbPr outputs if the selected input from the source is encrypted. I'm not sure if the outputs will necessarily be clean if there's no HDCP on input, though. The manual says under Installation Commands - Output COnfiguration: "For DVI-D output, if the display is HDCP capable, HDCP is then always enabled."

However, the Vision can also disable it's own HDCP input capability when fed with a source that applies HDCP automatically. I think you wuld only want that if you have both analogue and digital video connections at the same time.

However, to clear a possible misunderstanding, I wouldn't describe an unencrypted output as either compliant or non-compliant. I suspect the real question lies with the display input.

An input that is HDCP compatible will receive and decode digital video input signals that are HDCP-encrypted by the source (whether that is a player, tuner, amplifier or processor). However, it will also be able to accept clean, unencrypted video, which I think is what you are asking about

If the display is HDCP capable, then it doesn't matter if the source or processor apply HDCP or not. But we could sure do with Gordon or someone to comment, as it doesn't appear to work as you might initially expect.

Nick

4. starcat

starcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I have heard that if one unit in the chain is HDCP that everything must be HDCP otherwise there may be no picture shown. Not sure, but isn't it possible that a HDCP-compatible display will just blank if the digital video stream is not marked HDCP (encrypted or not, but HDPC flagged)?

5. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    A display that "has" HDCP (i.e. is HDCP compliant) is compatible with both HDCP protected signals, and non-HDCP protected signals.

However a source media player or STB etc which has HDCP output will always be sending out HDCP (well just about always, but for purposes of example assume always).

So if you have a HDCP source, then anything in the chain must also support pass-thru or display of the HDCP signal.

If the source is NOT HDCP then it doesn't matter about the rest of the chain as the source has never asked the display for a HDCP handshake.

The Lumagen is fully compliant. If the source has HDCP, the Lumagen will pass it through insisting the display also support HDCP. If the display does not support it, then the Lumagen willl flash up an error message. This will be only for this HDCP source though, if you flick input on the Lumagen over to say an analogue cable input the requirement for HDCP is gone, therefore the display can show it.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    What Liam said....Send non HDCP DVI or HDMI to a Lumagen and it'll come out analogue and digital (with no HDCP)

Gordon