Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Lumagen HDP + Pioneer 868 problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gwc, Nov 1, 2004.

1. gwc

gwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi,

I am having a problem getting a picture from Pioneer 868 DVD player when connecting via a Lumagen HDP. The connection is made via a HDMI/DVI cable into input 1 of the HDP and is connected to a plasma through the BNC analogue out.

I am getting an on screen message "HDCP Input , Output Disabled" if I set HDCP to off (in the lumagen). I get a picture for a few seconds then the screen goes blank and the HDMI light on the DVD player goes off. If I re-enable HDCP the HDMI light comes back on but I get no picture.

I have tried this set-up using S-Video in instead of HDMI and everthing is fine.

I have the latest software installed on the Lumagen (Rev 101904 ).

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

gwc

2. Laura

Laura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I believe it's because the Lumagen doesn't support outputing HDCP encrypted material via the analogue outputs.
    When you set the HDCP to OFF, I believe the Lumagen tells the DVD player that it can't support HDCP material and the DVD stops sending a signal by HDMI.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,077
    Hello both

This is not Lumagen specific - any player or processor that sticks to the letter of the law (as laid down by HDMI.org) wont offer you the ability to Input HDCP encrypted signals and output them as Digital or Analogue with the encryption stripped out.

What the latest Lumagen firmware enables is the ability to Input an HDCP encrypted signal in one format, decrypt it, convert and process it to your preferred format and then outputting it as a Digital signal with HDCP encryption reapplied.

Best regards

Joe

4. gwc

gwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I quickly tried it with the AE700 PJ last night and was getting the same message and it also seemed to be losing sync (jumping).

Cheers

gwc

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,037
    GWC,

No scaler will accept HDCP encrypted signal and output an analogue one. It is against the HDCP licence. I presume you were using a DVI/HDCP/HDMI input on the AE700 though.

The HDCP firmware is still in beta. This was a basic release for bug fixing. If you are finding issues then you should report them to pat@lumagen.com Specifically tell him the source and the display, the messages you see and the effects on screen and the resolution and refresh rates.

Not all manufacturers have implimented HDCP the same way. Each is interpreting the guidelines differently. Scalers have to handshake with sources and displays and sometimes it's hard to work out where the issue is (display, source, scaler). So the more info you can give the guys at Lumagen the better.

Gordon

6. gwc

gwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Gordon,

I am connecting the 868 (HDMI) to the AE700 (HDMI) through the Lumagen using better cables (provided by Joe). The cable lengths a 2 Metres and 10 Metres.

Would it be better to have a straight HDMI link between the DVD and PJ and use the Lumagen for all the analogue sources.

I shall contact Lumagen with my observation.

Cheers

gwc

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,037
    OK,

Ultimately it will be best to have HDMI to Lumagen using 480i and 576i out of DVD player then on to PJ. The ability to accept the interlaced component HDMI signal is not in yet.

The Lumagens use what they say is the best DVI transmitter available but even with this 10M is a long way. Just yesterday I was at a chaps who had a 10m HDMI cable. We stuck adapters on end for DVI to HDMI to his Sony LCD and the image came and went as the signal drop off was too much to lock on to for the projector. Moving the scaler and using a 5M Bettercable DVI lead worked fine.

I think right now you have possibly got an issue with HDCP handshaking and the 868 (although we need other 868 owners to confirm this) and possibly also an issue with the long length to the pj.

I have had a support forum built to help gather info amongst beta testers. Its at
    www.convergent-av.co.uk/forum
    If you register then email me with your user name, serial number of your product and where you bought it and I can get you privilages for beta testing area. It's not going to get going for a few days but get in and register.

Gordon

8. gwc

gwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Gordon,

I have just registered.

I have e-mailed you the information at your e-mail address at info@convergent-av.co.uk.

Cheers

gwc

9. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,432
    I've got the 868 and the HDP but unfortunately at the moment I haven't got a projector to test it! Should have one by the end of next week all being well so I'll do some checking then..

Cheers,
    Andy.

10. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,432
    Got a projector now and not getting any joy either using HDMI via my HDP. Get a message on screen 'HDCP Input, output disabled' , this is on the projector HDMI input. Why would it say output disabled? I can understand it disabling the analog output but this is using the DVI output to the Z3. Very odd...

Andy

11. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,432
    Mind you... not on the latest version of the firmware I see.... will report back later..

Cheers
    Andy

12. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,037
    Andy,

The HDCP firmware is still a work in progress. The message you get suggests that the scaler isn't handshaking with the projector. There is new firmware posted that went up yesterday or night beore and it has solved the same issue I was seeing on my Panasonic plasma. So try that and if it still isn't happening then email in the issue to PAT,

Gordon

13. gwc

gwc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Andy,

Try the new firmware I loaded it last night and it cured the problem.

Cheers

gwc

14. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,432
    I am using the latest firmware and it's still not working... I have emailed Pat so will wait and see what he says..
    I just hope it's not something daft I'm doing!

Cheers,
    Andy.