1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lumagen Scaler advice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MATT JENNER, Apr 23, 2003.

1. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all
    i am about to buy One of these scalers, but in speaking to people and searching other web forums , i have found one niggle that could have major reperuccuccions for some crt owners.
    Aparenly the scaler is extremely good, but to ensure it is good it bufferss x amounts of frames on a film to ensure it does not make a mistake.
    Because of this slight delay, it causes lip sync problems, so your sound or audio amp must have the facility to adjust the lip synch,
    i have the sony strdb1080 amp and am struggling to find out if it has this facility, i need to be able to adjust it by 30 millisecs.
    this scaelr has great write ups, using the latest chipset etc,
    but your amp or sound equipemnt has to have the facility to alter the lip synch or it will get on your nerves.

any help
    Gordon roland chris,

2. RichardA

RichardA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt,

The delay you refer to on the Lumagen is common to all Video Processing systems, which due to the nature of what they do will buffer a certain number of video fields.

Different processors have different delays, but the 30mS you quote is not bad compared to some, and it's actually worth noting that a digital projector will also be adding delay to the video path, so digital projector owners will have it even worse than us CRT types!

Unfortunatley I'm not sure whether your Amp has the delay available but if it isn't mentioned, it probably doesn't have it. All I can suggest on that is to ask in the Amps & Receivers section.

Hope this helps a little, at least!

3. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    thanx alot ,i have placed a questrion on the amps section
    the only thing is if there is a slightest lip sync i will notice it, and only being 10 feet from a 8 ft screen it will stand out big time, and will get on my pecks big time, so i will probably end up getting a deuce MC scaler,
    the annoying thing it is only until you plug these thngs in you know the little niggles, unless someone tells you,

regards

Matt

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    There is the possibility of using external audio delays or, rather than getting an inferior video processor, killing two birds with one stone and getting a new amp at same time!

Gordon

5. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    thanx again

this obviosly leads to the next question, do you know any amp that has this facility that doesnt cost the same as a villa in barbados ?

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Denon 3803 has I believe.....Got one in a box for a customer. Will check instructions tomorrow to confirm

Gordon

7. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    thanx gordon
    please let me know if it has

matt

8. MATT JENNER

MATT JENNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    just one more thing,
    when you say audio delay, do you mean the setting where you set the speaker distance, from the seating position, so you get equal sound ?

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    No, It's usually called Lip-Sync delay. Some folk try using centre speaker adjustment but this just puts that channel out of sync with others but in sync with video. It's a GLOBAL audio delay you need.

I really don' think it's an issue but better safe than sorry I guess

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    The 3803 has 200ms delay, and I believe that the Sil504 adds 67ms of delay, so more than enough to sort things out.

I had a lumagen the other night to see if the delay bothered me as my Denon A1 does not have the delay feature, unfortunately the delay was very obvious.

But this is a cracking scaler and once I have had the upgrade on my amp or changed it completely I will be purchasing one.

Gordon, have a word with the guys at Lumagen and get them to do a "Vision Delux" with an analogue, and a digital, in/out that delays the audio with the video, charge another few hundred and I bet they would shift loads :D

11. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Given that the Key Digital card includes an audio delay feature, I guess that would be the obvious choice for Pioneer owners like me. Any views Gordon on the relative performance of the Lumagen and the Key Digital? The blurb on your website suggests the Key digital is a no-brainer for the MXE.

BTW, would fitting the card to my 433 have any effect on the calibration you did on the screen? Or is it just plug and play?

Can you PM me with a quote for the card please.

12. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Saw the Lumagen yesterday, I must say this is just what the market needs, although I didn't pick the picture to pieces (time, the BBQ called!) it seemed to do everything right and is SOOO damn easy to use. Just what the maket needed. Getting to be a no brainer. By by Tag

13. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Gizalroc: Sorry to hear you had lipsync issues. It's funny but I don't seem to get it at home and mine then goes through a plasma, which should make it worse! I know what you are seeing though as my Vigatec (same sil chipset) was unwatcheable with Buffy one night so I had to turn on TV and turn off my CRT projector. Weird..... Can you email me your sources and what material you saw worst delay on please?

I believe there might be third party vendors for such delays, hopefully soon. I m constant contact with Jim and Patrick at Lumagen and will ask them to consider your idea.

PhilpB: I am unsure as to whether the fitting of the card is going to affect the greyscale. If it does I will carry out a full re-calibration FOC if you go down the NR768card route.

I believe that the Key prodcuts will offer significant improvements over the Lumagens. Particularily with a device such as the MXE plasma's. Not long to wait now to find out.....

Thanks for interest.

Gordon

14. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    sent you an email

cheers

Guy

15. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've been using a Lumagen vision for about a week now, and have to say that I haven't noticed any lip-sync delays yet . I usually notice this, but for some reason I havent. :confused:

Have to say that its certainly a very good performer. I've tried many scaling options and this is the first time I've found something thats easy to use and does a great job considering its cost. The de-interlacing is first class. Having done some comparisons with my PSM-1 modded Denon, I have to say the Vision compares favourably.

I'm not sure how much benefit would be made by adding a digital input. the difference in detail between the two (the Denon with its built in scaler,essentially the same as SDI) was minimal. It was there, but you really had to look hard to see it. De-interlacing as you would expect was better on the vision. I think the Lumagen partnered with a fairly high-end player would give most things a run for thier money. I'm certainly very pleased anyway.

Rob.