Lumagen Radiance Pro owners thread

A few folks asked me if i have seen this pattern below & lumagen lock up before. This is the tennis racket effect which is in fact a HDCP problem. This can be bad with Sony' Panasonic' and some projector manufacturers.Thankfully Lumagen now has HDCP delay to avoid this. Anyone seeing this pattern & lock reboot from the wall and set up HDCP delay with the Lumagen. Menu > Global > HDCP DELAY. OUT1 USE DELAY:YES
OUT2 USE DELAY: YES
DELAY LENGTH 1
ONLY AT STARTUP: NO SAVE SAVE
the delay length is 1 to 4. 1 or 2 should be sufficient. I spoke with Lumagen Jim is going to make this HDCP delay setting the default, at least for turn on.

5F0E7289-D7B4-4AAE-B751-FDC56CE74139.jpeg

Simple question if I may..I think I know the answer though but wanted to check. I’ve got a modified UB9000 into an OLED 55” G1. My guess is that a video upscaler like a Lumagen is a waste of money for me as the real benefit is with a projector and the processing in the LG will be plenty good enough and I’d be better off with a better screen than a Lumagen. Would I be right?

Last edited:
A Lumagen is an amazing bit of kit for dialling in the best picture possible, a big investment but something I don’t regret in any way. With a PJ it’s HDR that’s transformed.

I don’t know how good the LG is but I know the Lumagen is better 😬

Simple question if I may..I think I know the answer though but wanted to check. I’ve got a modified UB9000 into an OLED 55” G1. My guess is that a video upscaler like a Lumagen is a waste of money for me as the real benefit is with a projector and the processing in the LG will be plenty good enough and I’d be better off with a better screen than a Lumagen. Would I be right?
Not sure how much visual benefit you’ll get on a 55” screen. It will be better, but I’d look at getting a bigger screen if possible first.

I have always had OLEDS with the Lumagen 4 in all. I had the C10 LG 65 & the my current Sony 77AG9. I had a 55 LG curved as well. The Lumagen will make an improvement especially the DTM. The bigger the OLED the better the lumagen & screen. It becomes more immersive You will benefit from Dolby vision from your OLED especially with streaming content the Lumagen can't give you that Dolby vision. I find the lumagen DTM is better than my display Dolby Vision. On the C10 & especially on the Sony AG9.

Projector & Lumagen is the better option for performance gains. Lumagen can be beneficial for OLED panel as i mentioned above. Like projectors with Lumagen needs setting up correctly professionally. Gordon Fraser is the boy for that.

Last edited:
As much as I love my Lumagen I have to agree with mb3195. On a cost benefit basis if you have the room for a larger OLED I think that makes more sense. You could probably get a 83” OLED for about the cost of an entry level Lumagen. Set up your UB9000 for the correct display and you will have an excellent system albeit not dynamic tone mapping but still very good. The size difference though would be huge.

Thanks all it was just me floating a question to confirm my suspicion. Given the dimensions of my open plan room 5.5m (to alcove) l x 3.6m w x 2.4m h (17’11” h x 11’11” w x 7’10” h) I feel a projector or very large screen is overkill. 65” is going to be the largest I’ll likely be able to fit in. The UB9000 is treat with native 4K it’s just other content (HD and a large collection of DVD’s). Think it’ll be the last, if at all’ mod on the list. For now priorities are going to be calibration and audio upgrades. By the time comes there’ll be yet another best in class display to look at.

Thanks all it was just me floating a question to confirm my suspicion. Given the dimensions of my open plan room 5.5m (to alcove) l x 3.6m w x 2.4m h (17’11” h x 11’11” w x 7’10” h) I feel a projector or very large screen is overkill. 65” is going to be the largest I’ll likely be able to fit in. The UB9000 is treat with native 4K it’s just other content (HD and a large collection of DVD’s). Think it’ll be the last, if at all’ mod on the list. For now priorities are going to be calibration and audio upgrades. By the time comes there’ll be yet another best in class display to look at.
Your room is a fair bit bigger that most cinemas in here.

Get the size that you feel most comfortable with, although a UST projector might be an option.

I feel a projector or very large screen is overkill.
No such thing as overkill when it comes to screen size :)

Could you do similar to my previous room and keep the 55 oled for ordinary TV watching with a motorised drop down screen in front of it for the proper big screen movie viewing?

My living room is 6.5m x 3.8m x 2.4m, so not that much bigger and I've got a 3 metre wide projector screen, viewed from about 4 metres back. I agree that 65" TV or bigger is overkill (or over powering, depending on your viewpoint) in that size room, but at least with a projector you can have a drop down screen, or a 'hidden in plain sight' fixed screen like mine.

Obviously not going to be everyone's taste, but this is a 50" TV (on an electric lift) with the fixed screen behind:

Finish door closed.jpg

I have debated losing the projector screen and put a larger 75/88" TV behind the smaller TV, but conceal it behind some kind of cover, just so I don't have a great ugly TV on show all the time. However unless something happens to my projector I'll stick with the screen...I figured my Lumagen might not be so necessary with a TV, so I'd sell it to finance a 75/88" TV.

I have a 138" (3.5m) diagonal around 3m wide in a 5mx5.2mx2.6m room, I'd go bigger

If I had a room with your dimensions i would have a projector of some sort 👍

Agreed, that’s a good sized room for at least a 120” PJ with a retractable screen if you can control the light.

Picked up a Radiance Pro recently. It's an older 2U chasis which is a minor shame, but at the price paid i felt worth it.

Sold as a 4446, it has 8 inputs and 4 outputs, no triggers or switched outputs. It only mentioned 9Ghz, however it appears to have 4 inputs at 18Ghz and 2 outputs at 18Ghz, so a bit of a win there.

Was running 010317 in terms of firmware which seems old and now upgraded and factory reset, as it was displaying in a strange window mode, but now filling the screen.

I've got it hooked up "wrong" in a quick and dirty after my processor way to test and get a feel for how things work and what it does before reworking my system. I've got a new audio processor to install too and getting covid has meant that Christmas will be delayed for when the GF comes over giving me some time to play with the new toys, so that's kinda a plus!

Got an Epson TW9400, 16:9 screen, so pretty basic there - I've done various manual calibrations on it in the past (HCFR) and have an OLD eecolour box that i use for 3D LUT (displaycal) for Bluray - Also got a Vertex for the Dolby Vision hack using an Apple TV / Sony x800 player

A Lumagen seemed the next logical step, mainly for DTM but also 3D LUT for Rec709 & BT2020

I know lots may have gone for a new PJ, but I really like the Epson and when something comes along to nudge me into that upgrade, the Lumagen will help get the best of that too!

So i've been playing with the DTM and i found a Long Youtube video which gives some hints and tips for starting off on this journey - It's basically Jim Peterson talking through some slides - I can certainly get an image improvement with DTM, though I'm still quite confused on a LOT of the settings.
Seems to suggest 4K BT2020 HDR -> 4K BT2020 SDR, though quite what projector calibration I use there I don't know, also seems to come out 8bit RGB, did look pretty good though!

I'm also curious if I should still keep the Vertex in the mix, I'm guessing i'd loose Dolby vision compatibility if I don't (The vertex basically enables the EDID, which allows DV to show up on the Apple TV)

Lots of reading ahead & maybe new calibration software!

Picked up a Radiance Pro recently. It's an older 2U chasis which is a minor shame, but at the price paid i felt worth it.

Sold as a 4446, it has 8 inputs and 4 outputs, no triggers or switched outputs. It only mentioned 9Ghz, however it appears to have 4 inputs at 18Ghz and 2 outputs at 18Ghz, so a bit of a win there.

Was running 010317 in terms of firmware which seems old and now upgraded and factory reset, as it was displaying in a strange window mode, but now filling the screen.

I've got it hooked up "wrong" in a quick and dirty after my processor way to test and get a feel for how things work and what it does before reworking my system. I've got a new audio processor to install too and getting covid has meant that Christmas will be delayed for when the GF comes over giving me some time to play with the new toys, so that's kinda a plus!

Got an Epson TW9400, 16:9 screen, so pretty basic there - I've done various manual calibrations on it in the past (HCFR) and have an OLD eecolour box that i use for 3D LUT (displaycal) for Bluray - Also got a Vertex for the Dolby Vision hack using an Apple TV / Sony x800 player

A Lumagen seemed the next logical step, mainly for DTM but also 3D LUT for Rec709 & BT2020

I know lots may have gone for a new PJ, but I really like the Epson and when something comes along to nudge me into that upgrade, the Lumagen will help get the best of that too!

So i've been playing with the DTM and i found a Long Youtube video which gives some hints and tips for starting off on this journey - It's basically Jim Peterson talking through some slides - I can certainly get an image improvement with DTM, though I'm still quite confused on a LOT of the settings.
Seems to suggest 4K BT2020 HDR -> 4K BT2020 SDR, though quite what projector calibration I use there I don't know, also seems to come out 8bit RGB, did look pretty good though!

I'm also curious if I should still keep the Vertex in the mix, I'm guessing i'd loose Dolby vision compatibility if I don't (The vertex basically enables the EDID, which allows DV to show up on the Apple TV)

Lots of reading ahead & maybe new calibration software!
Might be an idea to get your Lumagen professionally set up & calibrated its well worth it. There are a few of us that know the Lumagen menu system well & know lot's of tips and useful setup information. However if you want your lumagen setup the best it can be Gordon Fraser is the European & UK distributor & the main man where it comes to calibration with Lumagen setup.

merry Xmas everyone hope everyone has a grand day tomorrow. Happy holidays :beer:

Xmas light are on for a film o_O, just having a beer myself

0FCE87F4-3032-4F7F-B498-2743F504C783_1_201_a.jpeg

Might be an idea to get your Lumagen professionally set up & calibrated its well worth it. There are a few of us that know the Lumagen menu system well & know lot's of tips and useful setup information. However if you want your lumagen setup the best it can be Gordon Fraser is the European & UK distributor & the main man where it comes to calibration with Lumagen setup.

Aye....I know Gordon and there's some temptation here for sure and I may well go down that route later, even though I do like knowing how things work and how to do stuff myself!

The Lumagen does not support DV but it should not be a problem as Lumagen handles the dynamic tone mapping instead.

The Lumagen does not support DV but it should not be a problem as Lumagen handles the dynamic tone mapping instead.

I think the Lumagen process is independent and assesses each image using the flags to show scenes and blend settings accordingly (avoid too many jarring changes ?)

No, I didn't think the Lumagen did support DV directly - The Vertex LLDV hack spoofs an EDID which then allows DV content to show up, which gives studio led tone mapping. It works better than normal static tone mapping for a limited set of content (DV enabled).

However since the Lumagen can manipulate the EDID, they could, in theory, add that functionality!

The Lumagen does proprietary DTM, which is far superior and works on all content.

The real Q here is IF combining the two gives an overall better result, either working the Lumagen less or allowing it enhance the image more, than working with a non DV source?

I'm pretty certain Lumagen > LLDV that's not even a question!

But Lumagen + LLDV vs Lumagen ???

It's one of those, i've already got the bits so I'll probably have a play, along with a load of other things i'm testing etc

No, I didn't think the Lumagen did support DV directly - The Vertex LLDV hack spoofs an EDID which then allows DV content to show up, which gives studio led tone mapping. It works better than normal static tone mapping for a limited set of content (DV enabled).

However since the Lumagen can manipulate the EDID, they could, in theory, add that functionality!

The Lumagen does proprietary DTM, which is far superior and works on all content.

The real Q here is IF combining the two gives an overall better result, either working the Lumagen less or allowing it enhance the image more, than working with a non DV source?

I'm pretty certain Lumagen > LLDV that's not even a question!

But Lumagen + LLDV vs Lumagen ???

It's one of those, i've already got the bits so I'll probably have a play, along with a load of other things i'm testing etc
I don’t believe Lumagen can see/interpret the DV metadata as it’s a closed system. As you suggest, the DTM via Lumagen should be at least equal anyway.

I don’t believe Lumagen can see/interpret the DV metadata as it’s a closed system. As you suggest, the DTM via Lumagen should be at least equal anyway.

from what I understand of the LLDV style of DV is that it is player led and that player actually does the heavy lifting here.

My PJ (like almost all PJs) can't handle full Dolby Vision but the LLDV is squirted out in a similar fashion to HDR10 (Almost, but not quite identical).

from what I understand of the LLDV style of DV is that it is player led and that player actually does the heavy lifting here.

My PJ (like almost all PJs) can't handle full Dolby Vision but the LLDV is squirted out in a similar fashion to HDR10 (Almost, but not quite identical).
Sure, but the Lumagen can’t receive/interpret the DV data from a player and pass it to your projector, so it’s all moot, is my understanding. And it doesn’t matter, the Lumagen will analyse the frames/scenes of anything, any player sends it in UHD and adjust to ypur projectors HDR brightness/colour capabilities anyway, if you set it up properly.

Sure, but the Lumagen can’t receive/interpret the DV data from a player and pass it to your projector, so it’s all moot, is my understanding.

Not Moot because the Vertex hack - As mentioned the player does all the heavy lifting and puts out LLDV which is more or less a tone mapped hdr10

And it doesn’t matter, the Lumagen will analyse the frames/scenes of anything, any player sends it in UHD and adjust to ypur projectors HDR brightness/colour capabilities anyway, if you set it up properly.

Unsure on the doesn't matter factor which is why i need to test at some point. I certain KNOW that passing the stream from the Vertex works as I've done it, on rough watching between my Apple TV (DV) and my Fire TV (non DV) i preferred the Apple - But that may be down to the players and the media i was trialing.

I really need to test with a DV UHD disc, via the vertex and not :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom