Lumagen HDQ (good choice)?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Lesterjd, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Lesterjd

Lesterjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    :hiya: Everybody

Well I've checked out the AV Forum site many many times in the past and found the information and you guys to be very useful. So as this is my first post I thought I'd give you my first question ...... basically as we all know high def is due to come out soon and I have taken the dangerous path of upgrading again. The aim is to hopefully replace my existing stuff (Arcam 88+ and SIM Domino 20) with the following:

Arcam FMJ29, SIM C3X Lite and the Lumagen HDQ

How much difference would you think the Lumagen HDQ will make to this set-up with my existing DVD's bearing in mind I plan to get high def when the format war is over?

My laser disc player and freeview box will also be going through the Lumagen. Do you think it's worth paying out for the Lumagen HDQ or wait for something better?

Looking forward to hearing your answers.

Lesterjd

2. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +942
    Hello Lesterjd, and welcome to the forums. What you're proposing should be rather good, all of that equipment is fantastic, but can I ask if you have seen any of it for yourself? I don't think anyone has seen an HDQ in action yet, but we probably know exactly what to expect - excellent on films, and pretty good on video. There will of course, always be something better, and there are more advanced scalers from Calibre, Crystalio and Lumagen coming out shortly, which will have much more powerful processing. However, they will be a lot more expensive, and value wil be difficult to judge.

I think I would let the dust settle before making any decisions, and get a clear idea of what you expect to be watching - what sort of material and what source? With that sort of budget, you can't ignore the upcoming 1080p projectors. What would be in the back of my mind is what Blu-ray / HDDVD will do for a good projector.

Do you want to move quickly, because there a quite a lot of significant changes coming up this year?

Nick

3. Lesterjd

Lesterjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Nick

I've seen the Sim C3X and compared to Sim HT3000, I think the C3X was better and of course no rainbows not that they used to be a problem anyway. On the scaler side I probably be hoping to improve on the standard DVD through the Arcam, plus improve on the Topfield Freeview and the old laserdisc player s-video output.... eek. The big waiting game we are all probably playing with Blue-ray or HDDVD I hope Blue-ray will win, will be to conected one of them to the Lumagen more as a pass through conection, I suppose the scaler is also acting as a picture input expander, I don't want loads of cables all running to the PJ.
    I will take your advise and not rush in and buy, I tend to do that. Gonna get the Arcam soon though, getting fed up with s-video on my PJ. Plus should demo some scalers, it's going to be a good yeah. Thankyou Nick

Lesterjd

4. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +942
    Hi Lesterjd,

Do you really want to sell your Arcam? The DV88 is a very good player, and with an SDI mod, which would fit nicely with the HDQ, may give you a better picture than the DV79 for less expenditure.

Nick

5. Lesterjd

Lesterjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hello Nick

All ready sold the Arcam, going to be getting the FMJ29 I did think about SDI but well, when you are paying for all the other bits and piceses, you mite as well buy a lot cheaper DVD player and get that changed to SDI. With so many configerations you can get a bit lost as to what to do for the best.

Lesterjd