1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lumagen dvi v's iscan hd

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by hutchys, Sep 30, 2004.

1. hutchys

hutchys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could anyone please make me aware of the differences between these two machines please. Are they similar or does one have a slight edge on the other? I will be looking to run this with an NEC 42 XM2S and will be watching SKY digital with a fair portion of DVD's. The DVD player is progressive scan if that is any help?

Thanks

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Well the only person who has seen both side by side in UK is Joe Fernand so lets see what he has to say....

Gordon

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    hutchys

The iScanHD has more buttons and a nice blue LED :)

Both products are very good - though both are also very dependent on you or your dealer knowing how to set them up and from a dealers perspective only one of the units has decent 'hands on' support in the UK; see Convergent-AV!!!

The iScanHD (and the soon to be released HD+) has the additional Digital Audio delay feature that some will feel is a necessity - though you can add an external Digital Audio delay to your system so its not such a big issue if you choose the VisionDVI.

For me the VisionDVI is a more flexible/programmable device than the iScanHD and in the right hands you have more opportunity to 'optimise' your video signal/system and get the best out of your Display.

Whilst your DVD player is Progressive capable you may want to run it in Interlaced mode to really see the Video Processor at its best.

The iScanHD tries to 'feel' less 'Technical' via its on screen user menus whilst the VisionDVI feels like you have to have a degree in video terminology to have any hope of understanding what the menu's do - the DVDO is definitely much more 'approachable' for the novice; though I've had a fair few calls from folk who bought them 'elsewhere' to save a few quid and had lovely bright blue screens and no idea how to get a video picture out of the iScan and no backup from the dealer who sold them one!!!

Running both processors into my own kit the iScanHD produces a slightly softer look than the Lumagen and if your looking to 'optimise' the set up the range of adjustments on the Lumagen lets you get the most out of your kit; using the VisionDVI into a Pioneer MXE1 Display for example lets you 'see' an extra two steps in the various contrast patterns in the AVIA set up DVD.

Lumagen and DVDO seem to have had differing ideas from the get go as to what a 'next generation' video processor should be capable of - Lumagen have put all the hardware they thought they required in from the start and various firmware releases have gradually switched certain input and output options on or made them adjustable - with some features still to be implemented as of the latest firmware release. See http://www.lumagen.com/update_hdp.htm

DVDO seem to have had a reaction to the Lumagen products in that the recently introduced iScanHD didn't have some of the key features promised in the lower cost VisionDVI (HDCP support - HD processing etc) and now the iScanHD is to be replaced by the iScanHD+ (no UK price as yet) and HD owners have to pay extra to have their unit 'upgraded' to HD+ status (again no cost has been set for upgrades in the UK). DVDO have also been busy with frimware upgardes - See http://www.dvdo.com/update/index.html

If you like to tweak and adjust then go with the VisionDVI - though I'd advise that you also budget for a Dealer Installation/ISF calibration; its the only way to fully ensure your getting the best out of the technology; and you can fiddle away for many hours afterwards if you want to get to grips with the technology without trashing your 'calibrated' set-up.

Any Questions please shout.

Joe