1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lumagen vision connections

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rscott4563, Jan 19, 2004.

1. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Couple of Lumagen Vision questions...

I've got a Denon 3803 and I will be using a Lumagen Vision to feed my plasma. My Tivo and Ntl will have to be converted from RGB to S-Video (using JS converter) and then (and heres my question) either fed in to the 3803 which will upconvert to the component output to the lumagen or I could just take the S-Video from the JS converter straight to the Lumagen. Will running the S-Video through the 3803 be better or worse than going straight to the Lumagen, will the 3803 upconversion add any noise or artifacts??
    Using the 3803 would be easier as it would only mean 1 cable to the Lumagen and switching via the 3803 for all sources.
    But I was thinking the direct S-Video might produced the better picture??

Has anyone compared using a HD15 to HD15 (RGBHV) and a HD15 to 5BNC (RGBHV) cable from the Lumagen and plasma, if so which is the better quality, is there any difference?
    I know BNC should be better but as its a breakout from a HD15 anyway will it matter?

Thanks

Ryan :smashin:

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    Ryan,

I have not tried it but my dealers report back that the upconversion to component is not that great on these amplifiers. Direct S-video feed to Lumagen may be preferable.

I cannot comment on BNC or HD15 at present time

Gordon

3. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Gordon, thinking about it some more and the direct connection may have a few other benefits over going via the 3803 as I think I'm able to configure the Lumagen's inputs seperately and so would be able to tweak the component input seperately to the S-Video input, am I right in thinking this and would this probably be needed, ie different settings for the DVD input compared to the S-Video NTL box??

Cheers

Ryan :smashin:

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    yes you are correct that by going in differently you can save different settings per input. In fact you can have two memories per input anyway.

Gordon