1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lumagen Vision DVI

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Too Tall, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Too Tall

Too Tall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What's the best price at the moment?

2. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I thought it was one of those product that included retailer help and support and therefore only had one price?

Steve. :smoke:

3. Too Tall

Too Tall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Really? That's interesting.

Maybe the Iscan HD it a better bet then....

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The SRP is £815 I've been told a dealer I've spoken to , whom I've known for a little while so I believe what he tells me :), cheapest I've seen it is £814.23 (why do they bother with pence?) so I guess that tends to help make Steve's point. :)

Why go for something else simply because there's no discounting in the price structure? :confused:

5. Too Tall

Too Tall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My suggestion of a change to the iscan HD was not because of the price, but more to do with the fact that the Lumagen needs dealer help to set up. If it's so complicated that you need a dealer to help that doesn't boad well for when I make system changes in the future.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Did you download the manual to see what's involved? While the descriptions of its' use are a bit terse it seems pretty straightforward to use, maybe an e-mail or two would be needed to explain some of the more arcane aspects.

7. Too Tall

Too Tall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    No I haven't.

It's just at the moment I'm swinging between the Lumagen and the Iscan. My worry is that if the Lumagen needs/requires a dealer to get the best out of it, what happens when I change part of my system. I maybe able to make changes but if it needs the dealer to get it re-set up right that's a pain.

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think the issue is that the Lumagen is a lot more flexible, so is probably better suited to a changing system, but of course flexibility has a price and that can be setting up to do more esoteric things.

Certainly comparing the two manuals the iScan is somewhat simpler, but that's because it doesn't seem to be as capable .. but I wouldn't disagree that ease of use can be an important factor .. but since Lumgen are very active on AVS and Gordon on here then Lumagen's on-line presence is very good, and I don't see iScan's distributor on here which is something that is making me lean towards the Luma.

I also have epxerience of Owl (DVDO's UK distributor I believe) with a Z2 and was considerably less than impressed.

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    It is quite easy to get an image on screen with probably 2/3 of all displays. The usual approach taken by most people who simply buy a scaler without taking any advice (or if bought from a dealership that doesn't know any better) is to run 720p to a 1280 x 720p projector, or XGA or WXGA to a plasma screen. This is quite wasteful since these signals are in no way bypassed by your displays processor (even if the numbers match up between output resolution and native resolution) and are being processed twice. THey will look better because no matter what you do a £1000-£2000 box of tricks is going to deinterlace your signal better. But it is still being reprocessed at the other end. The art is to produce a customized a resolution and refresh rate that specifically minimizes the amount of processing the signal will undertake once it reaches the display. When this is done properley processing artefacts really start to disappear from the image and clean solid pictures are what you can expect. To get this kind of image is different for every display so the price you pay is for a processor and the experience of the retailer you are buying it from, and the retailers ability to work out exactly what you've done wrong when one day you phone up and the image has shifted 2" to the left, or there is no image!

All I want to say is buyer beware. These things are complicated to fine tune, the last thing you want is some cowboy webtailer to start palming you off to the distributor or manufacturer when things start getting stressfull. If you are very confident of going it alone then go for it, but note that my comments above relate to ALL video processors. If you have a common display to a lot of other people on this forum at least you will be able to get some help here. Lumagen owners get exclusive access to their own locked forum where settings are shared and advice given.

BTW I've pulled more hair out over setting up an iScan than I have a Lumagen. The Cinemateqs sit nicely in the middle and the Crystalio is surprisingly easy (by comparison that is).

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    OK Guys,

Here's some info for you...I DO NOT FIX PRICE......If a product is worth the money it sells. If you need to give 25% off then I think that tells you something. the dealers I am involved with tend to be video literate and they make their marign in being there to help the end user sort out their issues or more likely pre-configure and instal the product.

All scalers need professional set up to work at their best, not just Lumagen. Lumagen just happen to give you lots of set up capabilities to get that last ounce of quality if you know what you are doing......or if you follow the instructions.

The SRP is 815pounds though as someone has already mentioned.

Gordon

11. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Gordon,
    Sorry, I must have been tired when I posted.
    I did not mean to appear sarchastic, but could never put it as clearly as Liam has.

I agree entirely with Liams and your posting and what I meant to say was that most people, even av/video literate people need some expert help to set up properly and therefore are only sold at or near SRP but including many hours of dealer expertise.

Steve.

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Hello all

I field calls on a daily basis from folk who buy DVDO products from UK resellers who simply don't know what they are doing with the product - forget about DVDO being 'easier' to configure than Lumagen; that's simply not true.

The one advantage the DVDO iScanHD+ has over a Lumagen VisionDVI or VisionHDP (as far as usability is concerned) is the provision of a front panel LED array - which is only of use if you have read and understand the user manual and can read and understand the abbreviations on the front panel to describe the menu option you happen to be adjusting.

Whichever product you purchase if you choose to 'DIY it be sure your dealer can at least give you email or telephone support - you'll need it; and even then you'll still want to take your time to work through the inner workings of these black boxes.

Best regards

Joe

13. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Um, why is 1:1 mapping with a scaler not the same as 1:1 mapping from a PC .. or is it a folk myth that 1:1 mapping eliminates the display's scaler? :confused:

14. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Short answer - myth. Both from a PC or from a scaler the signal is identical and manipulated in the same way by the screen. A signal sent at native resolution will usually bypass most of the big parts of the displays internal processor, but there are artefacts introduce that can be removed by further tweaking of the signal. But yes, the signal is always reprocessed one way or another.