Lumagen Radiance Pro owners thread

Keep the updates coming, all very interesting and with both side's of the pond stating improvements have been made in the audio department it looks like a winner, I guess hearing is believing. Of cause a lot of people won't be able to stretch to such a device due to the cost, but it will have to be another year of saving if one were to aim so high.

I'm on 120320 but there isn't any mention of DTM upgrades since there, so I haven't bothered updating beyond that version yet as nothing that affects my use case.
Enjoy the rest of the film when you get round to it. :)
Hehe it was a mid-movie report. I did enjoy the movie, was nice to see something from around these parts. I didn't see anything all the way through. I was on AppleTV for what it is worth, on the beta firmware for that.
If you recall which scenes I'll give them another look to be sure.

For those interested in what's inside the Fidelity Audio LPS, I took the lid off over the weekend, well shielded and Mundorf caps, but this is only £150 of parts max, I suspect

5.5A 12v supply

B9B8D409-A9D3-4A26-A469-47C609F1CF7E.jpeg

Fixed my issue, hdmi on vw760 projector was set to std changed it to enhanced and oppo source now locks! Think I got picture upgrade also!

Kevin

Can anyone confirm with certainty that Darbee should be switched to 'off' for 4K discs? Sorry if its obvious, I cant seem to find any info on this...

Can anyone confirm with certainty that Darbee should be switched to 'off' for 4K discs? Sorry if its obvious, I cant seem to find any info on this...
Darbee is off/disabled by default with 4K content . You do not have to "switch it off"

These devices only support applying the Darbee process to 1080 and lower resolutions, so there's no "should", it "is" switched off.

I'm interested in getting one of these (Radiance Pro or 5348) and was wondering if there are many beneficial features that I will get from them with my setup. I mostly use madVR with my HTPC with a 3090 GPU, 2 projectors (NX7 with DCR lens) and RS500, and dual screens (2.39 with 0.8 gain and 16x9 with 1.0 gain). I mostly watch only 1080p blu rays and 4K UHDs content, and watch streaming material on the Apple TV 4K and 2019 Nvidia Shield.

What I like about madVR is the ability to create profiles to autoswitch to settings based on which projector that I'm using and the screen/screen gain.

Well i guess others will answer but the Llumagen has 8 different banks of settings for colour management and output formats and output modes that can be assigned per incoming signal type as well as by input and by input memory...ie each input has four memories A,B,C,D and each of those memories has sub memories for 480/576,720, 1080, 4K etc...So its super flexible in that respect. As for other benefiical features...well the mAdVR guys will say that their scaling and tone mapping is better...but i'd say the opposite...The US forum has folk who have ditched their MAD VR PC's for Pro's...

Thanks for the response. There's too much arguing from all knowing individuals on the US forum for a less than expert user like myself to understand. I've come to the conclusion that scaling and DTM from both products are too close to call and it might come down to different variables, but I don't know. I do believe that the Lumagen will provide more flexibility.

One more thing, I use an HDFury Maestro system to feed my HDMI devices to output to 2 other TVs in the house. Will it play nice with the Lumagen?

No idea....i have a vertex 2 in my own system to feed a legacy pj i use for testing at times as well as a 4K OLED. It's easier to leave it in situ than pull it out every time i swap from testing 4242 to 5348/444x units....it works fine....

I recently acquired a Lumagen second hand (4449) to pair with my Sony 715ES projector. Is anyone aware of someone who can calibrate the Lumagen that resides in or near the Atlanta, Georgia area?

Speaking of calibrations, can JVC Autocal be used in the same fashion with a Lumagen in place? I bought a SpyderX and X-Rite meter over the summer (my regular calibrator can't travel to NY at the moment) and it gave a good results for a beginner.

What are peoples thoughts on the best way to configure APPLE TV for the lumagen? I wish there was a way to set apple TV to output its native feed resolution instead of having to scale everything to one resolution. Ive tried 4K HDR and 4K SDR, I actually think the SDR output into the Lumagen generally looks better.....Its hard to make a definitive decision on it though as it seems to vary wildly depending on the quality of the bitstream. I had toyed with setting it to 1080p, but that sort of seems counter intuitive to then let the Apple TV down rez any 4K content to 1080 before it passes it to the Lumagen. Flip side of course, any 1080p content can then be scaled to 4k by the Lumagen.

Here in Australia most of what we get through Netflix, Prime etc. is so heavily bandwidth limited that it just plain sucks most of the time - especially in dark scenes where the noise can really be a problem. I think thats why I just prefer optical 4k media - it just looks and sounds so much better.

What are peoples thoughts on the best way to configure APPLE TV for the lumagen? I wish there was a way to set apple TV to output its native feed resolution instead of having to scale everything to one resolution. Ive tried 4K HDR and 4K SDR, I actually think the SDR output into the Lumagen generally looks better.....Its hard to make a definitive decision on it though as it seems to vary wildly depending on the quality of the bitstream. I had toyed with setting it to 1080p, but that sort of seems counter intuitive to then let the Apple TV down rez any 4K content to 1080 before it passes it to the Lumagen. Flip side of course, any 1080p content can then be scaled to 4k by the Lumagen.

Here in Australia most of what we get through Netflix, Prime etc. is so heavily bandwidth limited that it just plain sucks most of the time - especially in dark scenes where the noise can really be a problem. I think thats why I just prefer optical 4k media - it just looks and sounds so much better.
That’s not how you do it. Set the AppleTV to 4KSDR with frame and rate match on.

On the Lumagen ATV input, copy your calibrated memory for the display output, assume you call it ATV 4K original, and name the second memory as ATV HD. Set the Input EDID to 1080p on the HD memory.

Now, whenever you watch HD only content on the ATV just press the HD memory button. This will force the ATV to output native 1080p and the Lumagen will then handle the upscaling to your display, assuming it’s a 4K device.

I hope someone here that without a doubt knows a lot more than me.
I have a BENQ W 2700 4K projector With an anamorphic lens ( which I know I’m not using right ) .
the fact my BENQ doesn’t have lens memory so I need an external fix.
a Lumagen looks like the answer but I don’t know which one will solve my problem or indeed how the aspect ratio changer works on these machines, any help would be appreciated.

Any Radiance Pro will work.

Auto aspect control works by looking for black bars in the image (or metadata on source if you set that option). It then makes the content fit the height of the screen automatically. This detection works for 1.78:1, 1.85:1, 2.00:1, 2.20:1, 2.35:1 and 2.40:1 So you set your projector to fit width of the scope screen then tell the Lumagen the aspect the screen is. Simple.

If you want to overide the auto aspect and just select the one you want you can do that using the remote control as well.

There are other benefits with using a Pro on your projector other than aspect control for use with scope screen and anamorphic lens.

Any Radiance Pro will work.

Auto aspect control works by looking for black bars in the image (or metadata on source if you set that option). It then makes the content fit the height of the screen automatically. This detection works for 1.78:1, 1.85:1, 2.00:1, 2.20:1, 2.35:1 and 2.40:1 So you set your projector to fit width of the scope screen then tell the Lumagen the aspect the screen is. Simple.

If you want to overide the auto aspect and just select the one you want you can do that using the remote control as well.

There are other benefits with using a Pro on your projector other than aspect control for use with scope screen and anamorphic lens.
Thanks for the reply, excellent , that’s exactly what I want, I will keep in touch.

Went for my first covid jab today and when i got home i found my hall full of 5438 Radiance Pro's. Not all my back orders but a fair pile! So some lucky clients in UK and EU will be gettingt theirs over next week or so. Still waiting on more of the Keces P8's i've got on back order though.

Thought i'd share some other info with folk. I've not had a high quality video projector at home for several months as i had to loan out my own JVC to client who has been waiting on an N7. So i've not been able to really look at how much of a difference the 5348 makes to video quality, only audio quality. About two weeks ago i did a calibration from an old client. It was arranged months ago, before the 5348 came out. He has an N9. He asked me if i could bring a 4242 to show him even though he didn't think it would make any significant improvement to his N9. I agreed and when the 5348 came out he asked if i could bring one of them as well. So i did. i spent several hours doing the n9 calibration and then spent another few hours doing full LUT based calibration and set up of DTM with a 4242. I then loaded that config in to my 5348 so we could demo all three combinations. The customer was pleased with the calibration improvements and asked if he could play same clips he'd chosen with the 5348. We swapped over memories and presets in both devices and off we went. This was done with no sound, just looking at video and with no Keces supply. Just standard Lumagen. We swapped back after to check we weren't seeing things....His comment after we did it again..."Well, that wasn't subtle". I had to agree. I was surprised. The image looked sharper and more detailed, obviously. It was easily visible in his system. I asked if i could compare the two Radiance Pro's on the same material and we did that. The tone mapping and calibration improvements were obvious still with the 4242 over the N9 but again the image looked more detailed. He turned to me and said,"You can see that too can't you?" I could. I'm now looking forward to getting out there to do some more demo's in a couple of weeks as i start to come out of my self imposed lock down. Hopefully the recipients of some of these 5348's may post their own findings when they get theirs.

Stay safe everyone!

Went for my first covid jab today and when i got home i found my hall full of 5438 Radiance Pro's. Not all my back orders but a fair pile! So some lucky clients in UK and EU will be gettingt theirs over next week or so. Still waiting on more of the Keces P8's i've got on back order though.

Thought i'd share some other info with folk. I've not had a high quality video projector at home for several months as i had to loan out my own JVC to client who has been waiting on an N7. So i've not been able to really look at how much of a difference the 5348 makes to video quality, only audio quality. About two weeks ago i did a calibration from an old client. It was arranged months ago, before the 5348 came out. He has an N9. He asked me if i could bring a 4242 to show him even though he didn't think it would make any significant improvement to his N9. I agreed and when the 5348 came out he asked if i could bring one of them as well. So i did. i spent several hours doing the n9 calibration and then spent another few hours doing full LUT based calibration and set up of DTM with a 4242. I then loaded that config in to my 5348 so we could demo all three combinations. The customer was pleased with the calibration improvements and asked if he could play same clips he'd chosen with the 5348. We swapped over memories and presets in both devices and off we went. This was done with no sound, just looking at video and with no Keces supply. Just standard Lumagen. We swapped back after to check we weren't seeing things....His comment after we did it again..."Well, that wasn't subtle". I had to agree. I was surprised. The image looked sharper and more detailed, obviously. It was easily visible in his system. I asked if i could compare the two Radiance Pro's on the same material and we did that. The tone mapping and calibration improvements were obvious still with the 4242 over the N9 but again the image looked more detailed. He turned to me and said,"You can see that too can't you?" I could. I'm now looking forward to getting out there to do some more demo's in a couple of weeks as i start to come out of my self imposed lock down. Hopefully the recipients of some of these 5348's may post their own findings when they get theirs.

Stay safe everyone!
First covid jab hopefully that means you will get back up to Scotland at some point this decade and get some calibrations done fur auld client's🤣. You don't need to convince me Gordon you know my views with improvements to the hardware and lowering floor noise and your word is Gold. I might take you up on that demo brother might be buying mine at a ransome fee from me 🤣👍

Stay safe everyone!
Damn u do get some good stuff in your hallway Gordon

I guess the day was going to come where we now have peasants owners who have to do with the 4242 and Lords who have the higher model.

I guess the day was going to come where we now have peasants owners who have to do with the 4242 and Lords who have the higher model.
I'm happy slumming it though. :D Been watching some older discs lately as I'm running out of new stuff to watch and the last improvements with the sharpening and DTM give a really satisfying result for me, even with the older BluRays.

It's great that they continue with improvements, but it's a mug's game if you try to keep up every time something new/better comes out. That's not to say I won't have a 5xxx series one day, but maybe when it's a trade in for a 6xxx series (or whatever comes next).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom