1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lumagen / Scaler questions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by moopa, Jan 25, 2005.

1. moopa

moopa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I can see by the numerous posts here that a lot of you guys are well versed in all things A/V . I myself must admit to being new, but willing to understand all I can, which brings me to my point :)

I see alot of talk about scalers in this forum. Logic tells me that a scaler most likely takes a signal and digitally scales it up to the native res of the plasma/lcd.

Can someone explain why this is such an improvement over the tuners that come with it and would I personally benefit from one?

I have recently bought a Pio 43XDE. I use numorous consles linked to it via RGB, TV and will at some stage soon purchase a prog DVD player.

Many thanks in advance

Dave

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    Every fixed pixel display has a scaler built in to it...or rather has video processing built in to it. This processing does A to D conversion of analogue inputs, de-interlaces, scales and then drives the panel. Along the way colourspace transformations may occur as well as noise reduction processes and gamma corrections.

Each input take in different signal resolutions.ie a DVI input might be fed PC's as well as NATIVE resolution of panel and perhaps 720P/1080I. Component inputs might take 480i/480p/576i/576p/720p/1080i. You may find that with a display the same brightness/contrast colour etec is used for all sources on a given input yet the output of all these sources will be different requirinig different settings...

So where do external video processors fit in...well the good ones have very advanced high oversampling analogue to digital stages for analogue sources. They get the beast cleanest info in to digital domain for processing. This allows the de-interlacing stages to do a better job. Usually you would find that the de-interlacing stage in an off board processor will lock to film cadence more aggresively than that in the display, then recover from bad edits faster too. The video de-interlacing capabilities of off board devices is usually better too removing more jaggies whle increasing detail. Then the scaling and noise reduction can be improved on that in the display. Removal of noise in the the image without removing detail and more accurate mathematical scaling will give a sharper more detailed less artefact ridden image. Lastly the ability of good processors to have multple inputs and memories means that the divers signal levels and types from many sources can ll be optmised ini the processor then fed down a single cable to the display in the format it works best with.

Hope this is some use

Gordon

3. moopa

moopa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the information Gordon. It has helped. Can I ask you finally. Do you think that people like myself would benefit from one, considering that currently all of my inputs are of fairly average quality?

If the answer is yes. What scaler would you reccommend.

Many thanks

Dave

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    You really need to try one to see. The analogue stages of the media box arent the best. Its digital input is much better I feel. So perhaps a scaler with good analogue front end and digital output would be useful.

I distribute Lumagen scalers in UK so I'd suggest they could be a place to start.

Gordon

5. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Hi Gordan,
    where would be the best place to obtain a demonstration of the aforementioned Lumagen scaler? I am going to the Bristol show soon....will it be there?

Regards,

Dan :)

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    No I wont be at Bristol showing the product. If you email me with your location I can try to put you in touch with a dealer

Gordon