1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lumagen ProHDP & Panny 50" 1:1 Mapping

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rscott4563, Nov 6, 2004.

1. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I've finally managed it and it was very easy to once I had the timing details.

I'll share my findings with you as it may help someone else with a 50" Panny display.

Here are the timing details courtesy of Edaly over at AVS

Scan Rate = 48.534kHz
    Horizontal Total = 1808
    Horizontal Front Porch = 38
    Horizontal Sync Width = 184
    Horizontal Back Porch = 220
    Horizontal Active = 1366 (Notice the Panny accepts the full 1366 pixels unlike a number of other 1366x768 plasmas which will only light up 1360 pixels in 1:1 mode)

Vertical Refresh Rate = 60Hz
    Vertical Total = 806
    Vertical Front Porch = 3
    Vertical Sync Width = 6
    Vertical Back Porch = 29
    Vertical Active = 768

It was very easy, I entered the values, then displayed the Lumagen's built in crosshatch test screen. The crosshatching appears quite dull.

I then reset the size/pos settings on the Lumagen back to default and then went in to the Panasonics service menu and started adjusting the vertical and horizontal position and size.

When increasing the size its added to the left and bottom only, so all I needed to do was first adjust both the vertical and horizontal position to get the active area of the screen right up to the edge of the left and top of the screen.

Then I started increasing the vertical and horizontal size until the crosshatching gets just about to where it fills the screen, the image will then snas in. This is very obvious to see when it happens, the crosshatching suddenly becomes very fine and sharp and the brightness increases a lot.

I've got the Lumagen connected with both the DVI and analogue RGBHV so I switched over to the analogue input and this needed a slight adjustnment to the plasma's positioning, size and clock phase, but snapped in just the same using all the same timing values.

As soon as Lumagen bring in test patterns for 1:1 testing I'll be able to definitively confirm that I have 1:1, but as far as I'm concerned I've got it....

Heres a before and after image of the crosshatch test pattern from the Lumagen.

Not snapped in
    [​IMG]
    Snapped in 1:1
    [​IMG]

I don't think these pictures really show how drastic the difference is but trust me its there.

Thanks all for your help.

Ryan :thumbsup:

2. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh almost forgot, my plasma's service menu values for vertical and horizontal size and position...

Horizontal Size = 85
    Horizontal Position = 7D

Vertical Size = 80
    Vertical Position = 81

I think the default values were all 80 so not much different from standard.

The benefit of using the service menu to alter these is that you can see actual values, whereas the normal Picture Pos/Size screen only has sliding bars which are bloody useless... Also once the values have been altered in the service menu they become the default values from then on in the Picture Pos/Size menu. The alterations for getting the analogue connection to snap in were done in the standard way using the sliding bars.

Ryan

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,968
  4. mupi

mupi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ryan,
    I have the TH-50PHW6 and am using it with a Crystalio with the following settings (supplied by pluggedin.tv):

Horizontal Freq.: 48.360
    H. Active Pixels: 1366
    H. Front Porch: 052
    H. Sync Width: 111
    H. Back Porch: 256
    V. Refresh: 60.00
    V. Active Pixels 768
    V. Front Porch 004
    V. Sync width 008
    V. Back Porch 026

These appear slightly different to yours, and the calibration disk with the crystalio has a 15 x 10 grid, so is not as granular as the picture you posted. I believe I have 1:1 mapping but am interested in the comment that you make about the picture "snapping" in - I have not actually observed this when I set mine up.

I'll try setting up with the values that you have provided -
    This is really useful info, thanks,

Muralee

5. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Muralee, are you using the DVI or Analogue RGBHV connection from the Crystalio?

I know the analogue connection is a bit flexable with its timing but the DVI is very picky so if you timing differs I'd say one of us isn't at 1:1...

I'd be really interested to hear your findings, as I said the snap in is very obvious when it happens.

Cheers

Ryan

6. mupi

mupi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ryan,
    My connection is via the analogue RGBHV, I thought I'd try that before deciding to spend on the DVI board. Sounds like I need to try your settings out tonight or over the weekend.

BTW, I have access to two service menus (one reading CAT Panel Sys 8.2, the other with initial input, input lock etc) - neither seem to allow me to set the panel default picture position as you describe - maybe you can PM me with the details for this ?

It sounds like your test pattern is internally generated by the Lumagen, the Crystallio has a calibration DVD which I'm accessing via an SDI source..

Thanks,
    Muralee

7. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I hadn't realised the Crystalio used a DVD for the test patterns and setup, this seems strange. As far as I know you can never create a proper 1:1 mapping test pattern from a DVD, the DVD is limited to a resolution of 576x720 is its a Pal DVD, if the Crystalio then upscales this image to the native resolution of your display 1366x768. This means that there can be no way that each pixel can be addressed individually to create alternate on/off pixels (such as in a chequerboard test pattern).

If I've got this wrong I'd be happy for someone from PMS to correct me and explain how a DVD source could produce an accurate 1366x768 on/off pixel pattern.

Plasma Menu Service Menu Settings

Go into the service menu
    Then access Menu IIC mode
    You then change which parameter to alter by pressing the up/down buttons on the remote
    You'll get to Pos./Size
    You can change between H Position/V Position/H Size/V Size by pressing the left/right buttons on the remote
    You then change the value by using the volume up/down button on the remote

Don't forget to write down the original settings just in case you need to revert back.

8. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Muralee

I take it your not in the US, if not and your happy using the RGBHV analogue connection, you may want to look at getting the timing values for 1:1 mapping at 50Hz as then you can avoid any frame rate conversion, this will eliminate the juddering you'll be getting at the moment with Pal material.

Cheers

Ryan

9. mupi

mupi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ryan,
    I'm here in the UK :). The Crystalio calibration DVD is an NTSC one.

When you get the snapped in image on the cross hatch patten, are all the horizontal and vertical lines a single pixel wide ?

I've tried both sets of settings and I'm able to get the Crystalio test patten grid horizontal lines to be 1 pixel high, but the vertical lines seem to vary between 1 and 2 pixels wide. I can see what you mean about the intensity changing to bright lines - I get this when I change the horizontal and vertical size/pos settings on the panel - but can't seem to get the vertical grid lines to all be 1-pixel wide. Which I suppose means that I am not at 1:1 mapping.

The crystalio has a menu for calibration which guides you through the setup. During this, the test patterns are displayed (scaled?) so that they appear as a reduced size image (I suppose this is the 576x720) in the middle of the screen, which can be moved across the panel viewable area for checking the mapping.

Just out of interest, could the RGBHV interconnect have any bearing on this ? I got mine from Maplins, and it probably isn't the best quality - not sure just a thought ?

I'll try and post some pictures of calibration screens I get later.

Cheers,
    Muralee

10. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So Muralee, how did you get on?

Cheers

Ryan