1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lumagen Visio 1st generation

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Likvid, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have been offered a brand new but 1st generation Lumagen Visio.

I was considering buying it because it is such a good price, around £200.

Would this be enough and give pleasant pictures on my Panny TH-50PHD6EX?

I have no DVI card now and the 60Hz limitation and judder is not something i want so i thought the Lumagen would fit nice as it got only analogue outputs and inputs.

Any opinion on this? i got only a DVD player and my sat-receiver that i will connect to it.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    The Vision should make a pretty obvious improvement to the image on that plasma.....You should be aware that it doesn't output fixed pixel resolutions so you willnot be able to get pixel for pixel mapping. That shouldn't in any way stop you from buying what is a bargain.

Gordon

3. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    So i can't output 1366x768?

If not, thanks for telling me so i didn't rush into buying it.

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    No you can output 768P but there are no pixels in an analogue signal. It massively oversamples the output so it's probably the equivalent of 2000 and something x 768 LINES. This is actually good for analogue signals.

I'd be astounded if you didn;t see £200 improvement by using this.

If you really really have to go pixel for pixel for you to believe you'll see a better picture then you need to look to the newer Lumagen DVI which can be set to output fixed pixel style timings that would allow you to get pixel matching equivalency

Gordon

5. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for your help, how much difference would you say that buying the VisioDVI would have to the picture and then buy a DVI card to the Panny compared to the old Visio and connecting it thru the VGA connector on the Panny?

Is it very much a noticable improvement?

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    I think whether you use the DVI input or the RGBHV input on the plasma is irrelevant myself. I use both. I doubt whether anyone could tell which is which in all honesty. The difference in the processors is that there is better processing in the newer model. It uses the same sil504 chip as the old one but instead of silicon images companion co-processor it has that work done by Lumagens own proprietry code in an FPGA. This means they have more capablity in tweaking the thing to make it more consistent and accurate in its de-interlacing duties. The new units also process HD signals and to this end have a very high qualiity analoge to digital front end on those HD inputs. Then there are more tweakable settings for colour and y/c delay and more accurate scaling....all these things add up, in the right hands, to a more accurate and obviously superior image over the older model.

Gordon