1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lumagen HDP pro and Pioneer 433 (not a review!)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by peter350, Aug 3, 2004.

1. peter350

peter350

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Not much is posted about the new lumagen products, fairly so as they are still in beta and have bugs to be ironed out.

However I thought a few observations comparing my Joe Fernand supplied HDP pro with the Vision it replaced might be helpful, i.e. just an indication of where Lumagen seem to going with their own products as opposed to ‘whose scaler is best’, and some thoughts relevant to 3rd gen pioneer plasmas only.

There was a clear improvement in PQ out of the box compared with the Vision, even with pal (where lumagen say they have improvements to make).

I have been watching for a few weeks now, mostly pal, sky via svideo and sdi and dvd via svideo and I haven’t noticed any problems or bugs that affected viewing. The bugs appear to affect component and rgbcvs.

I am using a Pioneer 433 and the HDP is very good at the frame rate conversion to 70hz these displays need for native rate (the old vision produced artefacts in the conversion) whereas I haven’t seen any problems yet with the new unit. Judder with pal at 70hz is minimal; judder with NTSC was apparent but I hope to improve on this by using 71.93 for NTSC.

Native rate also works via dvi out at 70hz and thus the HDP permits the all digital chain with sdi in and dvi out.

I bought the sdi modded sky+ box off pluggedintv who provided a very pleasant service and a box which has performed faultlessly so far.

For my own part, so long as the product works for normal viewing, part of the fun is downloading new software and watching the product improve.

Regards Peter

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Hi Peter,

The composite video line filter will fix the rgbsync issues you may have seen. If you want to have a go with one let me know and I'll try knock one up.

Next firmware should have more improvements for PAL.

Gordon
    P.S. Thanks for feedback