1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lumagen or Iscan ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Barend, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi folks,
    Finally getting ready to buy either the Lumagen Vision HDP or DVI model, or the iscan hd+
    Which one would you prefer?
    My main aim to get my Panny dvi board up and running on my Denon 3910, so some timing fiddling must be possible, and also I would like to have more control on the video parameters.

I noticed from Iscan only the hd+ has hdcp enabled.
    Also I am a bit confused as for the diffs between the Lumagen HDP and DVI versions, what are the significant diffs here as both seem to handle hdtv?
    None of this yet in Europe, but I want at least to be prepared for the future...

Also it seems most units have only hdmi/dvi out, no yuv?

Thanks!
    Barend

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Merry Happy Holidays...

DVI limited to 768P output. Also will not do film detection on 1080i sources or benefit from the forthcoming 10 bit scaling algorithm that is being worked on.

HDP: Will go up to 1080P and beyond.....will soon do film detection on 1080i sources. Will be able to use the newer more powerful scaling algorithm that they are working on just now.

Both have DVI-I outputs....these have the pins for analogue output. Both can be configured to output YPrPb, RGBS, RGBHV via analogue with the appropriate breakout cable. If you prefer you can choose to have BNC analogue output board fitted when you order the unit.

Both will accept the DVI signal from your DVD player and allow adjsutment of all the usual parameters as if it were a standard analogue type feed.

Gordon

3. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Hi Gorden

I have no exeperience of these units but should be looking for one to go with my Optima RD50, pioneer 868 and sky+ soon.

For my situation, are both the Lum HDP and iScan+ comparable or do you feel the Lum is better (as you sell Lum)?

Chris

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    I am the Lumagen distributor for the UK. I cannot comment on Iscan products as that would be pretty inappropriate. Thanks for considering Lumagen though....

Gordon

5. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Hi Gorden,

fair enough as this is a public place. :oops: ...anyway....

With the Lumagen, do you know of a device that you could connect to the rs232 port to auto switch the input aspect ratio from a sky RGB scart signal, i.e. might the PARC209 Plasma Aspect Ratio Controller work with it?

Also, mentioning no names (cough Liam cough), a little bird has told me that you can calibrate my Optima RD50 TV. and if true, you could also dem the HDP at the same time, is this correct?

Chris