Lumagen Vision HDP or Vison DVI?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Arshad, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I have the Pioneer 434 plasma and am interested in the lumagen scaler.

Just can't make up my mind whether to buy HDP or Vision DVI.

1. I don't need HD deinterlacing, since i live in Hong Kong and HD might come in 2006 or maybe later by then i might be thinking of replacing my scaler. Besides i don't think the Pioneer can support 1080p.

2. I believe the HDP have the video processing of the Pro HDP but does that really matter considering it will only be used for SD. Will there be a huge difference in picture quality between Vision DVI and HDP?

3. I read somewhere that the Vision DVI only has DVI-D output that means it cannot be used as an analog output, does it have analog ouput? Maybe i will also try the analog out to the vga in of my plasma. As you know only the vga input on the plasma can be configured for 1:1 pixel mapping.

4. I have the broadband tv no matter what aspect ratio i use wide, cinema and fulll on the plasma the image still looks stretched. Can the lumagen fix this problem?

My only conern is that i can get a best picture quality and will be upscaling the image to 720p.

Cheers

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,166
    Arshad

Whilst The HDP has the greater 'potential' I find the DVI does a great job with the HDE PlasmaTV's.

You can order your DVI with Analogue outputs if you like - though with a 434HDE I wouldn't bother; the HD15 Input is not great with 'Video' signals at 1024x768; the picture tears too often to make the benefits of 'pixel mapping' worth the effort.

Set the VisionDVI to auto detect PAL and NTSC and automatically output 720P at 50Hz and 60Hz via the HDMI input and you'll be fine; I'd also look into having the system ISF calibrated if there are ISF registered technicians in your area.

Best regards

Joe

3. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe,

I was expecting you might see my post and give on some information, i know you have the Lumagen scalers and Iscan HD connected to the pinoeer 434.
    Do you see any difference in picture quality between the two? which one is better you think? If Iscan HD just performs as good as or even better then i would also consider the Iscan HD since it has the audio delay function. Alot of people buy Iscan HD that might be somthing.

Well that clear things up for me. May i know if you have both HDP and Vision DVI connected to the 434, if yes then do you see any difference in picture quality?

I was away for quite some time. When i bought the Pioeer 434 they said it cannot be ISF calibrated, is it possible now? There are few people i know in my area but i'm not sure if they are ISF registered.

I have the momitsu v880 connected to my 434 at 720p the picture looks quite good. But there was quite large overscan created by the v880 so i spent many hours fixing that but there is still some overscan in the vertical which i cannot fix but the picture has improved quite a bit. I hope these scalers can give me even better results.

As for the analog output as you said then i'll just stick with the DVI only output If i finally decided to go Vision DVI. I'm a bit confused here suppose i connect my dvd player to the Lumagen's dvi input that will be output as dvi into the plasma's hdmi input but how about my other connections like component and svideo will they also use the same input on the plasma? If i remember correctly the hdmi input configured for input 3 and component for 1 and so on.

Sorry for bothering you with so many questions.

Thanks alot.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,166
    Hello Arshad

01. iScanHD vs. Vision DVI - both products are very good and both work well at 720P into the HDMI socket on the R04 Media Receiver.

The Vision is much more 'utilitarian' looking and in its on-screen menu system - though conversely once you get to grips with it I find it easier and more flexible than the iScanHD; which has very slick full colour on-screen graphics (which initially 'look' like they will be easier to use.

Neither unit is that easy to configure and optimise if your not familiar with the technicalities of a video signal and your source and display devices.

Ignoring the audio capabilities of the iScanHD for now I'd say I'd plump for the Lumagen as producing the best all round images with my HDE - its a close call though so were certainly more than happy to also supply and support the DVDO products.

02. Digital Audio Delay - if you do go with a Video Only external processor then the Felston DD340 is an ideal Digital Audio delay to add to your set up; a VisionDVI + DD340 is near enough the same price as the iScanHD.

03. Analogue Video Sources - both the Lumagen and DVDO products have multiple analogue video inputs to enable connectivity and processing of Composite, S-Video, RGB and YUV Component signals.

SCART RGB sources are catered for using a SCART to 4RCA cable and menu settings that enable you to set the Component Inputs to accept RGB+Composite sync.

04. Sizing - using the menu system you have the ability to set a Global Output size to best fit your Display and you then have the ability to resize each Input within that Global Output frame.

The Lumagen by way of its multiple memory banks also has the ability to store more than one Output set up - so for those with multiple displays (TV and a Projector) you can easily 'flick' from MemA to MemB depending on which Display your viewing on.

Being able to resize is a big plus point with most of the PlasmaTV and Integrated PlasmaTV models which tend to overscan by about 10% but not allow you to adjust the overscan in the User menu.

05. R04 Media Receiver - once you install one of the Video Processors you rarely have to touch the TV's menu or selector again; simply set the TV to Input 03 (configured for HDMI) and then use the Video Processor as your Input selector and to make any Menu adjustments you feel necessary.

06. Installation and Calibration - no problem ISF calibrating an HDE; the Service mode is a lot clunkier than on a Pioneer Displays so its more of a fiddle but the required adjustments are in there (to a degree).

NOTE: The NEW XDE models are potentially much better in this respect as they actually have two engineering modes for ISF calibrator's to work with.

If your not familiar with the intricacies of a video signal and service menu's on your TV the best option is to have your dealer Install and Configure your Video Processor and on the same visit Calibrate your video system.

Once the Video Processors installed you can have a play for yourself and gradually work out what each parameter does in your set up - without messing up the calibrated settings!

Trust that helps - any further questions please shout.

Joe

5. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once again thanks alot joe.

That really helped. appreciated. Wish we had a retailers and dealers like you in our area.