Lumagen Radiance Pro owners thread

Updated our unit this morning using the boot loader method as recommended by Jim.

Not had a chance to test it yet other than ensuring everything still works.

I did some viewing last night, looked very good to me. A few scene transitions I'd noticed previously as jarring were completely fixed from what I could see, and the image really popped. A very worthwhile upgrade, it does just keep getting better. :)

I did some viewing last night, looked very good to me. A few scene transitions I'd noticed previously as jarring were completely fixed from what I could see, and the image really popped. A very worthwhile upgrade, it does just keep getting better. :)
Sounds great. Need to get this done to mine!

Watched a few minutes of fury Road and it looks spectacular pherhaps more so but it is very hard to be subjective.
Watched the first few minutes of Superman also, the updated DTM has definitely removed an issue I had when the air battle with Zod is in full flow.

Eye candy everywhere I look.

Updated our unit this morning using the boot loader method as recommended by Jim.

Not had a chance to test it yet other than ensuring everything still works.

Is the boot loader message easy ?

Is the boot loader message easy ?

Yes, plug in your laptop, select the Com channel, then remove power from the Pro, count to 5, plug power back in and start the software.

An easy mistake I made previously was when I turned the power back on I also turned the Pro on but that needs to stay off (red light)

Just watched Mortal Engines, the film is not great but the picture is tremendous.
So much shadow detail, yet again I find myself watching the picture not the film.

Couldn't get mine to update until I did the bootloader method. I always forget what COM port to use (it's 3 as it turns out, as I'm using a USB adaptor as most probably do). I only had a quick watch of some dark Netflix 4k/HDR content downscaled to 1080p/SDR but seemed clearer than before, especially dark scenes. I was on a very early DTM version though, so I'm about 4 updates behind.

At least when I get back into using my projector in autumn I'll have a good selection of UHD discs in my rental queue to enjoy. :smashin:

Is anyone here using DTM on an OLED TV?

Just looking for pointers on setting up Display Max Light.

Paul

Is anyone here using DTM on an OLED TV?

Just looking for pointers on setting up Display Max Light.

Paul
Try 7000..... see how that looks That's what i do on my A1OLED just now.

Try 7000..... see how that looks That's what i do on my A1OLED just now.
Thanks Gordon, much appreciated.

I think I just need to spend some time with it and grasp exactly what the various controls do, and what I'm trying to achieve. Unless it's through the display's onboard apps, I'm almost exclusively HD SDR. So I need to start watching more UHD Bd's and using the on demand apps, through the UHD BD player, to allow me to utilise the Pro's capabilities.

Paul

Looks like another update; they're like buses these with nothing for ages then two (almost) at once. :D

Lumagen

Beta 072019- HDR parameter changes (.ie Ratio, Shape, etc) were needlessly slow to change when being modified. Removed HDR Min Offset from menu. Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at [email protected] .
Update time ~1 minutes @230k from previous firmware

Don't think I'll rush to update as it's nothing significant to me.

I watched Arrival this evening, my last viewing was before any of the DTM updates.
I loved the film but remember it being dark and difficult to discern detail at various points during the movie, well not any more, wow what a difference.
The murkiness was gone, the detail was in abundance and the orange bio suits just popped.

I expect most owners on this thread already know this, but there have been two more updates since the link I posted last week.

Quoting Jim Peterson:
"New release 072119 to fix issues with 072019.

Reason: 071919 has debug debug code left in which slowed down the menu. 072019 attempted to remove it but not quite right. So 072119 should complete the removal of the debug code".

Lumagen

Beta 072119- Same as 072019, but 072019 had an issue causing lockup in some systems. Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at [email protected] .
Update time ~1 minutes @230k from previous firmware

I did the update to 072119 last night and did some tweaking of the settings following a post from Jim P over on AVS. I put 'Altered Carbon' on from Netflix, which is a typically dark program. I'm downscaling this 4k/HDR content to a 1080p TV, so it's not the best display to test on, but I have to say that this looked a lot better than when I originally watched this series and the darker scenes are easier to follow and some bright scenes really did seem to pop out of the screen. Should be promising for when I start using my X7500 in the winter. Who knows I might even get round to calibrating it this year...

I've had an issue with moire effect, from SkyQ, for as long as I can remember. Is there anything the Radiance Pro can do to eliminate it? The Q box is outputting 1080P50 at YCbCr 4:4:4. It can also be set to output at 1080i50 but, when I've used this in the past, it seemed to be worse. Granted, that was a while ago (years) and I probably didn't have the Pro set up correctly.

Paul

Is your display (if tv) set for pixel mapping, ie image is not zoomed by a few pixels etc?

Is your display (if tv) set for pixel mapping, ie image is not zoomed by a few pixels etc?
Yes, always. I will double check this though as LG's name for this functionality is ambiguous.
I have used the Pro to move the image up a pixel or 2, as with some channels there's what looks like a slight underscan at the top edge of the picture.

The display is a 2016 LG OLED and the constants are it, and Sky Q. I'm wracking my brain and I don't recall the same behaviour when I had an LCD display hooked up to the Q box. I didn't have the Pro then either though.

Paul

Last edited:
Another update:
Beta 080919- Posted 081619 Fix for a DTM color flash issue that occurred for a few seconds on an HDR mode change. Further improvements to Dynamic Tone Mapping.

Lumagen

They've updated the update due to some issues with the FPGA, now resolved. I hadn't got round to updating to 0800919 myself, so I'll skip to this one in the next few days, once I see a bit of feedback about it.

Beta 081019- Posted 082319 A new FPGA version from rev 080919 fixes issues seen in many systems with getting picture and other video issues. Software identical to 080919.

Lumagen

Can anyone advise what MaxCLL the Pro reports, when displaying test patterns with the HDR flag enabled?

Paul

Can't help with that question Paul, sorry.

New update available, details below:
Beta 082219- Posted 090419 Bug fix for test patterns if output vertical top shrink is being used. Bugfix for restoring Alt-1.85 input aspect after displaying test pattern. Bugfix for Input: Options: Lipsync menu not being able to change setting. Added some more audio EDID format options under Input: Options: HDMI Setup: Audio EDID.

Lumagen

Another release up. I am now up to 082219 so happy with that and starting to look at 4K as useable. I have resisted 4K as every comparison until now has shown 4K just too dark or unrealistic. Finally it is worth watching and now it's close to 2K, but whilst I don't have my light meter to hand it still looks a little less punchy as 2K and using Ocean 8 (rubbish film but one I have watched and don't care about so a good comparison base) I still prefer to watch 2K. I am thoroughly enjoying 2K, still think I might be on the margin of brightness but enjoying 2k films. So far with my UHD 9000, Epson 10500 I don't think I have watched more than 2 film in 4K from start to finish.

Whilst the 4K version of Oceans 8 was watchable I preferred the 2K, as it :

1. Seemed a little brighter
  2. Blacks were 'inkier' and the balance of shadow detail and shadow looked more 'right'
  3. somehow had more image depth
  4. Seemed smoother and more cinematic
  5. The colour palette seemed a little better
  6. I struggled to see any more detail on a 134" screen sat 11 foot away
As the 10500 is faux 4K and using the Panasonic and Lumagen offers an amazing 2K image, what can I do to get a better viewing experience with 4k, I am currently struggling to see why I should spend £20 on a disc when I am buying 2K at £5-7

By the way I watched Hacksaw ridge on 2K and the image quality was stunning

How do people set up the Lumagen for 4K HDR with the new software ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom