Lumagen HDQ and Arcam DV29: SDI or HDMI ?

R

rsjt

I've just acquired an Arcam FMJ DV29 that's replaced my Tag DVD32FLR and I plan to use it with my HDQ. I know the DV29 can be modified to have an SDI output. Is this the best route to go or will it be little different to using the 576i out from DV29's HMDI port to the lumagen. I'm feeding the Lumagen to a Panasonic 50PHD8. Grateful for any views. Thanks

Ryland

Timbo21

Hi Ryland,

I've had slightly conflicting views on this.

Elliot from PJ Hifi, who actually does the mods, has told me there is absoloutely no difference. I have also heard from a reputable source that if you go close to the screen you will see less ringing around edges.

I think whatever the truth is, the difference will be pretty subtle. I guess if anyone's going to do a fairly unadulterated HDMI output, Arcam will.

Having used a DV29 into a HDQ via HDMI myself, I do find that generally it will only show BTB if you notch the brightness up to about 136 on the HDQ, using 422 colour space. This may be better with SDI?

HTH,

T.

R

rsjt

Cheers that does help a lot. My gut feeling was it would be a pretty subtle difference and probably not worth the cost and hassle to get the DV29 modified. Thanks for your help.

Ryland

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Elliot and I have done the demo of SDI v HDMI on 29. Using a 1080p projector and looking at an 8ft wide screen from around 6ft away you can see less ringing on stationary patterns with the SDI. I don't think the difference is going to be visible on your plasma at normal viewing distance.

Gordon

R

rsjt

Thanks Gordon. I think I'll leave the SDI mod for now and see how I get on with the 29 via HDMI. Cheers

Ryland

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
The HDMI route with your screen will introduce HDCP (unless you have a stripper) which will mean you have to connect your scaler to TV via HDMI or DVI. I think that your screen may not accept native resoution at 50Hz, so for 50Hz material, you may introduce FRC judder when you output it at 59.94Hz which you may or may not find acceptable, it may not be so bad with certain material. If you find it ok then you're sorted, if you don't you may have to output 720p instead of native, which you may not find looks as sharp as native.

R

rsjt

Thanks. Yes I will have to output 720p at 50hz from the HDQ into my screen's HDMI input. I'll have a go at comparing it to using component out on the DV29 and getting the HDQ to output native res to my screen's RGBHV input. I have both settings set up already I think. Cheers

Ryland

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom