Lumagen HDP/ProHDP with 503MXE?

JensH

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a PDP-503MXE, but I have never been totally satisfied with the quality. When using the video inputs there is quite a lot of solarisation/banding.
I have therefore installed a HCPC to drive it via the DVI input. This gives fantastic colours with no visible solarisation, but it does introduce quite lot of other problems.
Depending on the source I get tearing and judder in different ways. I have tried different settings for the vertical frame rate. I believe, that between 68Hz and 73.4Hz it is running at native rate, but I am of course not 100% sure. Right now I am running it at 70Hz, but there is still some judder, e.g. when using D-Scaler. With my digital satellite receiver board it looks very bad, e.g. when watching football, because movements are far from smooth.

I have read some favourable comments about the Lumagen scalers used with the new 50MXE-1. Would I be able to get results close to this combination or do I have to replace the plasma with the MXE-1 (or perhaps even go back to a regular TV, e.g. the TX30PD36)?

Has anyone tried a Lumagen HDP with the 503MXE via the DVI? Any views on this combination compared to the HDP and MXE-1?

Jens

Jens

The advantage the MXE1 has over the 03MXE is the FRC setting that converts 50Hz to 100Hz and leaves 60Hz as 60Hz.

I'd still expect you would be more than happy with the VisionHDP into the 03MXE; though you may want to consider the HDP with its Optional Analogue (via BNC) RGB output - as you may find Analogue gives you more options over DVI with your display.

The tearing your seeing with the HCPC/03MXE combination will most likely occur when you Input a Video signal at what the Display thinks is a PC signal; its treating the Video signal (Motion) as it would a PC (Static) signal.

We've supplied a fair few of the outgoing Vision and VisionPro products to 03MXE owners and I'd expect you'd enjoy what the VisionHDP would do in your system.

Drop me a note and possibly we can work out a way for you to preview the processor in your own set-up.

Best regards

Joe

Joe

Thanks for your quick reply. I once had a fairly detailed description of the 03MXE and the frame rates in a correspondance with a guy from Pioneer in Belgium. It looks like the MXE1 has a definite advantage here. Since I ahve a background as a M.Sc.E.E. I do feel that I have got a good understanding of what is going on.

Can the MXE1 do frame rate conversion to 100Hz without solarisation problems?

It may definitely be a good idea to preview the processor. I may want to start up by getting the processor now and then replace the plasma later, perhaps to an even better version in the future. Black levels are of course still a concern with Pioneer, but apart from that and the solarisation (on the 03MXE) I think they have a very good picture.

I should perhaps mention that I live in Denmark. Would that be any issue?

Best regards

Jens

Jens

The MXE1 looks very good when FRC Mode 2 is invoked - and using the VisionHDP you don't get the solarisation your describing.

We have many customers in mainland Europe - though I need to talk to the Lumagen Distributor in the UK about supplying to Denmark.

Best regards

Joe

Where can I find information about the FRC Modes? I think I saw a reference to a document here on the forum once, but since I was not a member at that time, I could not get access to it. Since then, I have not been able to find it. Does anyone know where to find it?

Jens

JensH

We have the 200 page Technical Manual for the MXE1 Displays in PDF format - its a bit of a monster file and causes my BT mail box to crash every time I've tried to send it out.

If you PM me a FAX number I can send you the relevant pages.

Best regards

Joe

Joe

I don't have a fax at home and I am on vacation at the moment.

If you have the Adobe Acrobat writer you could perhaps extract the relevant pages and send them per email? Or you could split the file in smaller parts and send them separately.

Jens

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom